NPD September 2011

5 years ago
sep 2006 NPD for ps2+gamecube+xbox+xbox360 = ~600k
now its > 1000k for only 3 consoles

More like PS2 +X360 only in 2006 vs X360+PS3+Wii in 2011.

Xbox 1 was dead in every sense of the word back then and Gamecube wasn't much better. PS2 and 360 did 566k out of that ~600k, GC did 42k and Xbox 1 only 6.5k. PS2 was pretty long in the tooth by then also, even if it was the best selling console for the month.

edit: But yeah sales are much stronger these days. Sony was the only one pulling good numbers in the past with Xbox1 having decent months every now and then .

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were the MS marketing folks (which I'm not, this is pure speculation on my part). I would plan a pricedrop for just before black friday. It would have the biggest psychological impact at that point, and could easily nuke the wii during it's traditionally strong holiday season.

They are still selling well compared to competitors. Price-cut will eat through their revenue and profit. Unless expected unit sell with a price cut exceeds the current unit sell, they would not touch the price.. Well, look, Sony is basically selling a hardware with Bluray with 50$ cheaper price tag and the competition still beats them. MS also has pretty solid lineup for the casual audience with still the cheapest HD console. With the right marketing, I am pretty sure that they will have a solid holiday this year also.

Next year is another story. If they want to launch Xbox 720 at 2013, they definitely need to cut the price at least 50$ sometime next year, and another 50$ during 2013 to open a space for 400$ console.

Gamasutra's article is up!

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6513/npd_behind_the_numbers_september_.php

jul-sep-asp.png

Only Call of Duty bested Madden for the entire year. Relative to other Maddens I don't recall but flop it certainly did not.

Thank you both. If you're curious why an euro would be interested in Madden (I'm not) I was trying to get the GW3 numbers into focus.

That ASP must include some additional Kinect hardware costs, though, as it will include the Kinect SKU's.

But I agree, overall they should be pretty profitable (add in a ton of paying Live customers too). Going to be outsold by PS3 worldwide though over the next couple quarters if they dont cut price $50.

How do they calculate hardware price ? Including peripherals, or just the basic hardware unit ?

Ah, at least the article acknowledged that PS3 has been selling at a higher average price all along.

Article also commented that MS used the Windows PC + free 360 promo to drive unit sales (e.g., during Summer). It's actually on NPR (National Public Radio) a couple of months ago. They noted that the promo could cut both ways. The girl whom they interviewed mentioned that she got the bundle mainly to sell off the 360 to offset the (already cheap) PC price further. How did they calculate the average hardware price if the 360 was bundled for "free" ? And why wasn't ASP brought up during that period ? @_@

How do they calculate hardware price ? Including peripherals, or just the basic hardware unit ?

The single box price of the unit sold. So if it's the standard 4GB with a single controller, then that is one price. If it's a SE (eg: Gears 3) with 320GB + 2 controllers, then that is obviously a higher price. And if it's a 250GB with Kinect then again that's a single sale with a higher price than the standard 4GB.

'Peripherals' such as controllers, kinects, moves, etc only count (for NPD purposes) as separate when sold outside of a console box.

If the vendor creates an "expensive" Kinect bundle and then gives a good discount, it would be an effective sell -- especially for existing owners who are replacing their current unit (or buying a second one). It's a good strategy to build Kinect into basic OS support... something which Sony has completely failed to do with Move. ^_^

EDIT: It may not guarantee more profit for the vendor though. Say fictitiously... if Sony bundles HMZ-T1 into PS3, and give a deep discount. The average selling price will presumably be higher than regular PS3 prices, but the vendor could be losing $$$ per unit sales (as investment), especially when marketing dollars are taken into account.

Ah, at least the article acknowledged that PS3 has been selling at a higher average price all along.

Article also commented that MS used the Windows PC + free 360 promo to drive unit sales (e.g., during Summer). It's actually on NPR (National Public Radio) a couple of months ago. They noted that the promo could cut both ways. The girl whom they interviewed mentioned that she got the bundle mainly to sell off the 360 to offset the (already cheap) PC price further. How did they calculate the average hardware price if the 360 was bundled for "free" ? And why wasn't ASP brought up during that period ? @_@

The 360 was rung through the register at its normal cost the reduction in price occurred on the PC. ASP is "brought up" when NPD is "gracious" enough to give enough data.

Back