Am. Football games 2008 PS3/X360

Tap In

Legend
looks like 60fps for football (Madden and APF2k8 and NCAA) on 360 and 30fps for PS3 versions.

confirmed the Xbox 360 versions of Madden NFL 08 (August), All-Pro Football 2K8 (July), and NCAA Football 08 (July) will run at 60 frames per second, whereas the PS3 editions are locked at just 30fps. In the simplest of terms, this means that the 360 versions will run smoother and faster, and you'll have an easier time noticing subtle animations.
Now, you'd think Sony would be doing everything in its power to make sure these system sellers are par with -- or better -- than Microsoft's version. That's not the case, as Sony seems to have a "hey, we can do it -- why can't you?" attitude. "We have already proven that sports titles can run on the PlayStation 3 at true HD with 1080p output with NBA 07," says Dave Karraker, Sony CEA's senior director of corporate communications. "If you have questions about specific third-party games, you should speak to those publishers."
seems like optimizing on PS3 is harder still for 3rd parties.

personally I'm going with APF2k8 July 16th. :cool:

Sony has to dig themselves out of the hole yet they won't even try? I just don't get it, if I were Sony management I would be in talks with the developers at those studios and in constant effort to make sure the version on the PS3 is at least as good as the one on the 360. Even if the "average" user doesn't notice it, it WILL be mentioned in reviews on which version is better and that WILL hurt PS3 image perception even further. Just out right retarded that Sony is letting this happen, and then making comments like that!

Confirmed, how? Is this like the story about how they couldn't do horse armor because of memory?

... thats the problem with having a slower selling system. You lose 'lead platform' status and there lacks enough financial incentive to optimize for your exotic silicon.

Its a much bigger problem for Sony than simply calling up devs.... More resources are going into the 360 version because it will be more profitable by a factor of 2x-4x. Every gen superior hardware thats sells less gets average ports. (N64,SMS,XBOX1,GC..)

Yes, where is anything confirmed about 60fps vs 30fps?

What? Are you talking about advantages? It was confirmed certainly at least for the EA titles that they were 60FPS on the X360 and 30FPS on PS3. Now, the advantages are subjective but I'm certain EVERYONE will agree that 60 is better than 30.

What? Are you talking about advantages? It was confirmed certainly at least for the EA titles that they were 60FPS on the X360 and 30FPS on PS3. Now, the advantages are subjective but I'm certain EVERYONE will agree that 60 is better than 30.

I was asking where the confirmation was, it says confirmed in the link, yet there was no quote from the publisher or dev. It reads like sensationalist journalism, which very popular now a days on the net.

Madden 07 on the 360, which I own, ran like a dog. The game was not 60fps and when you brought up any game menus they slid out at like 5fps. Suddenly they have it running at 60fps?

Anyhow, I only buy a football game every other year, so I don't have to pick a platform this year.

It seems that finally developers are making huge strides with 360 development. All EA Sports games are going from 30 fps to 60 fps this year. They seem to have a bit reduced details here and there, but it's a good change nonetheless. I wonder if PS3 versions of football games will have abit better graphics to compensate that?

I'm sure PS3 versions will be 60 fps, devs just need more time.

I was asking where the confirmation was, it says confirmed in the link, yet there was no quote from the publisher or dev. It reads like sensationalist journalism, which very popular now a days on the net.

Madden 07 on the 360, which I own, ran like a dog. The game was not 60fps and when you brought up any game menus they slid out at like 5fps. Suddenly they have it running at 60fps?

I dont know why the first truly non-rushed, designed for next-gen, version showing vast performance improvements would be a surprise. Anyhow this is right in the provided link, indented:

OK, we will. After seeing Sony's response, Todd Sitrin, EA's vice president of marketing sports branding, replied:
"We want to make sure that we give the best experience we can on each platform. In designing a game, there are all sorts of tradeoffs that include frame rate, visuals, features, AI, etc. Football is an extremely challenging sport to replicate because of the number of people on the field, their interaction, and the scope of the environments. As you can see, every company making a football game this year made a decision that the best experience for the Xbox 360 included 60fps whereas the best experience for the PS3 was 30fps. We certainly believe that both the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions are our football products are outstanding experiences and recommend that each gamer look at the entire experience, not just one aspect. We think they'll be very happy no matter which version of the game they play."​
Hopefully EA gets their NHL product up to 60frames on 360 as well. The 2k7 one was a bit more fun to play last year because of that.

Hopefully EA gets their NHL product up to 60frames on 360 as well. The 2k7 one was a bit more fun to play last year because of that.

I have read that NHL 2008 for 360 is also now at 60fps. 2k series was 60fps last year (NHL, NBA) and the animations looked much better IMO than EA's 2007 (30fps) games.

"We have already proven that sports titles can run on the PlayStation 3 at true HD with 1080p output with NBA 07," says Dave Karraker, Sony CEA's senior director of corporate communications. "If you have questions about specific third-party games, you should speak to those publishers."

If I'm Sony, I'm sending a team to EA today to find out what problems they are having and offering some advice on how to get the results. Not sure how the operate but that seems like what they should be doing. I know MS has dev coordination teams that specialize in helping to solve some issues seems like Sony would be doing likewise especially with new tools now becoming available.

Thanks expletive I missed that late last night. I did see that 2K denied to comment.

So you missed two aspects of the article first time around? Two large parts of it indented one of which (the largest) you missed? :rolleyes:

So you missed two aspects of the article first time around? Two large parts of it indented one of which (the largest) you missed? :rolleyes:

So far all of your replies have been useless. You want to add something, try using the quote feature. I was wondering where the confirmation was, not 1up's comments.

So far all of your replies have been useless. You want to add something, try using the quote feature. I was wondering where the confirmation was, not 1up's comments.

They were in the article, the one I told you to read but you clearly did not do so. You might have skimmed but you certainly did not read it or else you would have seen those two two indented quotes.

"We have already proven that sports titles can run on the PlayStation 3 at true HD with 1080p output with NBA 07," says Dave Karraker, Sony CEA's senior director of corporate communications. "If you have questions about specific third-party games, you should speak to those publishers."

This is an apple to oranges comparison. There is a *huge* difference between an indoor game vs an outdoor game with regards to how much rendering power is needed. Making an indoor sports game run at 60fps is cake compared to an outdoor arena title. Aside from some obvious elements like needing far more geometry for things crowd, city scapes, large arenas, etc, the lighting is also far more involved. You also have to deal with weather, sky, and on and on.

This is an apple to oranges comparison. There is a *huge* different between an indoor game vs an outdoor game with regards to how much rendering power is needed. Making an indoor sports game run at 60fps is cake compared to an outdoor arena title. Aside from some obvious elements like needing far more geometry for things crowd, city scapes, etc, the lighting is far more involved. You also have to deal with weather, sky, and on and on.

thanks for the insight joker (from a dev 's POV)

can you tell us... is the idea of expecting Sony to help a 3rd party optimize some of these things something that would happen? or does it just not happen in the real world between these console makers and the 3rd parties on this level where they are trying to match specs with the multiplat release?

Also, are you possibly familiar (can you share) as to why they may not be meeting the same fps on PS3?

Last edited by a moderator:
can you tell us... is the idea of expecting Sony to help a 3rd party optimize some of these things something that would happen? or does it just not happen in the real world between these console makers and the 3rd parties on this level where they are trying to match specs with the multiplat release?

It does happen in the real world, it's just taken Sony some time to catch up to Microsoft with regards to helping 3rd parties. Early on with our PS3 build, we basically had no help from Sony and had to fend for ourselves. Early on in the 360 project we were able to fly to Microsoft and literally spend two days in a room with a build of our game running, and go over everything with some of their high level engineers. We went over cpu performance, pix grabs, the works. Quite the contrast in support! I think Sony got the message though and they are significantly more helpful today with things like Edge, GCMHud/Replay, Spurs, PS3Devcon, etc...

In the end we don't need Sony and/or Microsoft to optimize out code for us. We just need good tools and some guidelines, we can take it from there. Microsoft got there first, but we have that with Sony now as well. There is no longer any mystery about the PS3 hardware, we know what we need to do and we have the tools to do it.

Also, are you possibly familiar (can you share) as to why they may not be meeting the same fps on PS3?

No clue with regards to whats going on with EA's PS3 build, it could be a million things really. 60fps in an outdoor arena game on PS3 is our target as well. We still have lots of time to optimize, but we're already running 30+fps easily. Then again, we're using all 6 spu's this time which helps significantly.

Back