AMD FSR antialiasing discussion

• Thread starter Deleted member 90741
  • Start date
I think only the first link is working properly, but it seems he put the 3 comparisons in the first link.
Regardless, the difference is pretty big. Is this made using Ultra Quality, i.e. rendering at 1080p and then upscaling to 1440p?
you are right... The only link working is the first one. I think that, judging from original youtube video and where the screengrab is taken, he used Quality mode -without the ultra- for the only comparison that works as of now.

I remember that he used Performance mode for the other two. Yet performance mode looked better than the original upscaler in some ways, although it was obvious some detail was lost compared to the original upscaler, even on performance mode some textures looked crisper.

FSR looks more jaggy and oversharpen on skurim vr
Important disclaimer

This is a best-effort experiment and hack to bring this upscaling technique to VR games which do not support it natively. Please understand that the approach taken here cannot guarantee the optimal quality that FSR might, in theory, be capable of. AMD has specific recommendations where and how FSR should be placed in the render pipeline. Due to the nature of this generic hack, I cannot guarantee nor control that all of these recommendations are actually met for any particular game. Please do not judge the quality of FSR solely by this mod :)

yep, i also assume it is tweakable. like the various shaders on reshade right? so those that prefers oversharpen can oversharpen

How does it work? Is it enabled by default on quality mode? Is it configurable as a property in Steam VR? Does it replace the default scaling setting?

edit the openvr_mod.cfg to your liking and adjust the renderScale and sharpness parameters to your liking.

Contents of openvr_mod.cfg :
{
"fsr": {
// enable AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution
"enabled": true,

// Per-dimension render scale. If <1, will lower the game's render resolution
// accordingly and afterwards upscale to the "native" resolution set in SteamVR.
// If >1, the game will render at its "native" resolution, and afterwards the
// image is upscaled to a higher resolution as per the given value.
// If =1, effectively disables upsampling, but you'll still get the sharpening stage.
// AMD presets:
// Ultra Quality => 0.77
// Quality => 0.67
// Balanced => 0.59
// Performance => 0.50
"renderScale": 0.75,

// tune sharpness
"sharpness": 0.75
}
}

Thanks, I'll try it when I've had the chance. Fallout 4 VR runs decently enough on the RTX3070 with Oculus Quest 2 and render target circa 1800p, but the performance boost would be nice if image quality is similar, or if 2160p would be doable.

Yes, despite having mentioned it for over a year, Microsoft is totally just now starting to hire people to work on ML-based upscalers and we shouldn't expect pretty much anything from them for at least another 2 years.
Neither from them nor from AMD themselves, who filed a patent on the subject back in November 2019.

Strictly speaking they make no mention of upscaling there. ML has many applications in real-time graphics.

Such as? Honest question, I wouldn't know.
The Edge of Eternity's dev mentioned it for "style transfer for new art styles" but I don't know if he meant real-time though.

For the Xbox Series X, it is the support of DirectML. I don’t think it’s used much yet, but machine learning will allow awesome performance improvements (ML super-resolution), style transfer for new art styles, emerging gameplay, etc...

Regardless, this is most probably for upscaling. The subject has been popping up here and there lately, such as the one above.

Such as? Honest question, I wouldn't know.
The Edge of Eternity's dev mentioned it for "style transfer for new art styles" but I don't know if he meant real-time though

I think I read that Microsoft were looking into texture upscaling, e.g. ship with 1k textures and upscale to 4/8k using ML.

I've also heard discussion of it being used for animation.

Presumably Game AI would be another potential use.

First up on July 16, AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution updates are coming for Arcadegeddon, and Necromunda: Hired Gun -- then next week, Edge Of Eternity and Resident Evil Village will be updated with FSR support.
From the link above.

And the source code: https://github.com/GPUOpen-Effects/FidelityFX-FSR

And a couple (press?) slides from Videocardz:
AMD-FSR-5.jpg

AMD-FSR-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back