Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Very late this year

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 69 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Look, it's Dave!

Here's AMD's Dave Baumann showing off DiRT 2 on a triple-monitor setup.

dirt-three.jpg
http://techreport.com/discussions.x/17563

And a more technical article: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3635

Kyle said:
We can't tell you a lot about the video card since we are still bound by our Non-Disclosure Agreement until the product's launch date in a few weeks. However, AMD is allowing us to show you what is likely the most impressive feature this video card has to offer, besides the monster performance increase over current top end AMD GPU hardware.

Now would Kyle refer to the lowly HD 4870 as "top end AMD GPU hardware" ???

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/09/09/amd_next_generation_ati_radeon_eyefinity_technology

I started thinking.... wow lots of monitors -- great GIMMICK..

Then I started thinking about my setup as I have 2 monitors already. I now started thinking and pricing a 3rd monitor . I think we will see a lot of people who may make that leap. Basically to have more than 2 monitors you needed more than 1 video card.

I cna see use of this for my business and then think about how Aion will look on 3 monitors.

I think this is much more important than people give credit. Even the monitor companies are loooking planning new monitor setups.

But I bet a lot of people will be like me and say, "gee I can add another monitor for cheap".

That's what I've been thinking, was even Fuad in fact right, but everyone just thought he meant 60% increase over the single chip cards, when in reality he meant over the X2/GTX295's?
Or did he mean the literal meaning, instead of how it's used, and meant 160% over current single chips?

Well, not really: http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15436/1/

By a rough specification-based estimate, the Radeon HD 5870 could end up two times faster than the Radeon HD 4870 but realistically, you should expect the new card to be faster by about 60 percent across the board.

Or maybe he's just trying to justify his earlier claims.

What is all the excitement over this multi-monitor talk. The amount of gamers who will actually use this is probably .00000000001%.
Here's a thought though. Whats the cost of a 30" panel at the moment? Dell are still selling at ~$1600. Alternatively 2408's are about $549 with a 1920x1200 resolution, 3 of them comes to about the same price as a 30" panel, but results in a much higher ultimate resolution though. However the other difference is that the 3 panel scenario isn't calling for a >$1000 outlay for high resolution in one go - the point of this is that you can grow your pixels and alter your gaming experience at a rate that suits your budget.

[Edit] Sorry, posted before seeing Valzic's reply.

Oh holy crap so the 6 display controllers are indeed part of the single chip rv870 (meaning hemlock could in fact drive 12 displays in theory?). That just seems a bit over the top, though I guess it makes sense if you consider that notebook use case given where you want to support internal + 2 external displays driven both by notebook ports and docking station (so no kind of output port switching necessary). If notebook is the use case driving this primarily though it would definitely make sense for the lower end family chips to support this too.

Oh holy crap so the 6 display controllers are indeed part of the single chip rv870 (meaning hemlock could in fact drive 12 displays in theory?). That just seems a bit over the top, though I guess it makes sense if you consider that notebook use case given where you want to support internal + 2 external displays driven both by notebook ports and docking station (so no kind of output port switching necessary). If notebook is the use case driving this primarily though it would definitely make sense for the lower end family chips to support this too.

According to Anand, this could be the case: "At the bare minimum, the lowest end AMD DX11 GPU can support up to 3 displays. At the high end? A single GPU will be able to drive up to 6 displays." http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3635

People working in finance are going to be quite happy: driving 3 displays with a $70 graphics card is pretty nice!

Or then it was just another classic "let's throw something out there and hope it hits" with no clue whatsoever

Yes that's very possible too :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Anand, this is the case: "At the bare minimum, the lowest end AMD DX11 GPU can support up to 3 displays. At the high end? A single GPU will be able to drive up to 6 displays." http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3635

People working in finance are going to be quite happy: driving 6 displays with a $70 graphics card is pretty nice!
Well, it only says 3 displays as guaranteed minimum for low end, so 6 DCs on the 70$ card aren't guaranteed yet... (also doesn't that add quite some i/o hence 6 display controllers might increase die size too much due to pad limits on low end chips?).

Well, it only says 3 displays as guaranteed minimum for low end, so 6 DCs on the 70$ card aren't guaranteed yet... (also doesn't that add quite some i/o hence 6 display controllers might increase die size too much due to pad limits on low end chips?).

Sorry, wrote that a little too quickly. Still, 3 displays on the lowest end is pretty nice, and I suppose you'd be better off buying 2 low-end cards if you wanted 6 displays. Who knows, some AIB partner might even come up with a "Radeon HD 5350X2" or something.

I believe six is only on the x 2 versions.

From http://hardocp.com/article/2009/09/09/amd_next_generation_ati_radeon_eyefinity_technology

I know you are wondering if Eyefinity will be something you can use with your current monitors. The simple answer is yes if you have DVI LCD panels. Triple monitor configurations on the first-released cards will require a single DisplayPort adapter and the specifics on that are being worked out now. If you are feeing adventurous and want to go to a six monitor configuration, you will have to wait a couple months and require more than a few adapters if you want to use DVI connected panels. The optimum solution would be to use native DisplayPort panels however. Looking forward Eyefinity will be leveraging mini-DisplayPort in a big way.

which is slightly less ambiguous than other claims.

Back