AMD: R7xx Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.tomshardware.com/cn/382,news-382.html

HD4870 & HD4850 at first only w/ 512MB (1GB cards later), RV770 PRO ~9800GTX, RV770 XT ~30% faster. Engine clk: TBD (like i said before).

03RV770part2.jpg

04RV770part2.jpg

06RV770part2.jpg

Wait. 329 dollars for a RV770 XT ? :oops:
That puts it way above the retail price of a 9800 GTX, not to mention the huge gap between RV770 Pro and RV770 XT (40%+ more expensive for ~30% more performance).
Let's hope it delivers.
Is this slide official ?

@CJ: I know (see my posting about RV700 ES), but the clk-speed rumors going round this time are wrong.

@INKster; According to AMD a RV770 XT is 30% faster than a 9800GTX, has UVD2, DX10.1, Powerplay, etc. so the price semms to be right.

ATI and NVIDIA are now on different release schedules ... NVIDIA starts at the high end, ATI resigns themselves mid end using mid end chips in "SLI" to have some high end reach (which as long as they have a hard time competing at the high end is probably their safest bet). GT200 isn't really what they are competing against ...
Only because of the baseline architecture (R600) proved to be inferior to G80.

Prior to R600, ATI never implemented this dual GPU rubbish (minus the Rage Fury MAXX--but that's almost irrelevent now).

I guess we have to wait for ATI to move out of the shadow of R600 before they start competing on the ultra high end, monolithic GPU market.

Now imagine if AMD didn't drop the ball and had released a true high end chip last Fall with, say, 480 stream processors and a 512bit GDDR4 bus on 55nm. Wouldn't that be preferable to a HD3870 X2 and significantly lift the bar for the competition ?

You mean what R680 should've been, instead of the HD3870 X2?

- 55nm
- 256 bit bus
- 512MB-1024MB GDDR4
- 480 stream processors
- 32 TMU's
- 16 ROP's
- Universal clock domains akin to R600/RV670

Hm...Looks sort of like RV770, don't ya think? :p

That's not what JPR is saying about the quarters after the G92 and RV670 launches. Quite the opposite. .
I dont think AMD lost any market share after the RV670 launch.

http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20071228PD207.html

Also the numbers from JPR take longer to reflect the impact. It not something like the steam survey. ;)

They did it because AMD's similar GITG program didn't do so well.
That's what a company without money to seed developers gets into.

AMD really needs to be back in the high-end market.
Agreed and agreed.

I don't think AMD will return to the high-end, monolithic mega-chip market, at least not anytime soon. For now, they've chosen the approach of offering an affordable mainstream solution with a reasonable price/performance ratio and a CF-on-a-card solution for the higher end. Now there are two possible outcomes:
1) this strategy will be successful, earning AMD money. No need to change it, then.
2) it won't be successful and AMD will continue losing money. And nobody will go designing a huge GPU if they're broke.

I actually think AMD's strategy, thought forced thru desperation perhaps, may in the end be great for consumers. If multiple GPUs can ever be figured out to work significantly better than they do now it would be a boon to everyone.

I actually think AMD's strategy, thought forced thru desperation perhaps, may in the end be great for consumers. If multiple GPUs can ever be figured out to work significantly better than they do now it would be a boon to everyone.

Nvidia has a good point though. Making multi-GPU work seamlessly is dependent on high-speed off-die communication and a shared memory pool. The worst case performance for multi-GPU solutions today is just too low. Then again we've all learned not to worry about what Nvidia says in public.....

Well, without wanting to facetious or anything... if multiple CPUs was such a great solution why do we have 2GHz CPUs rather than 10 x 200MHz CPUs, and why were multi-core CPUs that last resort once clock scaling went wrong? If getting good performance out of multi-core CPUs was easy it would have been done already, and for CPUs multi-core is pretty much the same as multi-die-single-core when it comes to the software side (cheaper to build of course but that's integration for you).

GPUs are different for reasons which we're all familiar with, however they're now reaching an analogous hard-limit on their single-die scaling. But I don't see how multi-die is somehow going to magically become less undesirable or magically less of a problem now than it's been in the past. It runs counter to pretty much the whole ethos of large-scale integration which has driven the industry for forty years, and it makes the software more difficult too (which is the killer in my humble opnion). If SLI/X2/GX2 call it what you will was the right thing to do to give the consumer price/performance it would have happened already and we'd all be running 32-way SLI <think of a GPU from four years ago>.

I think what I'm getting at here is that being forced into a situation where you have to build multiple independent non-integrated units which aren't able to communicate with each other as efficiently and effectively as if they would if they were integrated really shouldn't be portrayed as win for anybody. Overall it's a worse solution for everyone. The consumers will end up buying "cores" that most of their software can't make effective use of, just like they do now when they buy dual-core and quad-core PCs because "it makes the Internet smoother". The games developers spend more time getting the code to work, time which the end-user has to pay for.

I don't think AMD will return to the high-end, monolithic mega-chip market, at least not anytime soon. For now, they've chosen the approach of offering an affordable mainstream solution with a reasonable price/performance ratio and a CF-on-a-card solution for the higher end. Now there are two possible outcomes:
1) this strategy will be successful, earning AMD money. No need to change it, then.
2) it won't be successful and AMD will continue losing money. And nobody will go designing a huge GPU if they're broke.

The first problem is how to implement the NUMA configuration between multiple discrete chipsets.

@CJ: I know (see my posting about RV700 ES), but the clk-speed rumors going round this time are wrong.

@INKster; According to AMD a RV770 XT is 30% faster than a 9800GTX, has UVD2, DX10.1, Powerplay, etc. so the price semms to be right.

I'll believe the 30% faster than 9800GTX when I see it in real world actual played benched games and not synthetics, fly-bys, walkthrus or cutscenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back