All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2020 Edition]

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by wco81, Jan 26, 2020.

1. goonergaz

Veteran

You said "Worth noting that at the beginning of this gen, digital download only accounted for around 5-10% on average. We are going into next gen with 50% digital to start with." Based off a chart from EA saying that it was currently 49% from the last quarter.

The implication is that 'digital sales have grown massively, big shift from physical to digital since 2013'.

I'm simply saying the data isn't clear cut because;

1) At the start of the gen all games were full price and there were not many to buy
    2) At the end of the gen you can buy litterally hundereds of EA games in sales, this has been compounded by lockdown which was in place for over 1/3rd the quarter

So whilst digital sales are up (and I'm not saying otherwise) I'd like to see more detail, how many were full price? Because that's data that actually means something. That's data that will show how much digital purchases have increased because it'll be like for like...or certainly closer to a fair comparison - because it may be 50% going into next gen, but how much of that is cheap toot? EA don't see any figures from the 2nd hand physical market.

2. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

A dollar for EA on an 'on sale' digital purchase could well be worth more to EA than a full retail new box edition sale.

3. goonergaz

Veteran

I don’t disagree, either we’re arguing about buying trends or overall profit?

I thought we were arguing buying trends and the implication that next gen will start at 50% of new games being sold digitally? Or at least a significant increase on last gens 5-10%?

Also is this units or money?

4. pharma

Veteran Regular

Nintendo smashes Switch sales view; says Animal Crossing is device's fastest-selling game

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nintendo-results/nintendo-smashes-switch-sales-view-says-animal-crossing-is-devices-fastest-selling-game-idUSKBN22J2B6?

Silent_Buddha and BRiT like this.
  5. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Units. EA said "49% of our units sold through were digital rather than physical".

6. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I wonder what it was at the end of the 360/PS3 generation. I think that makes for a better comparison because, as you say, the dynamics of the console-buying public and decisions to be made, are very different at the start of a generation and years after it has matured.

edit: typos.

#86 DSoup, May 8, 2020
    Last edited: May 8, 2020
    goonergaz likes this.
  7. goonergaz

Veteran

So could be just 10% of income- I know it all adds up, but as I said, could just be lots of units from big sales (and there have been quite a few recently)

8. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Nope.

upload_2020-5-8_12-19-38.png

goonergaz, AzBat, AlphaWolf and 3 others like this.
  9. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

It's even possible that physical media is down to just 10% - 15% of total revenue.

10. goonergaz

Veteran

So in 2017 ~15% of income was from full game digital downloads?

11. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

No, that says 59% of revenue in 2017 was already from Digital.

PSman1700 likes this.
  12. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

Physical media probably wont exist in the future, or be a niche market, which it seems to be getting already now.
    I cant even imagine buying anything disc based anymore, both pc and console.
    PC was first with this digital, like most things we see things happen there first and then the console following.

13. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

That does include revenue other than full games which is what he wants to make it about.

It also includes PC and mobile, so the chart isn't in sync with your earlier quote other than to say digital has been increasing dramatically in every category.

To goonergaz's point. Digital full game downloads had increased by 230% for the period 2014 to 2017.

goonergaz and BRiT like this.
  14. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Looks like it. That doesn't change what's happening here though and you're drifting between arguments (making points without really specifying what the argument is for them). 50% of unit sales is digital. Portion of revenue from those digital sales is something else, but with packaged goods costing more, the overheads of those may see more or less profits for EA than the download titles.

Here's another one:

upload_2020-5-8_17-55-23.png

Net revenue from Full Download games is 40% of net revenue from (Full Download + Packaged Goods And Others). Live services would include download games as part of a subscription sale.

No matter how you cut it, digital is at least the equal of disc sales going into this generation, and the greater part of profitability. It's the money maker for the console companies too.

pharma, goonergaz, DSoup and 2 others like this.
  15. goonergaz

Veteran

Sorry, I took the original comments as 'at the start of next gen, when games are released 50% of sales will be digital' - which is kind of implied (depending how you read it.

Anyway, the data was in the other post I just didn't do the math;

2012 6.5%
    2013 5.6%
    2014 8.8%
    2015 9.3%
    2016 11.4%
    2017 14.9%

Be interesting to have 2018 & 2019 data to complete the picture.

16. goonergaz

Veteran

I thought that was the implecation from the original post, soirry...I just am interested in the buying trends of new games - this for me is the important
    data that truely shows buying trends.

17. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

On digital vs. physical, from Sony's 2019Q4 financial released yesterday:

[​IMG]

It's worth remembering that for physical software, unless a game is bought directly from Sony (or a Sony store), in most cases Sony will only take a traditional publisher cut for the games they publish - which is obviously not all, i.e. EA, Activision, Ubisoft and many others self-publish. For digital, Sony will take their publisher cut (caveat as before) and the retail cut for all games sold through the PS Store.

I.e, they are not directly comparable, but the trend (sales income from physical down, sales income from Digital up) is clear.

goonergaz, BRiT and pharma like this.
  18. jayco

Veteran Regular

Stolen from resetera:

PS4 close to reaching gameboy in units sold (118M) . Probably won't be able match DS or PS2 (155M).

disco_, Nesh and DSoup like this.
  19. Xbat

Veteran Newcomer

Fantastic op on resetera with all the info needed. They may not get to PS2 numbers sold but there profit is already superior unless I'm making a boo boo somewhere.

It means to me that these next gen consoles are going to be subsidized, it's just to important to get people into your eco system not to in my opinion.

disco_ likes this.
  20. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

All depends on if they can engineer a super-cheap device. Although I don't feel that has the selling power of the PS2 super-slim which I think sold to a different audience for SingStar, EyeToy, and other odd titles, rather than selling on the strength of traditional console games.

jayco likes this.