AMD: R8xx Speculation

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by Shtal, Jul 19, 2008.

?

How soon will Nvidia respond with GT300 to upcoming ATI-RV870 lineup GPUs

Poll closed Oct 14, 2009.
  1. Within 1 or 2 weeks

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  2. Within a month

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Within couple months

28 vote(s)
    18.1%
  4. Very late this year

52 vote(s)
    33.5%
  5. Not until next year

69 vote(s)
    44.5%
  1. Wirmish

Newcomer

[​IMG]

:grin:

EDIT: Sony's 4K Projector (4096x2160) needs four 1080p inputs, so it's perfect for the HD 5870 SIX.
    The 10,000-lumen model is recommended for screens of up to 40 feet.
    Optional lenses allow the new projectors to fill screens up to 70 feet wide or as small as 15 feet.
    Price ? Hum... only $114,000. :lol:

#2581 Wirmish, Sep 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2009
  2. psurge

Regular

This looks decent as well. Only 3840 x 2160 though...

3. Mendel

Mendel Mr. Upgrade
    Veteran

Happily though there's no bezel when using multiple projectors ;)

4. Jaaanosik

Newcomer

Think big, think 24 of them. :)

5. Fusion

Newcomer

6. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

So is that going to be the retail heatsink? Or is it just like that to keep out prying eyes?

7. Freak'n Big Panda

Regular

looks like retail HSF to me.

I'm a little worried about bandwidth starvation on this card. I was hoping for a 384bit bus but I guess it never came to be. Can't blame them, this'll be cheaper and they couldn't charge much more even with the added performance the extra bandwidth would have offered.

8. stevem

Regular

I can see the six mini-DP outs at the back (all on one card), but how many PCIe power plugs are going into the top...?

9. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Yeah I'm wondering that myself. The Hd 5850 looks to have similiar bandwidth and fillrate as the GTX 285. It will be interesting to see how that comparison plays out.

Looks like 6+8 pin? :huh:

10. V3

V3
    Veteran

Is that picture the X2 or the 5870 ?

11. chiadog

Newcomer

http://i32.tinypic.com/2s0xnc2.jpg

So is this the x2 part? (Deciphering the info from Kyle, 6 DP output may be the x2 part?) If not, may be 5870 is more power hungry than the 190w posted a few pages back. However, if it in indeed an x2 part, I wonder what is done to get it under 300w? Or this is just an early downclocked sample to get it there until the process/yield matures some more?

12. air_ii

Newcomer

I think they said 6 monitors per single GPU. Otherwise 24 panels would not be possible, as you can't cf 4 x2 cards.

13. MarkoIt

Regular

Actually i think it does. For example, in the 24 monitors - 4 HD5870 Six setup, each card is driving six displays. It must be so, because it would be impossible to use AFR for rendering 100 megapixel images (how much memory would it use?!). I believe they are using SFR, or whatever ATI will call it. And if they managed to resolve the problems of SFR, why would't use it for every kind of multi-gpu setup, also on a single monitor?
    And there are rumors of the HD5870 being dual-core on a single die (2x10 SIMD)
    and using SFR for rendering each frame.
    So, i think it's almost certain that Ati will use SFR as rendering technology for CF setup, and offcourse HD5870X2 included.
    Maybe we will gain something also on the performance scaling side.
    :wink:

#2593 MarkoIt, Sep 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2009
  14. AnarchX

Veteran

15. psolord

Regular

My thoughts exactly! What is it with people today? Has everyone gotten so rich?

It seems to me my friend that you don't want to see that this is exactly were are we heading to! Super expensive cards and you don't even care! You applaud it even!

No he isn't! He just doesn't want to be a corporate slave, is all!

The 4870 brought some huge performance gains compared to what was offered at the time at an awesome price too! Don't forget that. The 5870 will bring nothing more than that, as it was supposed to anyway, albeit at a higher price.

Calling a consumer greedy instead of the corporation, just shows how far they have succeeded in controlling us. This is sad!

===============

Just a sidenote. I think i missed the part where the 5870 at 399 is a 2GB/1300Mhz GDDR5 part. Well with 2GBs i guess the price would be OKish. Of course there's this Arabhardware net post, which is rather disturbing!:shock:

Well, as long as they don't price the 5870X2 more than 600USD and the bitches in my local shops don't shoot for an even higher profit, i could be a happy man.

16. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

The market was a different place when 4870 arrived than it is now 5870 arrives. Don't forget that either!

17. Rufus

Newcomer

This slide makes it pretty clear that it's 6 display controllers on 1 chip: http://gallery.hwupgrade.it/view-gallery.php?gallery_id=57&img_id=1544

I'm pretty sure that the initial cards released will only have 3 display controllers, and later (premium?) cards will be released with all 6. What Kyle's talking about is physical ports. A 3-display board will likely have 2 DVI + 1 DP, so you need 1 DP->DVI. A 6-display board will have 6 miniDP, so you'll need 6 miniDP->DP + 6 DP->DVI, or 6 miniDP->DVI (do those exist?).

18. Wesker

Newcomer

Have you gotten so spoilt?

Don't think that last generation's (RV770 vs GT200) pricing was following a trendline.

This seems like typical leftist hyperbole. As trinibwoy said; if you think the price is too high, then don't buy it. No one is forcing you to buy it.

While I'm all for competitive pricing amongst different companies, I'm not going to remain ignorant to the fact that companies such as Intel, AMD and Nvidia undertake tremendous costs to deliver these products to the general public. Also,you shouldn't forget that cards like the 5870, 8800 GTX, X1900 XTX and etc are high end cards, which are not produced in the same volume as their mainstream counterparts, hence that also goes toward the higher price tage.

19. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

20. air_ii

Newcomer

I'm afraid that's how business works. If it was your business you'd be interested in maximising its profits.

If you believe the price is too high, wait how the market reacts. If they set it too high, no one will buy it and they'll have to lower it anyway. Basic supply - demand law.