AMD FSR antialiasing discussion

• Thread starter Deleted member 90741
  • Start date
I don't think I am. There are already recent UE4 games shipping without TAAU ... (getting smart with console commands might come back to bite you)

Developers still need to enable TAAU (or any similar feature). There can be any number of reasons they choose not to including having already achieved sufficient performance on target hardware so no need to upscale.

Dota 2 received FSR support in recent patch

AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution

This update also adds support for AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution. This technique allows the game to render at a lower resolution and then upscale the results with improved image quality. The result is high quality rendering at a lower performance cost than full resolution rendering, which allows for higher framerates even on less powerful graphics cards. Players can enable this setting in the Video options by turning the "Game Screen Render Quality" to less than 100%, and then turning on the "FidelityFX Super Resolution" checkbox. FidelityFX Super Resolution works on any GPU compatible with DirectX 11 or Vulkan.

Dota 2 - Nemestice Falls and New Powers Rise

Interesting. So you can set an arbitrary internal resolution and FSR takes care of the rest?
Funny thing, I managed to set the slider to "100%", but it allowed me to enable FSR, so it's probably >99.5% at that setting.

I did some comparison shots and FSR has interesting behavior.

I have a twitter post going with a poll asking people to guess which image is which. I'm guessing the people here will be able to tell, as I noticed the more you know about rendering the more likely you are to figure out which one is using FSR:

I ask the people here to kindly not vote as I'm interested in what people who aren't from here think :)

It does not happen in God Fall at all. You can see that it does not based on the very first image that I posted of the menu 3d rendering.

I'm not sure I agree with that. I unfortunately do not have access to Godfall so I don't know how native 4K rendering should look, but looking at the neck areas on the side by side there it looks to me there's intentional blurring applied on the 1080p upscale and FSR images that's totally missing on the TAAU image.

I will try and make it so that I disable every single post effect that is not TAA or sharpening for the comparison I add to the website. So that people see everything as 100% the exact same between versions and so that they can honestly stop coming up with new ways to say "this testing is invalid" as that is what I imagine will happen if I do not do that.

Just ignore those that make these kind of comments, if they can do better testing their free to do so.

AMD FidelityFX - Super Resolution - Page updated with more details on how it works, high quality (20mb) comparisons, details on render time taken (1ms or less), etc : Amd (reddit.com)
How it works

FidelityFX Super Resolution is a spatial upscaler: it works by taking the current anti-aliased frame and upscaling it to display resolution without relying on other data such as frame history or motion vectors.

At the heart of FSR is a cutting-edge algorithm that detects and recreates high-resolution edges from the source image. Those high-resolution edges are a critical element required for turning the current frame into a “super resolution” image. FSR provides consistent upscaling quality regardless of whether the frame is in movement, which can provide quality advantages compared to other types of upscalers.

FSR is composed of two main passes:

• An upscaling pass called EASU (Edge-Adaptive Spatial Upsampling) that also performs edge reconstruction. In this pass the input frame is analyzed and the main part of the algorithm detects gradient reversals – essentially looking at how neighboring gradients differ – from a set of input pixels. The intensity of the gradient reversals defines the weights to apply to the reconstructed pixels at display resolution.
  • A sharpening pass called RCAS (Robust Contrast-Adaptive Sharpening) that extracts pixel detail in the upscaled image.

I'm not sure I agree with that. I unfortunately do not have access to Godfall so I don't know how native 4K rendering should look, but looking at the neck areas on the side by side there it looks to me there's intentional blurring applied on the 1080p upscale and FSR images that's totally missing on the TAAU image.

TAA and TAAU are different. It may be possible that certain PP-effects are processed differently from the native rendering.

TAA and TAAU are different. It may be possible that certain PP-effects are processed differently from the native rendering.
As they may be when comparing 1080p to 4k.
It's quite strange that sometimes camera fx like DoF are not tied to degrees in view, but to resolution of an image. (Or in some cases something is bugged with some features. ;))

Back