Health, Food and Exercise thread

There have been some amount of talk lately regarding different diets, health, exercise and whatnot, and often those discussions pop up in multiple other unrelated threads, so I figured we have atleast few people here who likes to discuss these matters and perhaps this thread can be that place?

I myself have always been interested on this subject and lately have put more focus into it, mainly because I have had trouble keeping my weight down and I've got some health issues like the gout, somewhat high blood pressure and some concerns whether I was developing type 2 diabetes. I've basically tried many different diets and have had good success with them, but I've never truly put REALLY serious thought into how food actually reacts and transform our bodies, until maybe two months ago.

(copied from the movie reviews thread)
I know it's been some time since the Super Size Me and Fat Head discussion, and that it isn't a movie, but I thought it'd be interesting to some.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Basically a very good and scientific, but still enjoyable talk on the issues covered in those movies. It is long but worth watching IMHO - I was quite sleepy and still managed to stay awake ;)

I watched that a little while ago and thought it was pretty good stuff in general and can sincerely recommend everyone to watch it. Also In the movie thread there was talk about the documentary Fat Head and it contains some valuable information on cholestrol and how the accepted "truths" regarding these are mostly bogus based on very flawed science. Thanks to the internet age, this new information is starting to pop up everywhere and I estimate that within the next 5-10 years, there is going to be a change in the recommended food intake, despite heavy opposition from the loosing side.

http://robbwolf.com

I would also like to recommend hearing what a man named Robb Wolf has to say and reading his book and listening the podcasts would be good way to waste couple (hundreds :)) of hours.

Also a man named Mathieu Lalonde is hugely smart and talented man, an honest true scientist who knows what he is talking about. It seems like many of these other experts like Robb Wolf really appreciate this man and for a good reason. I think he is the best equipped individual I've seen to bring the info forth.

Mat is a Harvard Ph.D and researcher. He has run Nutrition Certifications for CrossFit and has contributed to Robb Wolf .com and other popular nutrition and Paleo sites.

Mat will show you the science behind metabolism and why certain foods are not in-sync with your body's design.

He will also show you why fat will not make you fat and some of the faulty research that let to this misleading concept.

Get the entire WebCast at www.academyoflions.com

a 5 minute excerpt of Mat Lalonde's popular Seminar on Nutrition and the Paleo Diet that Mat lead at the Academy Of Lions in Toronto in 2010.

That excerpt maybe is not the best, but the whole thing is. (It's very hard to get unless you purchase it from the link, I have it, but it's few gigs)
The whole seminar was about five hours and comes with PDF slides. This guy really nails this thing with very solid science backing everything up. I finished watching it few days ago and can really recommend it to everyone who is interested in this topic. Lot of stuff in it will fly over the head of most people including me, but it's easy to get the main points.

Lalonde is not as anti carbohydrate as most people who talk about fat or ketokenic diets, but also does not like fructose very much and makes a good case how you should approach the different macro nutrients and their different forms. Basically glucose is the best form of carbohydrate, it's what your brain and muscles use and only excess will be stored in liver or in fat. Too much of that is then bad also, but if you do lot's of sports, it's better to take some glucose

His general guidelines are pretty much inline with normal Paleo-diets, but everything is based on science and effects in the body. Many Paleo or basically any other diet advocat shares many similarities with religion etc. In different paleo forums for example people only care about what people ate 15000 years ago and no food that came after that date is fine, no matter whether that food is actully good or bad. Wulf and especially Lalonde is not that guy. They are about accurate information. Science should be about finding the truth, instead of finding something that suits you or benefits you.

I'm learning as I go, but as of this moment my food intake recommendation would be something like

-Fat should be your primary energy source and that fat should be mostly saturaded. Fats like animal fat, coconut oil, butter etc are the ones to get. With animal meat you should get grass fed animals. Avoid transfats like plaque, except the little amounts that are naturally in meats. Vegetable oils seem to be stuff you should avoid too, even olive oil doesn't really net you anything. Don't go grazy with fish oil supplements, 1-2g of DHA and Epa should be enough. Try to pay some attention that your omega6 and omega 3 intake ratio is between 3-1 to 1-1, nowdays people often can have ratios such as 20-1 and that is problematic and neither of those fats aren't needed in huge amounts, however if you eat omega 6 you should balance it with omega3. The ratio is important. Some nuts are pretty good, but don't go overboard. Cashews and Almonds atleast are good.

-Protein intake should be something like 1g per day per lean lb of bodyweight(1kg=2.2lb), I wouldn't recommend going much over 2.5g per lean lb of bodyweight, but mainly because it doesn't seem to be any benefits, not because something like 3g would be dangerous. Again grass fed animals or in general animals that eat what they would eat in nature is what makes their and indirectly our body compostion what it should be.

-Unlike fat or protein, there is no essential carbohydrate that you have to eat. Your body needs glucose, but your liver can make it from fats and protein. You can live fine and very healthy life without any consumed carbohydrates. If you do lots of sports it's recommended to eat some carbs. Moderate the amount of fructose though, so eating too many fruits is not good. Something like 30-40g of fructose and perhaps something like 150-200g per day should be the upper limit for even the most HC athletes. If you only do low heart rate exercise like moderate speed walking, you can cut carbs completely, a range of 40-100g seems to work well for most people and should be healthy in the long term. Grains should also be avoided and infact the wholemeal variants are worse.

Fat and Protein based diets cause different hormone responses in your body compared to carbohydrate based diets. Among other things they keep the hunger away much better, they also make your body very adept on burning fat as a fuel. With similar calorie intake levels your energy consumption is slightly higher than when living on carbs.

If you are vegetarian because of ethical reasons, you should still eat plenty of fat like coconut oil or avocado, avoid stuff like soy and seeds and don't go grazy with fructose. Also reading the book vegetarian myth might be something I would recommend, although I'm symphatetic of not killing animals especially duck quackers.

In general going grazy with supplements is not warranted and can be harmful. If you eat fruits in moderation and reasonable amount of vegetables and varied meats you should be fine for most. Too much calcium is not good. There is not a whole lot of people who really needs calcium supplements if their diet is fine, even without any dairy products in the diet.

Supplements I would recommend are Vitamin D, the D3 variant, about 100-150 micrograms per day, less if you get a lot of sun exposure, overdose is basically not possible though. Magnesium is important also, iodine, but mostly everything you get from good diet. I might be forgetting some, but the point is that supplements in hefty amounts aren't really necessary, can be harmful in some cases and often cost quite a bit of money.

Bottom line
No excess carb intake, tune your body for fat burning, eat your energy and cook mostly with saturated fats (don't burn the food) and eat enough protein if possible from natural grass fed animals and plenty of vegetables should be pretty good for you, even if especially the saturated fat thing might sound to some as a bad joke, it really isn't, the current food recommendations are the joke here.

Lastly I have to say one thing I was thinking yesterday. It's funny how men often make jokes about women staying in the kitchen and now of course there aren't women or men in the kitchen, basically the whole western culture has massively undervalued the importance of kitchen and the stuff we eat. When in reality, what we eat is the single most imporant thing in our lives Controlling what I eat is certainly a power I will not give to just anybody anymore. Hell I'm just a common man with somewhat average abilities, but I now know for certain that what we put in our bodies is basically the reason to a very large degree what also happens in our bodies. All the info is out there and I hope people are looking.

I myself gained again some weight last fall and was about 119kg in February. I'm about 111kg now and it's going down. This time I really have the feeling, that once I get my weight down, it stays down. I'm targeting something like 85-90kg. July first I should be under 100kg. Right now I eat about 60g of carbs per day and about 2200 calories and feel pretty good. I eat three times a day. I drink only water and some caffee, I dropped diet cokes and stuff like that completely. I've never drank much alcohol (in last 10-12years anyway) A glass of red wine sometimes is pretty much all the alcohol I drink anymore. I'll try to eat grass fed meat and organic vegetables/coconut oil/nuts etc. but the selection could be better.

I really appreciate people pointing out some of these things like the Fat Head and that Sugar Bitter truth to me and I hope others will chime in here whether agree, disagree or have something to say regarding the topic in any form.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not the biggest fan of High Fat/Low Carb diets for a very simple reason: serotonin. Along with a few hormones like ghrelin and leptin, it's probably by far the most important factor in a successful diet IMO. If you've got mood swings or are sometimes slightly depressed as a result of a lack of carbs (or for any other reason!) then you're going to eat too much unless you're very good at forcing yourself not to. Personally I don't have a very big appetite, but I love to eat even if I'm not really hungry, so I don't think high fat/low carb would work for me.

And yes, sugar in any form is a disaster when it comes to serotonin management. The Sugar Bitter Truth video is excellent stuff, unfortunately it doesn't mention serotonin though (it might be very interesting to consider antidepressant usage at the same time). Anyway if you take glucose-only snacks between your high protein meals, maybe you can get sustain high serotonin throughout the day with something like Atkins or Paleo but I won't try it myself.

More generally, just do what works for you while always remembering that something that works great for now might have negative long-term effects. And remember that none of this is going to let you cheat death :)

I tried Atkins a few weeks ago for a week. F*ck that shit. Too radical a change from normal eating patterns, and honestly you need to adopt something that's sustainable. So for me it's cutting out what I know is high calorie junk and managing portions while getting back into a good workout routine.

The Induction period for Atkins is two weeks, so two weeks is the needed commitment to turn your body into a fat burning machine.

For someone not very overweight, within a few months you could be eating salads and several servings of vegetables every day alongside steaks, poultry, fish, omelets, etc.

You could also be enjoying nuts like almonds and pecans for snacks, desserts like crustless pumpkin pie, too much stuff to list, really.

Even during induction you can eat a salad every day along with two servings of vegetables like spinach or broccoli.

I'm not the biggest fan of High Fat/Low Carb diets for a very simple reason: serotonin. Along with a few hormones like ghrelin and leptin, it's probably by far the most important factor in a successful diet IMO. If you've got mood swings or are sometimes slightly depressed as a result of a lack of carbs (or for any other reason!) then you're going to eat too much unless you're very good at forcing yourself not to. Personally I don't have a very big appetite, but I love to eat even if I'm not really hungry, so I don't think high fat/low carb would work for me.

The serotonin thing is interesting however what you wrote there feels totally strange to me. If anything my mood has been stable and I feel alert/clear headed. I do eat stuff like raw cocoa beans and cashews which apparently have mood uplifting effects, but I haven't really heard many low carpers ever complain about mood swings. Ghrelin and leptin balance should work a lot better in low carb situations.

Imo atleast half the problem with high carb diet is not the amount of carbs, but the type of carbs. Fructose causes lot's of problems and it is everywhere. It's not that bad when you get it from fruits, but the total load people are getting is often way too high. Also the science in lot of these books against grains for example seems pretty solid to me, however I've never personally have felt any problems with them and I have consumed them a lot. No problems whatsoever after I cut them either.

Edit2: Robb Wolf's podcast number 24 actually touches that serotonin issue quite a bit during the first 12 minutes or so of that episode, if you want to check that out.

And remember that none of this is going to let you cheat death :)

Heh I've made peace with that fact a long time ago :) I'm really not afraid of aging at all. I just become more handsome each passing year :LOL:

I tried Atkins a few weeks ago for a week. F*ck that shit. Too radical a change from normal eating patterns, and honestly you need to adopt something that's sustainable. So for me it's cutting out what I know is high calorie junk and managing portions while getting back into a good workout routine.

I remember when I tried Atkins few years ago for the first time. For me the transition period has never lasted more than three days though. In general things worked pretty well then, but my diet went too simple. Bacon and eggs and some prosessed sausages didn't get me too far. Workouts went ok aslong as I didn't do really high reps, but the food really started to come out from my ears.

Nowadays though, when I have put little bit more effort into it and learned to cook different kind of foods I've noticed that you can eat really versatile, tasty and easy to prepare food. I also feel that now that it's been about two months since I cut all sweeteners etc. from my diet that I taste everything better than I used to. The change feels almost as dramatic in that sense as when I stopped smoking.

Atkins and especially Paleo diets aren't really that strict with some of the carbs. You can eat plenty of salad and many vegetables. If you got some spare time, it wouldn't really hurt to read the Robb Wolf's Paleo solution book. It's pretty well written and has some pretty interesting stuff and even if you don't feel like going "all in" it might give some pointers that might feel right to you.

But yeah moderate exercise is also really important for the health and just by doing that people would be/feeling a lot better.

edit: Another worthwhile documentary with regards to food production and some other nasty things surrounding it is called Food.inc

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1286537/

I've droped 60lbs over the last year and a half. I did it by walking my nephew twice a day while i was unemployed ( i was 330ish lbs at my height ) and cutting portions.

It wasn't allways positve progress sometimes i'd gain a pound or two back from a big night out or a wedding. But over all my monthly totals would allways be down.

I found the first 20lbs and the last 10lbs so far to be the hardest. Once i droped 20lbs the walking became easier and i was so used to portions that it was really easy.

Dr.Evil: Welcome to the club, brother. :) I was converted in pretty much the same way last summer - I collected information from similar sources for a few weeks, started with Atkins-style diet and realized how much better I feel by eating properly.

I didn't and don't aim for much weight loss; I started from ~86kg, ended up to ~80kg in a couple of months and I'm keeping it around there. I don't get that 'not sustainable' line people often give about LCHF diets. You just eat well, feel good and don't have to think about food between meals. It's easy to go 6 hours between meals without getting exhausted feeling, and the compulsive snacking behaviour goes away. The biggest danger is going too low on calories without realizing it.

I have a pretty crappy system. I eat what is easiest/most convenient whenever I get hungry, (which is not often enough, I do 1 meal a day too much), I exercise by whatever activity my day brings me, and I worry about my health whenever it gets too problematic to deal with.

I've been thinking of reworking my system... :oops:

I don't believe there is anywhere near enough evidence supporting that low carb is the best diet for most people but I do like that there is debate and studies done to see what merit there are to it. People frequently bring up different native tribes who get nearly all their calories from fat and don't have obesity and heart disease but then you have to look at the Japanese, who get 80% of their calories from carbs and yet they are the skinniest people in the world. There's no ideal end of the spectrum for everybody in the world imo.

According to this guy who actually supports the paleo diet, apparently when you're at a weight you want you should still be getting at least 15-20% of your energy from carbs:

http://www.archevore.com/panu-weblo...acronutrient-part-ii-carbohydrates-revis.html

The reason is that your nervous system NEEDS carbs, it can't use fat as an energy source. It is possible if there's no other alternative for it to take glucose from protein via glucogenesis but that's not ideal. Your body isn't designed to be constantly "starving" and in ketosis plus you can be a lot more active if you're using glycogen then if you're burning fat directly.

People also have to realize that a diet that makes you lose weight is different than one that maintains a good weight. Once you are at your ideal weight, imo you have to incorporate a good amount of carbs if you want to have an active lifestyle (ie: aerobic exercise).

Don't diet to the extreme. Just eat as much as you need, not more, not less. For exercise my tip is don't sit all day long. If you must sit in front of a computer, practice horse stance or something similar, or get higher table and stand.

I wish a low fat diet had turned out to be the best because I have a much easier time cutting fat than cutting carbs.

basically the whole western culture has massively undervalued the importance of kitchen and the stuff we eat.
I guess you mean dietary wise, because gastronomically there are plenty of western countries where those are major parts of the cultural identity.

Although then I still don't see why you single out western culture, when eastern cultures favour agrarian diets as well ... just with rice instead of potatos or grains.

Dr.Evil: Welcome to the club, brother. :) I was converted in pretty much the same way last summer - I collected information from similar sources for a few weeks, started with Atkins-style diet and realized how much better I feel by eating properly.

It's easy to go 6 hours between meals without getting exhausted feeling, and the compulsive snacking behaviour goes away. The biggest danger is going too low on calories without realizing it.

Heh I was waiting for you to show up :smile: The great thing imo in low carb also is the hunger suppressing. You just don't get hungry like you do on "regular" diets. I don't know if still want to be branded as being in the club, because I consider myself as work in progress and always looking for new information. I think I'm more about healthy nutrients no matter the macro they are, but low carb is working for me now really good.

According to this guy who actually supports the paleo diet, apparently when you're at a weight you want you should still be getting at least 15-20% of your energy from carbs:

http://www.archevore.com/panu-weblo...acronutrient-part-ii-carbohydrates-revis.html

The reason is that your nervous system NEEDS carbs, it can't use fat as an energy source. It is possible if there's no other alternative for it to take glucose from protein via glucogenesis but that's not ideal. Your body isn't designed to be constantly "starving" and in ketosis plus you can be a lot more active if you're using glycogen then if you're burning fat directly.

Thanks for the link! I do feel currently that your body does work pretty well in a low carb state even if some things are not optimal. I did point out that glucose is not bad for you if your not eating too much calories. Like V3 said I also think not eating too much is the important thing, but low carb is a very good tool for not eating too much. It does take some effort to prepare varied meals, so you don't get bored with them. In general my opening post was a little too negative on carbs, even if I did mention on few occasions that some of them are not bad. Imo and more importantly many experts think that starchy foods like white rice and peeled potatoes aren't bad, when not overconsumed in calorie surplus state. Fructose is bad.

People also have to realize that a diet that makes you lose weight is different than one that maintains a good weight. Once you are at your ideal weight, imo you have to incorporate a good amount of carbs if you want to have an active lifestyle (ie: aerobic exercise).

You might have to use the compability view to see the graphs and stuff.
http://www.movescount.com/moves/move1740237

That was a pretty hard indoor bicycle session I had about a week ago. 1h average heart rate of 165 peak 202. Fairly long time over 170. I did that in a low carb state only after about 3 weeks of getting back into the gym, after having laid on my ass for 6 months doing nothing but eating like a first class idiot gaining about 20kg(44lb) of fat in that time. I was in low carb state longer than that 3 weeks, but I didn't start training until then. Now that's not there to boast or anything like that, and I've done harder and longer sessions in low carb in the past, when I've had more training, but to say you can't do active exercise in a low carb is imo a myth. I wasn't dying after that either, could have kept going

Heavy and many rep weight training is something where carbs really help, but low rep strenght training is ok with low carb. As far as I know when your muscles aren't burning glycogen, you also don't get lactic acid to that degree and atleast I can maintain fairly high work rate without many consumed carbs. The day after that I walked two hours with high pace, average heart rate of 148. I made it hard on purpose with extra clothing and some thermogenics that made my bodyheat to rise. I did catch a flu couple days after though, but so did everybody else around me :smile:

I guess you mean dietary wise, because gastronomically there are plenty of western countries where those are major parts of the cultural identity.

Although then I still don't see why you single out western culture, when eastern cultures favour agrarian diets as well ... just with rice instead of potatos or grains.

I should have said english speaking countries. A foolish oversight on my part.

nice thread!
heating a mc donald sandwich I got out of my fridge right now.

those suckers are nice in quite some way but don't have an everlasting effect. it's funny to have lots of them in my home and eat them for free :), convenient as I can put them in the oven or add mustard.

but I know from last time that I can recreate the "feel like shit" effect seen in the 'Supersize me' movie!

Lastly I have to say one thing I was thinking yesterday. It's funny how men often make jokes about women staying in the kitchen and now of course there aren't women or men in the kitchen, basically the whole western culture has massively undervalued the importance of kitchen and the stuff we eat. When in reality, what we eat is the single most imporant thing in our lives Controlling what I eat is certainly a power I will not give to just anybody anymore. Hell I'm just a common man with somewhat average abilities, but I now know for certain that what we put in our bodies is basically the reason to a very large degree what also happens in our bodies. All the info is out there and I hope people are looking.

this, exactly
what is funny is people take a lot of medication or drugs (my country is home to the biggest users of pharmaceutics, alcohol and cannabis in Europe)

Lastly I have to say one thing I was thinking yesterday. It's funny how men often make jokes about women staying in the kitchen and now of course there aren't women or men in the kitchen, basically the whole western culture has massively undervalued the importance of kitchen and the stuff we eat. .

I would agree that we may have massively undervalued the importance of heating healthy.

However, there are plenty of western cultures where the kitchen and the meal is one of the most important things in peoples lives. (hint: f. example italy)

I would agree that we may have massively undervalued the importance of heating healthy.

However, there are plenty of western cultures where the kitchen and the meal is one of the most important things in peoples lives. (hint: f. example italy)

yea , for my family we all eat together 90% of the time , even my sister , brother in law and their children come for dinner every night

Hehh, nice thread :)
About the Bitter Truth stuff, as I've expected even a quick Google search has produced a few articles debating its points. It really is the same with almost every scientifically based new approach, there's evidence to support it just as there's evidence to deny it. Then again, I guess there isn't that much special to add about eating healthy after reading this thread.

About exercise, I can add a simple but very good recommendation only: RKC kettlebell training is the single most efficient exercise I've ever done, after doing kung fu, tai chi (although those are obviously about the movement as well), jogging, standard body building, and even some crossfit in the past 16 years. Just a handful of simple exercises that you still need to practice a lot to get the form right; and they can be combined into wildly different training programs even within the same daily workout.
VO2max snatch training is a very good replacement for any other kind of cardio, and almost every strenght related exercise is performed while standing, giving significant lower back strength which is very healthy for us computer guys. It's even used by spine specialist doctors for rehabilitation, but of course they also suggest to start it before you have back problems ;)

Personally I only have two 1-hour sessions per week regularly, and still I've progressed quite far in just about a year and a half. Gained a lot of torso strength and muscle too, the only reason I have some excess weight at 80kg is that I ate badly during this past 5 months (we had a lot of work, long nights and weekends too). I'd still put myself at 10-11% body fat at maximum, but I don't like how it's mostly deposited on my lower back so after the E3 madness is done I'll try to get rid of that too. Honestly, I feel that I'm at my best fitness level at 33 and all I can see when I look forward is that I can keep on getting better for many years. All I'm missing is the forms and the sparring from the martial arts years...

Back