AMD Navi Product Reviews and Previews: (5500, 5600 XT, 5700, 5700 XT)

Does anyone know yet whether the cards will support HDMI 2.1? Both versions are a fair bit faster than my 1070, so at the right price I might be tempted if it has HDMI 2.1. If it doesn't then it's not worth even thinking about for me.

Regards,
SB

Very nice improvement in power consumption over Vega. Looks like Navi will provide good competition in the $400-$500 range.

Does anyone know yet whether the cards will support HDMI 2.1? Both versions are a fair bit faster than my 1070, so at the right price I might be tempted if it has HDMI 2.1. If it doesn't then it's not worth even thinking about for me.

Regards,
SB
I believe it was already confirmed that HDMI 2.1 is not supported.

7nm and all that, but compared to Vega on 7nm, it is big improvement on perf per watt metric.

I guess being 1st gen with some R&D money stream finally kicking in, its not too shabby. Seems like a perfect fit for console.

280W for entire system with 9900K @ 5GHZ is really good.

Those Wolfenstein 2 benchmarks look pretty poor though. Unfinished Vulkan drivers or a hardware thing?
More like pared back compute, the 5700XT matches Vega 64 here. The game was also curiously absent from any AMD marketing material.

Probably drivers
There are no new drivers, this is the drivers reviewers got and tested with, it's the same situation as Radeon VII, AMD supplies the press with buggy drivers that have certain less essential features not working, till they sort the bugs out.

Out of curiosity, what are you looking for in HDMI 2.1 from a gaming PC? Is this for some kind of HTPC setup?

Later this year I plan on experimenting with a LG B9 or C9 OLED as my main monitor. So HDMI 2.1 will be key to have 4k@120 Hz with 4:4:4 Chroma on that display. I've already changed my desktop work environment to simulate what it'll be like (49" 4K in portrait on the side where the taskbar and all semi-permanent things will be and 55" 4k in landscape for main display and work/play items). This should minimize or eliminate the chance for permanent burn in...at least for the first 5 years or so. What concerns me is how the panel will be in the 5-10 year range.

For the first time ever, I finally don't feel constrained or that I need more desktop space when working. :D Looking forward to experimenting with OLED as well as 120 Hz. I'm tired of having to deal with backlight bleed with LCD panel display. This makes me look forward to eventually just having one large (75+ inch) 8k display as my main monitor with no secondary monitors as that would have 2x the desktop space of what I currently have.

Regards,
SB

7nm and all that, but compared to Vega on 7nm, it is big improvement on perf per watt metric.

I guess being 1st gen with some R&D money stream finally kicking in, its not too shabby. Seems like a perfect fit for console.

280W for entire system with 9900K @ 5GHZ is really good.
The RX5700 performs similarly to Vega 64 and draws 150W (!) less.
Alternatively, the RX5700 draws the same as the RX570 but performs at roughly twice that level.
Moving in the right direction.

Thanks. Nice with more data. It’s a bit symptomatic that power draw wasn’t measured (or at least displayed in a graph) at all. I hope the non helmet wearing reviewers provide a deeper look into that aspect in a couple of days, but performance seems consistent even at this early stage.

Back