Is there a future for consoles without a return to exotic hardware? *spawn

Doing exotic hardware to play the same game(s) is a fools errand. You’re just taking on costs to be different. And in the event a games doesn’t sell and you’re trying to recoup costs by putting it on other platforms, you’re screwed. Game budgets have skyrocketed in past generations. Breaking even in the ps2 generation is a different reality than today.

Also, whoever signs up as Bold is gonna be very confused.

For me that highlights one thing that exotic hardware needed to bring to the table - making games easier / cheaper to produce.

I've no idea how exotic hardware could make game development easier, other than my factious 'Dreams' machine PS6.

@Bold Cherry picking so soon ?
I don't understand.
Some things do change and some don't but new games (or audiences ?) has fundamentally ALWAYS driven a new console cycle
Is that really true of this gen?
and if the so called 'next-gen' "isn't going to be transformative" as you claim then there really isn't a point anymore to invoking a new console cycle is there, now ?
Right. Your argument is there MUST be a novel console. My argument is there CAN'T be - it's not possible to execute. You need to address my points about why it can't happen to show it can if you are to convince me otherwise.

@Bold You mean the bubble here that isn't really representative of the general populace ? It wasn't TOO LONG AGO (2017) that consumers ate up the Switch in droves despite having NO BC!
And then you have discussions like this. Your reference here is consoles from decades ago, not consoles released in the Mobile Era where PC and phone take your software with yout. Again, I aruge that times have changed and the standards you keep referring to are outdated.

If something like mobile phones (especially unpleasant to developers) or even the Switch (NVN is not at all similar to D3D12) to a lesser extent can command the attention of big game developers, I don't see why the other dedicated gaming consoles can't earn some careful attention so that console manufacturers can SOMEHOW find away to OPTIMIZE the BoM for a GREATER market. Again it's the developer's JOB to make these things work with their given resources no matter how much their environment sucks ...
If it sucks to much, they won't bother unless the market is huge. So you need to present a plan that produces such hardware that'll be cheap enough and good enough to sell en masse and to present such a compelling case, like PS2 did, that devs will take on the burden with zero install base on the faith that install base will appear.

Or, you know, you could just repeated what happened with past consoles and avoid that debate altogether and just reiterate again that you think it MUST happen without and consideration HOW...

Here's an easy formula:

Do you have Apple level of profits and cash reserves to invest in your own silicon design and pay a premium for the most advanced nodes?

If yes, create custom silicon.
If no, continue doing what you're doing.

With the rate of change in technology and consumer habits, what worked 20 or even 10 years ago has no impact going forward.

Last edited:
Back