AMD GPU14 Tech Day Event - Sept 25'th

Will it not be easier to implement new features or even make evolve GCN1 based console when you have the advantage of a low level API access ? And Sony and MS have the possibility to upgrade the APU /GPU in 3 years and release a PS4 v2 and XB One v2 with better GPU ?.. They have allready do it by the past... ( without saying with process advance, they can got some real gain on TDP, performance ).

Add in full hardware/software backward compatibility and almost negligent development costs and 'turbo' versions of PS4 and XB1 in four or five years become very doable indeed.

Sooooo... Any release date yet for the big enchilada? All we're getting so far are nearly two year old product re-heated with a new cooler shroud on top.

Bit disappointing I'd say.

I expect R9 290 to have great performance, but I still (barring some big last minute surprise) feel a bit disappointed. And I felt the same way about the "new" stuff from NVidia earlier in the year.

The GPU scene seems to have gotten awfully boring lately. The red and green sides are serving up more or less the same thing with different flavors of BBQ sauce many times over. I guess architectures are maturing, process and ASIC development is getting more complicated, slowing down, and becoming more expensive, so it's not like this should be a surprise... but I do still miss the early days of 3d when things felt like they were changing at a much more rapid pace.

Hopefully 2014 / 20nm will shake things up a bit more in the AMD/NV camps.

I'm excited by it, normally we just get support for the latest dx version now we have mantle and a dsp
I never saw those coming.

The launch is next week... review the 15th... ( following the rumor )

Last edited by a moderator:
My good old watercooling supplier send me this today ..

EK Water Blocks is also working on a full-cover water block for the upcoming AMD® Radeon R9 290X flagship graphics card, based on the Hawaii XT GPU, which is due to release on October 15th 2013. Full-cover water blocks.

EK-FC R9-290X will be available in all five versions, and an aesthetic retention backplate will be available for purchase by October 18th.

Best regards,

EK Team

I'm wondering how low level access (if it's permitted at all) on the next gen consoles will work and how similar it is to Mantle in terms of accessible feature and interface. I know from:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-how-the-crew-was-ported-to-playstation-4

For high level access, Xbox One will be using a close to the metal version of DX from an interview:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-the-complete-xbox-one-interview

and that Sony has something called GNMX. Sony provides low level access to hardware using GNM which puts memory management at the hands of the dev and sounds similar to Mantle, but it's unclear if Xbox has anything analogous. It seems like console dev adoption of something similar to Mantle could really drive industry wide adoption of the standard.

Joke post? we know the specs, possibly benches; All that is left is price.

We've had one review from Korea a few weeks ago, a dubious 3dmark bench, only knew the whole specs (64 ROPs) 2 days ago and even the review date was in doubt. Compared to most releases this one has been pretty watertight.

Joke post? we know the specs, possibly benches; All that is left is price.

Ask and ye shall receive
Retailer Newegg let the cat out of the bag for the R9 290X pricing.

Though we still don't have a release date, Newegg has priced AMD's upcoming Radeon R9 290X at $729.99 before tax. TechPowerUp reports that an MSI reference design got its own store page with redacted pricing but that the HTML page for the page revealed the pricing. This means the high-end R9 200X will likely carry a $699 price tag.

Descriotion of "Mantle: Empowering 3D Graphics Innovation" session by Guennadi Riguer and Brian Bennett from AMD:

The small batch problem has been a serious challenge for PC game developers for over a decade. Even with major CPU performance improvements over that time, the number of draws that can be processed per frame hasn’t substantially increased. Coupled with the inability to control low-level aspects of the PC graphics subsystem, the small batch problem has hamstrung the quality of games and the overall gaming experience; until now. Welcome Mantle. Mantle is the next step in the evolution of 3D APIs, enabling the development of highly efficient and content rich 3D games and applications. Imagine the possibilities if many conventional API restrictions are lifted & you’re in charge of the GPU! In this talk we will present our design methodology and key features of the Mantle API. Learn how you can be a part of the 3D graphics innovation and unlock the power of your GPUs.

Back