AMD Navi Product Reviews and Previews: (5500, 5600 XT, 5700, 5700 XT)

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by snc, Jul 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Scott_Arm

Legend

Since AMD is giving away the algorithm for free, I'm hoping most games will implement it directly with adjustable sharpness. Then everybody wins. It is very nice to be able to force it in the driver, and hopefully dx11 support will come. Will be very nice for the next gen consoles.

PizzaKoma and BRiT like this.
  2. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

And to ensure it's implemented at the right rendering layer rather than simply a post-process on everything.

milk and Scott_Arm like this.
  3. Scott_Arm

Legend

yah, the implementations should be better.

4. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Yup, it's nice that AMD offers it up for everyone to use rather than hiding it in a black box and requiring developer NDAs and contracts to be able to see the source.

Everyone wins.

Regards,
    SB

5. itsmydamnation

Veteran Regular

Try Polaris to Navi.
    Same die size, same TDP, same amount of memory, double the price.
    actual BOM would be like +$50 USD ( SOC + GDDR6 premium) then Polaris.

6. SpaceBeer

Newcomer

8GB RX 470/480 were €250/280+, so €300 would be ok for RX 5700 ? On the other hand, even with these prices, Navi offers better perf. per price in comparison with RTX 2060S/2070. So why on earth wouldn't they take €50 extra on each card sale?

There is no way RX 5700/XT are more expensive in production than Vega 56/64, so they can easily be sold at current Vega prices (€280/350). But as long as nVidia is keeping current GTX/RTX prices, AMD should do the same. I doubt they'll lose any marketshare, but will for sure increase profit (margin)

7. del42sa

Newcomer

#227 del42sa, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  8. PizzaKoma

Newcomer

AMD had a multi-level jebait. AIB-cards, most, in the middle of august. AMD is officially looking into its x264 encoder performance and more due to the reported issues earlier this week.

9. gamervivek

Regular Newcomer

RIS is pretty grand,

Don't like it as much on vegetation, great in games with city buildings.

Great to see AMD making improvements in clocks, 2.3GHz with more power looks achievable and would be amazing if they can improve clocks at stock for bigger Navi. And if the bigger Navi is double of current Navi.

Friendship ended with DLSS, now RIS is my best friend. :grin:

Nemo, snarfbot and Lightman like this.
  10. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Yah the flowers on the side look kind of weird with it on, too much sharpening. But the grass on the other side of the road looks much better with RIS on. If I had to choose, I'd choose to have it on, as there's likely a lot more grass in the world than fields of those flowers.

Is that with control panel RIS or developer implemented RIS? If it's control panel RIS, I wonder if the developer would be able to adjust how it applied to the flowers on the side?

Regards,
    SB

11. gamervivek

Regular Newcomer

Malo likes this.
  12. Digidi

Newcomer

Thank you i'm so exited :runaway:

13. Scott_Arm

Legend

Does the radeon sharpening in the driver allow you to change the sharpness factor? There is some customization in the algorithm and it could be that AMD has chosen a default thats somewhat strong.

digitalwanderer likes this.
  14. snarfbot

Regular Newcomer

Its an on or off thing.

15. PizzaKoma

Newcomer

16. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

But they couldn't adjust the memory speed for Navi, so...

17. Betonmischer

Newcomer

I've tried to replicate what some of the reviewers achieved on the RX 5700 XT with software PowerPlay tables, and the results were quite disappointing. The extra power limit helped boost the clocks from 1750-1850 MHz all the way into the 2100+ region, but that did only amount for 5%-ish gains at best in gaming performance. Does anybody else have access to the Navi cards to corroborate my results?

I'm inclined to blame the driver, considering that switching from Adrenalin 19.5.2 to 19.7.1/2 also had a negative impact on GCN performance, pretty significant in some games such as Final Fantasy XV.

gamervivek likes this.
  18. snarfbot

Regular Newcomer

I haven't tried using the powerplay tables with mine, I'm able to do 2150 in wattman with an undervolt so im pretty happy, all it does is allow a higher power limit right?

Incidently I downloaded the Final Fantasy benchmark and it just crashes immediate when I try to start it. Also using the new drivers.

What was the best overclock you could get w/o the the sppt?

#238 snarfbot, Jul 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  19. itsmydamnation

Veteran Regular

I wonder how memory bandwidth limited the higher OC 5700XT's are. If it is alot ( kind of looks like it) then an OC 5700 might be able to hit around the same performance as an OC 5700XT. If thats the case and i can get a 1/2 decent AIB 5700 at the same price as reference then i will totally jump on that.

20. Betonmischer

Newcomer

Power limit up to +90%, and also higher voltages up to 1,25 V. Does your card actually hit those clocks under load? I found overvolting to 1,25 V to be necessary for sustained clocks above 2100 MHz. In some games lower voltage is fine, but those on the heavier side (Ashes of the Singularity is a prime example) demand 1,25 V for the GPU to remain stable.

Lightman likes this.