Are PCs holding back the console experience? (Witcher3 spawn)

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
I wasn't responding to you, when I made my last post (Hell, I didn't even quote you)! :confused:

I was asking anyone was there any actual live 2013 E3 TW3 demonstration gameplay footage (with gamepad)... since the majority of the outcry is about TW3 not looking like the initial reveal.

According to 2 Giant Bomb people, Brad and Vinnie, they say they saw it being played back in 2013 behind closed doors.. Now, how much of it was a real video game as opposed to a bunch of "hacked" together BS for demonstration purposes is something we may never know.

Does Witcher 3 use Gameworks, like the other recent titles that seem to have been downgraded?

Does Witcher 3 use Gameworks, like the other recent titles that seem to have been downgraded?

Unless Valve lets GoG Galaxy customers use Gameworks, I'd say nope.
And with the latest Skyrim mods controversy, I bet many companies will now be very careful about using Gameworks exclusively.

EDIT: Derp, I thought you were talking about SteamWorks. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, not Steamworks.

And I believe it uses Gameworks at least for the fur implementation. Not sure what other libraries it might use.

We'll know as soon as PC performance comparisons appear. If a R9 290X gets the same performance as a Geforce GTX 680, it's Gameworks...

Can't just be AMD's drivers?

No! :p

TW3 is using GameWorks and there are GW libraries in preloaded folders.
TW2 ran very well on AMD cards from the get go, we will see how it will fare with current edition. Anyway I see no reason for it to struggle too much on AMD cards.

Can't just be AMD's drivers?

As much as I love Nvidia hardware, I have never witnessed AMD GPUs running neck-and-neck with Nvidia GPUs when GameWorks is involved. From my understanding, Developers aren't allowed to share (Nvidia agreement) GameWorks core libraries (framework) that would allow AMD the opportunity on providing solutions/workarounds towards a better experience for AMD users. But that's the nature of the beast, when you have these partnerships....

I blame the developer and not NVIDIA. They go into that deal knowing they'll be taking a hit on AMD cards. I guess AMD marketshare is so low (it seems the majority of PC gamers are on NVIDIA these days) that it isn't a huge deal, but still sad to see IMO.

No! :p

TW3 is using GameWorks and there are GW libraries in preloaded folders.
TW2 ran very well on AMD cards from the get go, we will see how it will fare with current edition. Anyway I see no reason for it to struggle too much on AMD cards.

mm.. Yeah, I wonder how console-level GPUs fare on PC.

As much as I love Nvidia hardware, I have never witnessed AMD GPUs running neck-and-neck with Nvidia GPUs when GameWorks is involved. From my understanding, Developers aren't allowed to share (Nvidia agreement) GameWorks core libraries (framework) that would allow AMD the opportunity on providing solutions/workarounds towards a better experience for AMD users. But that's the nature of the beast, when you have these partnerships....

That sounds... anti-competitive, or maybe I'm misunderstanding how AMD wouldn't be able to provide support.

At least in this gen, you'd think they'd be optimizing well for GCN anyway. :-|

When discussing "platform A holding back platform B", perhaps folks need to focus on stuff that alters game design more fundamentally rather than just HW power/visual fidelity, like input devices, output devices and *mhm* demographic limitations™ or its perception thereof.

PC Games Hardware (German) did a comparison of the PC (sorry, setting unknown - anybody read German?) and PS4 graphics.

And the same guys PC Max vs PC Min.

Let's the gnashing of teeth begin..

Note that in the harbour, the PC can draw fewer boats and no birds when rendering water!!! Shocking! :runaway: PS4 is also drawing more beard in most scenes! TRUTH!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks rather identical to me.

I'm fairly surprised how well the min PC settings hold up. Ok, apart from the odd PS2 era texture (Geralt standing in front of the wall) and jaggies (noticeable on rigging on the boats in the harbour), it's not bad at all.

PC version is for tree huggers.

Slightly darker AO when he's standing in front of the wall. PC version is thus grittier.

PS4 version has the PC Master Race hair. This is bullshit.

PS4 version has the PC Master Race hair. This is bullshit.
All I can see is that he's rocking a difference 'doo on PC. In the PS4 version he looks like a console hooligan who doesn't know the difference between AA and AF.

Yeah I don't see much difference beyond the hair either.

Low and High detail PC look fairly similar too aside from some really ugly textures.

I suppose overall it looks similar to other recent large world games. Distant terrain is similarly flawed. Close up detail is nice. Flora is still not quite right. Etc.

Back