AMD Navi Product Reviews and Previews: (5500, 5600 XT, 5700, 5700 XT)

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by snc, Jul 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Also that, yes, which if true would be huge for AMD because they don't have the same engineering resources to send out to devs as nvidia.

CarstenS likes this.
  2. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

$400 for the 5700XT seems like a great deal if it's similar performance to a 2070. To myself and a lot of users, RT just isn't worth investing into yet (apart from maybe the enthusiast market at 3x the price) so those transistors are just wasted space and $$. That's why I bought a used 1080 after Turing release to get me through another couple of years.

The value of a GPU isn't determined by the die size, it's about what the market will pay for it and what other competitor products are selling for. Say thanks to Nvidia for the current GPU pricing and for allowing AMD to hopefully make a decent profit on Navi.

3. DavidGraham

Veteran

VRS needs manual activation to work, it was not activated during the test, and I don't think any tester will activate them.

pharma likes this.
  4. Pinstripe

Newcomer

How important is VRS going to be in the future? Nvidia claimed it can improve performance up to 20% in Civilization VI, but in Wolfenstein 2 it only provided an extra 1-2% boost. Is VRS even going to be relevant for 1080p gamers? Or is the real benefit for high resolutions only?

5. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Depends on the game's particular bottlenecks, and what hardware you're running. It might be more relevant to lower end hardware.

6. snarfbot

Regular Newcomer

Wow yea $400 tips the scales in AMD's favor, that puts it against the 2060 super which it should beat easily.

I might be sticking with AMD again this round, well see!

7. ToTTenTranz

I think in theory it only benefits large resolutions because pixel shading performance supposedly needs to scale linearly with resolution increase.

The tech is actually more usable for VR, especially when paired with eye-tracking. The general idea is to use higher detail in the zone where the eye is looking, and significantly lower the detail in the surrounding area. I doubt we'll have eye tracking on monitors, so the use in those is rather limited.
    nVidia even puts the feature under their VRWorks libraries.

Picao84 likes this.
  8. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

From what? It's bigger then ever before. Yes GPU prices are high thanks to Nvidia, but saying PC gaming is dead or is dying has been said since it's existence.
    Also, not everyone is wanting to buy the higher-end GPU products, where over-pricing occurs mostly. In the 90's and early 2000's, pc gamers had it even more expensive i think :)

Like said above, many have wanted PC gaming dead for some reason, for aslong i can remember, it never happened though. There's nothing to worry about i think, maybe the Stadia/PSnow/Xcloud things replacing consoles.... but even that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

9. Zaphod

Zaphod Remember
    Veteran

This tweet may be topical in that regard...

Ike Turner and Lightman like this.
  10. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

I can confirm at this point that the price cuts are real (or rather, E3 prices were just to see what NVIDIA does)
    $349 for 5700, $399 for XT and $449 for Annoversary

Lightman and no-X like this.
  11. Silent_Buddha

Legend

So, basically price it high because you know NV are going to respond in some way. Pretty much everyone knew NV would respond in some way, either with new product or a price cut.

Then wait until after NV responds, then reveal the real price.

On the one hand, if that was planned, it was well done. OTOH - I wonder how consumers will react to what at first glance appears to be AMD first being arrogant with price and then having to retreat from it after NV releases new products.

Regards,
    SB

12. DavidGraham

Veteran

AMD officially announced the cuts 2 hours ago .. mentioning the heated competition as a reason for them.

13. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Oh, didn't even see that, just knew that if our guy confirms them publicly it's free for all to know

14. snarfbot

Regular Newcomer

Well you know what they say theres no such thing as bad products just bad prices!

Lightman and iMacmatician like this.
  15. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

When does the review embargo end?

16. techuse

Newcomer

<12 hours i think

17. Per Lindstrom

Newcomer Subscriber

9 AM Eastern Time.

15:00 (3 PM) here in Sweden.

ultragpu likes this.
  18. PizzaKoma

Newcomer

19. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

Most useful benchmark leak ever. You sir have provided everything I need to decide on a GPU.

TheAlSpark likes this.
  20. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

For those unaware of the media plugin functionality, you can swipe right or left to see the other benchmarks in that imgur album. There are 21 in total.

Lightman and pharma like this.