All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2020 Edition]

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by wco81, Jan 26, 2020.

1. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

I think they aimed for 399 since the beginning, seeing the hardware and the success the PS4 was at that price. Anyway, why's there a PSVR system pictured in the tweet? Possible (optional) bundles?

2. chris1515

Veteran Regular

Because they speak of VR but the article is not beyond a paywall

https://www.ft.com/content/08f620d1-a433-41e6-af7c-a12335880076

PSman1700 likes this.
  3. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

GoG is a money loser.
    Sure, it's a game platform distributor and there's some value in it, but it probably doesn't count much for CDPR's perceived value.
    They really need to diversify and make more games in parallel, otherwise they won't survive any failed game release.

4. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

for ms gaming is up 81% year over year and 52.6m active xbox users.

Game pass continues to grow.

I like GOG so its a shame that they are having issues. Hopefully when the new program launches it will pick up. I still buy mostly on steam but there are other games I get on GOG. I did cancel my Cyber Punk preorder however.

5. tuna

Veteran

PSman1700, pharma and eastmen like this.
  6. pharma

Veteran Regular

DSoup likes this.
  7. DSoup

DSoup meh

In my jaded experience, when people are talking revenue rather than net profit, there either isn't any profit or so it's marginal as to barely be worth the effort of the operation. I like GOG though, I hope it sticks around.

BRiT and pharma like this.
  8. Silent_Buddha

Legend

One thing to take note of is that GoG has been investing heavily into a new launcher. That has 2 effects. In the short term it's been eating into their profits (one reason that Epic Gamestore is still a pile of feces, as they don't invest heavily into the user experience). In the long term it may help to boost user commitment (buying games) to their store.

I can already see this at least in Twitch viewer comments with seeing people move their buying habits from Steam to GoG when titles are available on both platforms. Although it'll take time to see if this becomes more widespread. But GoG's work on their new launcher is definitely winning them a lot of more dedicated buyers, even if it means they've taken a hit to their profits in the short term.

Basically follow the Steam model. Make your storefront something people want to use and have it offer consumer amenities that other platforms don't have and consumers will start to buy more titles on your service because they enjoy using your service.

Regards,
    SB

PSman1700 and pharma like this.
  9. pharma

Veteran Regular

Over 1.5 billion game consoles have been sold to date and you may be surprised at the leader
    May 26, 2020

https://betanews.com/2020/05/26/gaming-leaders/

London-boy and PSman1700 like this.
  10. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

No surprise at all, the PS2 is widely known to be the best sold console ever, and will probably remain that way. Back then when there was more then 10 big exclusives for one single console.

11. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

The most surprising thing really is Sony take the first, second and third spots for home consoles, although some of those numbers are too close to call really. The whole "$1,56 billion units" labelling shows a general lack of care in the data reporting. Oh, the source is VGChartz, so there we have it - an approximate graph of maybe-sold numbers with no surprises.

Silenti and disco_ like this.
  12. jayco

Veteran Regular

Will it catch Spiderman in sales? Is not such a huge brand like Spiderman, massive win for ND if it manages to do it.

13. disco_

Newcomer

I don't think sales will pass spider man. I doubt they close especially when sony put spider man on ps+. Actually, does sony count ps+ downloads as sales as MS does wit GP?

14. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Xbox gamers have spent more than $1.4 billion on ID@Xbox titles
    The ID@Xbox program has made more than $1.4 billion in digital revenue since the indie development scheme first launched back in 2013. Speaking at the GamesIndustry.biz Online Investment Summit, global strategic partnership management lead of the ID@Xbox program Agostino Simonetta gave a presentation on the program.

https://www.trueachievements.com/n41939/id-at-xbox-sales

jayco and Shifty Geezer like this.
  15. ToTTenTranz

Spider-Man never went to Plus.

TLoU2 will probably sell a lot more than Spider-Man did. TLoU1 sold 10 Million on the PS3 and another 10 million on the PS4. Spider-Man sold a little over 13 Million.
    Considering how TLoU2 will be a cross-gen title, probably with specific PS5 features and enhancements, sales of the second will build over the first's success unless it's a critical failure.

Don't be surprised if TLoU2 surpasses 20 Million sales.

A lot more people know Spider-Man, but save for people familiar with the project it was often mistaken for a movie tie-in, and those tend to be rather horrible.

disco_ likes this.
  16. disco_

Newcomer

Meant to write "when sony puts spider man on PS+.

17. jayco

Veteran Regular

18. chris1515

Veteran Regular

Before it was Horizon with 2.6 millions in two weeks. Great happy for Sucker Punch.

19. jayco

Veteran Regular

MS: We want our games to be 1st day on gamepass
    Sony: japanese blades do siuu siuu

20. Xbat

Veteran Newcomer

I wonder if because of the fantastic first quarter results for Sony it has emboldened them to take more of a loss on the PS5 and is why they have upped the PS5 shipments to ten million?

They made 1.1 billion profit in the first quarter.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see them buy more dev teams, they must know that in the end content will be the most important aspect of getting people to buy into your eco system.