archie4oz...

G

You said this...

Well it's not quite that simple... After all, even I own part of the company (and so did Nintendo at one time), but that doesn't mean they're going to dictate where you develop.

sounds to me like.....hmmm...

Holy cow! Does it mean Sony and Square honeymoon period is over?

Not surprised if it is so. With the Nintendo deal thingy and reports of Kutaragi rushing back(from vacation?) and headed straight to Square, upon hearing that Nintendo thingy again.

:oops:

I doubt archie is going to want to comment on this...

but I'd like to add that I think that something is definitely up with Square. They have had a very low output on Playstation2, and there must be a reason for it.

For some reason, I think that FF:CC might be their only GCN game, at least for a while.

They have 4+ GBA games coming..

There's Unlimited SaGa, FFX-2, FFXII, Chrono Break, and possibly other titles you'll see on PS2 in 2003-2004. Also, even though they've denied it, there's a possibility that Xbox is getting at least one Square title. That's a lot of games.

Nintendo and Square = doom
Sony and Square = doom

next up
Microsoft and Square = :D

Square's like one of those 'good' symbiotic parasite thingies that only brings good to its host (Sony), like eating bacteria, etc. Cept in this case, it pumps out AAA software.

Well, should the parasite be removed from its host, as they are so deeply attached to each other, one of them will die. After a slew of AAA titles on the PSX (and PS2), I think Square and Sony fit that description. Should Square jump ship, I think all their loyal PS2-owning-fans would feel outraged & betrayed, and Sony would loose millions in lost sales. Thus the parasite dies off and the host suffers from its loss.

That said, other than a GC game here and there to keep their GBA license, I dont think Square's going anywhere.

zurich

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Chrono Break isn't an officially announced game yet? I mean, everyone knows it's coming, but I didn't think it was official? And Square confirmed that there would be an FF XII, but that's not really an announcement :p

You know what I'd like to see? And someone can shoot me if they want, but I'd like to see another Parasite Eve game, more along the lines of the first game. Aya deserves the Playstation2 treatment :LOL:

zurich said:
Square's like one of those 'good' symbiotic parasite thingies that only brings good to its host (Sony), like eating bacteria, etc. Cept in this case, it pumps out AAA software.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Love that Canadian humor. Did you write for Kids in the Hall?

If only Square had Game Designers...

Judging by the gameplay of their games they don't, they'd better make movies, that's what they do best.

After all, FF are just movies with monster bashing moment between them, aren't they ?

:p

Ingenu said:
If only Square had Game Designers...

Judging by the gameplay of their games they don't, they'd better make movies, that's what they do best.

After all, FF are just movies with monster bashing moment between them, aren't they ?

:p

From the looks of FF:SW, it doesn't look like they know how to make movies all too well ;).

They don't know how to make games all too well!

Squaresoft games are as deep as a kiddy pool. 99% pretty pictures with a battle system tacked on so that they can get away with charging $50 dollars a copy.

C'mon, FFX had a mini-map with a BIG RED ARROW that showed exactly where you needed to go to advance the story. I mean honestly, what's the fucking point?

You can say whatever you want about their games, but they sell. People like them that way, they make them that way. In therms of sales, they *are* AAA titles no matter if they fit your taste or not.

Btw, there are many other games (Diablo being the shining example) that don't have much depth to them, yet sell like crazy.

zurich said:
Well, should the parasite be removed from its host, as they are so deeply attached to each other, one of them will die. After a slew of AAA titles on the PSX (and PS2), I think Square and Sony fit that description. Should Square jump ship, I think all their loyal PS2-owning-fans would feel outraged & betrayed, and Sony would loose millions in lost sales. Thus the parasite dies off and the host suffers from its loss.

Parasite dies off?

Bull.

Look what happened when Square jumped ship to PSX in the first place. :-?

Mr. Angry Pants said:
They don't know how to make games all too well!

Squaresoft games are as deep as a kiddy pool. 99% pretty pictures with a battle system tacked on so that they can get away with charging $50 dollars a copy.

C'mon, FFX had a mini-map with a BIG RED ARROW that showed exactly where you needed to go to advance the story. I mean honestly, what's the fucking point?

Do yourself a favour and download an FF6/3US ROM and ZSNES or something, please, before you say that all of Square's games aren't deep... also maybe grab Chrono Trigger while you're at it :)

THIS is why Square should've stuck with Nintendo! The cartridge format would've stopped them from starting the FMV-whoreing trend in the first place... :p

I've played both of those. :) The problem with Squaresoft is that beyond a few tweeks to the battle system, their games have remained basicly the same for the past decade. Heck, in some ways they've actually devolved.

Mr. Angry Pants said:
I've played both of those. :) The problem with Squaresoft is that beyond a few tweeks to the battle system, their games have remained basicly the same for the past decade. Heck, in some ways they've actually devolved.

Indeed.

FFVIII, definite low point. Utter garbage. Lots of pretty FMV, good graphics (ick@the frame rate), LOTS of FMV, but otherwise crap.

They recovered some with FFIX though. It has some 20 minutes of FMV across four discs :)

I can't wait to see what Square's going to do with GBA. They'll be restricted by space once more... we should see the same old stunning art direction they've always put out, but this time maybe they'll once again actually be worth the cash?

Tagrineth said:
FFVIII, definite low point. Utter garbage. Lots of pretty FMV, good graphics (ick@the frame rate), LOTS of FMV, but otherwise crap.

I like to think of FFX as FFVIII 2 ;). Agreed on all points, but I don't really see the games for the GBA being that much better. Maybe slightly less annoying, but the whole formula for how Squaresoft makes games is just so done. We've played it all before!

It has some 20 minutes of FMV across four discs

It had a bit more, than that :)

FFX, is the one that doesn't have alot. Though I prefer for Square to rendered all their cutscenes, instead of this real time crap, that they are trying to do.

V3 said:
It has some 20 minutes of FMV across four discs

It had a bit more, than that :)

FFX, is the one that doesn't have alot. Though I prefer for Square to rendered all their cutscenes, instead of this real time crap, that they are trying to do.

Well, compare the amount of prerendering in FFIX to FFVIII or even FFVII. It's like half as much. :)

sounds to me like.....hmmm...

Holy cow! Does it mean Sony and Square honeymoon period is over?

I think you've read a little *too* much into what I was saying.

I was simply pointing out in a previous thread about M$ trying to buy shares influencing the company. Besides, they balked at Suzuki's asking price.

Not surprised if it is so. With the Nintendo deal thingy and reports of Kutaragi rushing back(from vacation?) and headed straight to Square, upon hearing that Nintendo thingy again.

I guess you're in for a let down then... The main interest in Nintendo was the AGB. Supporting the GCN wasn't really desired, and was simply a stipulation for getting access to the AGB. To dump Sony completely for Nintendo (or M$) would have been a total corporate suicide...

LOL! :LOL:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Chrono Break isn't an officially announced game yet? I mean, everyone knows it's coming, but I didn't think it was official? And Square confirmed that there would be an FF XII, but that's not really an announcement

Well they're both in production (FFXII) I believe is probably more than half done...

THIS is why Square should've stuck with Nintendo! The cartridge format would've stopped them from starting the FMV-whoreing trend in the first place...

This is precisely one of the most significant reasons for leaving Nintendo...

Parasite dies off?

Bull.

Look what happened when Square jumped ship to PSX in the first place.

Very different times with very different circumstances... :rolleyes:

Want float'em some $$$? It ain't cheap doing the fancy off-line scenes.

Maybe slightly less annoying, but the whole formula for how Squaresoft makes games is just so done. We've played it all before!

Well you can say that about pretty much any game (that didn't either start a genre or combine two or more in a new manner)...

archie4oz said:
I guess you're in for a let down then... The main interest in Nintendo was the AGB. Supporting the GCN wasn't really desired, and was simply a stipulation for getting access to the AGB. To dump Sony completely for Nintendo (or M$) would have been a total corporate suicide...

I believe it's the GBA GameBoy Advance, and NGC, Nintendo GameCube.
;)

*- edits: fixing quotes -*

Back