Am. Football games 2008 PS3/X360

BTW, I noticed the thread title has changed.

Any ideas on how the futbol games are shaping up for this year?

Konami used to use Renderware on the PS2. So did MLB The Show.

Now MLB has achieved 60 fps with their first PS3 game, presumably without using Renderware.

What will Konami do and did their PS2 games ever hit 60 fps?

2K games isn't much better on tech either, compared to other games.

NBA2K7 got great reviews for gameplay but it was 30fps, while Sony's NBA game was 1080p60..

no, actually NBA 2k7 was 60fps on PS3 and was capable of 1080p last time I heard.

as joker noted outdoor environments are a different animal

no, actually NBA 2k7 was 60fps on PS3 and was capable of 1080p last time I heard.

as joker noted outdoor environments are a different animal

NBA 2K7 is one of the few PS3 launch games that supports 1080p. The game looks nice in "true HD," but you're more likely to notice the aliasing around players' bodies, as well as blurry names and numbers on their jerseys. All of this extra resolution comes at the expense of the frame rate, though even in 720p, the action gets choppy.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/sports/...rt&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;review&page=2

Without any insight into EA's development, this discussion is just fanboy fodder - like it is on every other console forum. There is no technical reason both versions are not identical. EA is a business and when allocating resources they went with the strategy that maximized return. American football is popular in NA, where the 360 is strongest and has the largest user base. Is there a mystery here?

There is no technical reason both versions are not identical.

Are you suggesting that EA intentionally nerfed the PS3 version because the install base on the 360 was larger? Or that you have insight into EA's development, and deduced that because of the 360's larger install base, more resources were allocated to that version to achieve better results? If the discussion without such insight is fanboy fodder then why contribute your opinion to the tread? Just curious.

Are you suggesting that EA intentionally nerfed the PS3 version because the install base on the 360 was larger? Or that you have insight into EA's development, and deduced that because of the 360's larger install base, more resources were allocated to that version to achieve better results? If the discussion without such insight is fanboy fodder then why contribute your opinion to the tread? Just curious.

No nerfing, just if they spend their time on the 360 and do a port at the end the result will be unoptimized for the PS3. I doubt EA touched the SPUs beyond pre-packaged stuff like sound. It's like when they took Quake 4 from the PC and did a quick port to the 360 and only used one thread, bad frame rates. Again, what mystery is there, it's EA they have a rep for a reason. Maybe Sony should send some pros to EA and help them out like they did with Epic and Codemasters?

Maybe Sony should send some pros to EA and help them out like they did with Epic and Codemasters?

Its not that EA doesn't have incompetent coders, in contrast to every other developer\publisher, is that EA tries to put as much as they can into a game before the launch date, wheras other devs finish the game, then set the launch date.

Its not that EA doesn't have incompetent coders, in contrast to every other developer\publisher, is that EA tries to put as much as they can into a game before the launch date, wheras other devs finish the game, then set the launch date.

I meant pros with the PS3/SPUs, in house guys. I see your point though, they can't really "ship it when it's done" with sports games. Since they made Madden 2007 and things don't look much different, what did they do with that year? Maybe they need to spend more on developers and less on marketing.

i had a look at some of the screenshots of the new madden for the current gen of consoles + it looked like last gen (maybe slightly higher polygon count)
ie it looked absolutely terrible
how did this get to be one of the biggest franchises?
is it gameplay alone, or just reputation (ie it used to be pretty good but gets worse each year)
surely theres a market for competition (look at the driving genre, admitly that would have more fans being a worldwide thing)

i had a look at some of the screenshots of the new madden for the current gen of consoles + it looked like last gen (maybe slightly higher polygon count)
ie it looked absolutely terrible
how did this get to be one of the biggest franchises?
is it gameplay alone, or just reputation (ie it used to be pretty good but gets worse each year)
surely theres a market for competition (look at the driving genre, admitly that would have more fans being a worldwide thing)

Heh, you don't know much about Madden, do you :)

EA have an exclusive license deal with the football association of the USA, the NFL. Nobody else can produce football games referring to real-life, contemporary football teams - and fans playing this game want to play with their favorite team.

I see your point though, they can't really "ship it when it's done" with sports games. Since they made Madden 2007 and things don't look much different, what did they do with that year? Maybe they need to spend more on developers and less on marketing.

Well, the game looks a tad better and it runs at double the framerate... Thats a huge improvement.

The point is, other developers have been able to get 60 fps on the PS3 within the first year.

If EA never delivers 60 fps for the PS3 SKU, does that mean the machine is inherently flawed and incapable of that kind of performance?

Of course not.

We may not have insight into EA's developmental process.

But we can witness their results and the results of other developers, including sports games developers and make some inferences.

The point is, other developers have been able to get 60 fps on the PS3 within the first year.

How does this relate to anything? So what? I ran Quake 3 @ 555fps a couple years ago... Framerate alone doesn't mean anything so why are you talking about it like its a measure of graphical capabilities?

If EA never delivers 60 fps for the PS3 SKU, does that mean the machine is inherently flawed and incapable of that kind of performance?
No. Did anyone state anything like that?

I was talking about the Ps3 version, unless you are implying 2007 ran at 12fps.

Love your mathematical capabilities. 30\2 = 15 btw.

Its just like being in the SC5 thread where you claimed 4x AA = bullshot for the X360.

whats your point anyway? Yes, Madden could be better (on all platforms), any game could be better...

Love your mathematical capabilities. 30\2 = 15 btw.

Its just like being in the SC5 thread where you claimed 4x AA = bullshot for the X360.

whats your point anyway? Yes, Madden could be better (on all platforms), any game could be better...

Somehow I was thinking 25fps, my wife was walking through the door, but thanks for being a **** like always.

Back