All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2019 Edition]

PS5 will be BC with PS4 and it launches in a year, hard to see why PS4 would have much of a tale post PS5 unless there is a huge price difference and PS4 is able to stream PS5 titles thru psnow and even then it's not likely to result in tens of millions in additional sales of PS4 hardware.
PS3 had full PS2 BC when it released. People still bought PS2 because those were much cheaper. Same with PS4 / PS5. I don't think people will buy $499 PS5 the first 2 years or so just to play Fifa, spider-man, TLOU2 or God of War. They mostly will buy $149-199 PS4 to play those.

PS3 had full PS2 BC when it released. People still bought PS2 because those were much cheaper. Same with PS4 / PS5. I don't think people will buy $499 PS5 the first 2 years or so just to play Fifa, spider-man, TLOU2 or God of War. They mostly will buy $149-199 PS4 to play those.

+1 This is not the same people buying console two firs years post launch than at the tail of the generation. And I think lower price will help in some market out of western country, Australia, New Zealand, or Japan and part of Asia.

After the console will never reach 99 dollars like the PS2. And the PS2 is out of reach but they can probably sold 125 to 135 millions PS4 before the end of life of the console. They will be at 110.2 millions march 2020 if they reach the forecast.

Last edited:
What kept PS2 going was super low price and a software library that could sell to kids and families. PS4 hasn't secured that identity, which belongs solely to Nintendo. PS4 is a 'grown up' console for 'serious' gamers, associated with AAA graphical masterclasses and not party games and girly games and the broader range of experiences that PS2 was known for. We'd need core gaming to grow in size for PS4 to beat PS2 sales. Repeated attempts to sell in large numbers to new markets keeps failing, so that seems unlikely.

PS3 had full PS2 BC when it released. People still bought PS2 because those were much cheaper. Same with PS4 / PS5. I don't think people will buy $499 PS5 the first 2 years or so just to play Fifa, spider-man, TLOU2 or God of War. They mostly will buy $149-199 PS4 to play.

Is 500 dollars confirmed? Another ps3 and the ps4 will get to 150m yes.
Also a 149 dollar ps4 nice.

What kept PS2 going was super low price and a software library that could sell to kids and families. PS4 hasn't secured that identity, which belongs solely to Nintendo.

Maybe mindshare but that's historic mindshare. The Switch is packed with M and T-rated games. Ignoring the shovelware an focussing on games only with decent scores: Skyrim, Dark Souls, Bayonetta, Astral Chain (T), Witcher 3, Diablo III, all of the Resident Evils, Dragon's Dogma, L.A Noire, Vampyr, Assassin's Creed, Call of Cthulhu, Darksiders, Binding of Isaac, Spirit Hunter, Doom, Wolfenstein, Payday 2, Somnium Files, Kill la Kill, Deadly Premonition, The Walking Dead, Saints Row, Divinity: Original Sin, Dead or Alive Extreme 3, Sine More EX, The End is Nigh, Attack on Titan (note to self: watch season 3), The Caligua Effect, Stein's Gate, Onimusha, Outlast, plus a plethora of 'questionable' anime "games" :-|

I'd contest that quality kid-friendly games are in alarmingly short supply on Switch; obviously you have all of the Mario games (Odyssey, Kart, Maker, Super Party etc), Pokemon, Luigi's Mansion is amazing, Zelda, Yoshi's Crafted World, ummm.. Even Ni No Kuni, which looks like a kids game, is rated a cautious E10+.

I'd also speculate that Nintendo are only doing so well with Switch because they've dropped the kiddie-friendly pretence. There are easily more quality kid-friendly games on PS4 right now because it's been out longer. :yep2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just so we're clear, I'm not saying it will pass PS2 - just that the argument put forward was incredibly light to the point that it's not even valid. I think a lot of the tail end will depend on how low the price can go, but I tend to think @chris1515 gives a good ball-park, if I had to bet on it I'd say they will exceed 135m.

Maybe mindshare...
That's what people buy based on - image.

The Switch is packed with M and T-rated games.
I didn't say it was kids only.

...obviously you have all of the Mario games (Odyssey, Kart, Maker, Super Party etc),
Which are the ones that have the machine bought for children. Nintendo's advertising is kid-friendly, and they have clearly family targeted products like Labo and the new Ring Fit. Whether PS4 has a suitable library or not, it hasn't got a family-friendly image because Sony hasn't cared to promote one strongly (or make and push products like they did with PS2 - SingStar, EyeToy, Buzz, DanceDance things).

You've just listed a string a kid friendly titles for NSW. Can you do the same for PS4 without looking any up? Only PSVR titles come to my mind. Oh, and Knack...

Which are the ones that have the machine bought for children. Nintendo's advertising is kid-friendly, and they have clearly family targeted products like Labo and the new Ring Fit. Whether PS4 has a suitable library or not, it hasn't got a family-friendly image because Sony hasn't cared to promote one strongly (or make and push products like they did with PS2 - SingStar, EyeToy, Buzz, DanceDance things).

You've just listed a string a kid friendly titles for NSW. Can you do the same for PS4 without looking any up? Only PSVR titles come to my mind. Oh, and Knack...

I think Nintendo is the best platform for family title. My son is too young to play but when he will be ablt yo play, I will take switch as a secondary system and I will play Zelda and Mario title too myself.

Just so we're clear, I'm not saying it will pass PS2 - just that the argument put forward was incredibly light to the point that it's not even valid. I think a lot of the tail end will depend on how low the price can go, but I tend to think @chris1515 gives a good ball-park, if I had to bet on it I'd say they will exceed 135m.

It think there important parts of the equation missing and that is combination of carry-over of PS4 games to PS5 (backwards compatibility), the actual real and perceived differences between PS4 and PS5 games to consumers and the differences to developers in creating a PS5 game versus a PS4/Pro games.

Marketing for PS5 hasn't started yet so it'll be interesting how Sony differentiate (and market the advances) in PS5 compared to PS4 but I think for a lot of people it's not going to be like PlayStation to PS2 or PS2 to PS3 where even the untrained gamer could easily discern higher resolutions, shader improvements and increased complexity (more geometry) that combined to big leaps forward in graphics. That in itself could mute the desire to buy a PS5 a year after launch, compared to buying a super-cheap super-slim PS4 with a stack of super-cheap good games. I am also curious if it will be possible for developers to sell PS4 games with PS4 Pro-like enhancements for PS5 because that likely lead to plenty of cross-gen games for a huge market for a while and that will itself, slow adoption until there are sufficient PS5-only exclusives.

I reckon some people do but I don't see any evidence that the vast majority of consumers buy a console based on the image. Firstly, image of what? The console itself? The manufacturer? I think it's more predicated on substance. Look at Sony's success in the console marke, Sony had no image or following and yet PlayStation sold successfully out of the gate arguably based on price, performance and good games. Likewise PS2. Now look at PS3, or better still, look at the success of the 360 which I'd also argue sold well because of the price, performance and good games trifecta. Sony had a had solid image from PS1 and PS2 that didn't help PS3. Microsoft had a solid, but slightly muted by RRoD, image from 360 that didn't help Xbox One. Price. Performance. Good games. The evidence suggests that a lot of gamers pivoted from PS2 to 360 then to PS4. I don't think the greater market buy into the "for the players" marketing bullshit. Consumers are jaded by this crap now.

No, you said "kids and families". Families usually include at least one adult and Switch caters for that. And, contrary to your next statement, advertises to that market.

I see a lot of Nintendo adverts for M-rated games - I don't know why you don't but it obviously depends where/when/how you consume content where Nintendo thinks it's worth targeting ads. If you're looking at kids-orientated content then you will only see kid-friendly stuff but Nintendo have bespoke adverts for many, if not most, of their AA and AAA M-rated games on Switch, including Diablo 3, Doom, Devil May Cry, and the Witcher 3. You are clearly not seeing them but you can find all of the Nitendo's advertisements on their YouTube channel. What you won't see on Nintendo's channel is there companies promoting their products for Switch, e.g. Bethesda's launch ad for Wolfenstein 2 on Switch - complete with kid-friendly swastikas. :yep2:

Wolfenstein II – Nintendo Switch Launch Trailer - YouTubehttps://www.youtube.com › watch

My 7-and-a-bit (going on 30) year old loves all of the Lego games (and we have most of them - Avengers, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, Star Wars), Ratchet & Clank, Spyro, Yooka Laylee, Little Big Planet, Tearaway, DragonQuest Builders and, disconcertingly, Singstar. Big, bright, colourful. The rest I would need to look at a physical shelf and the PS4 library because there are literally are too many for me to remember. Which is my point. Well made. :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:
The PS4 could be positioned as well as the PS2 was at the same point in its life. Arguably even better.

A diskless revision could be tiny and fairly cheap to manufacture. It wouldn't reach PS2 levels of cheapness, but, adjusting for inflation, it could conceivably get close enough. So having a console within impulse buy territory is viable.

Then there's the matter of interconnectivity and streaming. A dinky little box that you can use to stream content from your PS5 and PSNow - as well as Netflix etc - might well hold appeal for quite a lot of folks out there.

Heck, with Remote Play, that's practically a portable PS4: stick your PS4Micro in your bag with a power cable, and you can Remote Play to your phone - which now includes iPhones and non-Sony Android phones - anywhere with a power socket.

Hopefully Sony can market it better than their Playstation Vue.

The streaming market needs an apocalypse, it's an absolutely mess right now and one less service is a good thing(tm). Ironically, it's one of those service areas where more consumer choice can actually drive up costs for consumers as the many services competing services seek to secure exclusive rights to certain content, consumers find they have to subscribe to multiple services. Apple and Disney's activity is not going to make an of this better, except for Apple (maybe) and Disney (definitely).

Sony's finances suggest Vue is/was profitable so getting out and selling off streaming rights while they are still valuable is probably the smart thing to do. It'll get ugly when Apple and Disney start using their war chests. I recall PS3 was, for a while, the leading platform through which Netflix was consumed. Presumably Sony want PS4 and PS5 to continue to appeal to streamers and have apps available and there is less friction if they're not also competing to deliver.

A diskless revision could be tiny and fairly cheap to manufacture. It wouldn't reach PS2 levels of cheapness, but, adjusting for inflation, it could conceivably get close enough. So having a console within impulse buy territory is viable.

Old Blu-ray games are still cheaper on disc than buying digitally, even in sales. This would be a brave move if the goal is to target the ultra-budget conscious folks who may find it easier to borrow games from friends or just be gifted some.

I reckon some people do but I don't see any evidence that the vast majority of consumers buy a console based on the image. Firstly, image of what?
The brand - the hardware and the culture presented around it.

Sony had no image or following and yet PlayStation sold successfully out of the gate arguably based on price, performance and good games.
Sony had a very strong image for CE devices. It also didn't sell well out of the gate. 5 million in first year. Sony did a stellar marketing campaign to reach young-adults with their cool and edgy image.

I don't think the greater market buy into the "for the players" marketing bullshit. Consumers are jaded by this crap now.
Indeed. What they bought was the idea of PS4 being the best place to play games based on its presence and the wider peer-endorsed culture.

No, you said "kids and families". Families usually include at least one adult and Switch caters for that. And, contrary to your next statement, advertises to that market.

I see a lot of Nintendo adverts for M-rated games -
Adult games isn't part of the argument. To reach the widest audience, Sony needs to sell to adults and children/families. I'm saying it doesn't have the family appeal because it doesn't have the brand awareness/image as a kid-friendly console. The typical family looking to buy a machine for an 8 year old will firstly look at NSW because Nintendo does a job of promoting their machine as a machine for children and families. Heck, they even built it with two controllers for coop play out the gate! A quick Google for 'best console for families' throws up a number of suggestions like this...

If you look around for video games for the various systems you will notice that there are a ton of family friendly games for the Nintendo Switch. That is not to say that the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4 don’t have family friendly games, but most of those games are also on the Nintendo Switch. One example would be the Lego video games, which appear on all 3 consoles.

Where the Nintendo Switch gets a leg up is with its own exclusive games. There are a multitude of E and E 10+rated games for the whole family including Super Mario Odyssey, ARMS, 1-2-Switch, Pokken Tournament DX, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and let’s not forget Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2.​

My 7-and-a-bit (going on 30) year old loves all of the Lego games (and we have most of them - Avengers, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, Star Wars), Ratchet & Clank, Spyro, Yooka Laylee, Little Big Planet, Tearaway.
As you have a child and play games with them, obviously you can cite the library of games you play, but I argue that it's not what the PS4 is known for, don't represent the best selling titles on it (eg. Tearway isn't a game millions of children are wanting to play), and aren't at all comparable to the family-focussed offerings of NSW and PS2. Heck, those games are all variations on the same theme - third person action games. What if someone doesn't like that style of game? What other options are there. Karting games? Kid-friendly 'shooter' (Splatoon)? Building interactive cardboard things? Pokémon? Cats and Dogs?

PS2 was that family-focussed console, with something for everyone. Nowadays, that console is NSW. Nintendo set out to create a product to be that console, while Sony set out to create a hardcore console for core gamers. Both succeeded and have reaped the rewards f their efforts. But now going forwards, of PS4 is to outsell PS2, it needs to either find a lot more gamers who like its style of offering, of create a whole new family-friendly image to sell to a different market segment and reach the same audience PS2 sold to.

PS4 has plenty of kid friendly games, Minecraft, Rocket league, Lego games, Tearaway, Crash and LBP spring to mind and then you have the party games like Singstar and Just Dance...or did you mean exclusive? Yes, Sony seems to be aiming at the more mature audience.

Marketing for PS5 hasn't started yet so it'll be interesting how Sony differentiate (and market the advances) in PS5 compared to PS4 but I think for a lot of people it's not going to be like PlayStation to PS2 or PS2 to PS3 where even the untrained gamer could easily discern higher resolutions, shader improvements and increased complexity (more geometry) that combined to big leaps forward in graphics. That in itself could mute the desire to buy a PS5 a year after launch, compared to buying a super-cheap super-slim PS4 with a stack of super-cheap good games.

I personally think the SSD will make the biggest difference next gen, in a era where time is precious to the point we have people using companies to taxi fast- food to their door - the talk of almost zero loading (and the big open worlds that it'll bring) will be the biggest/most noticable advance.

PS4 has plenty of kid friendly games, Minecraft, Rocket league, Lego games, Tearaway, Crash and LBP spring to mind and then you have the party games like Singstar and Just Dance...or did you mean exclusive?
I mean games Sony set out and created as part of a family-friendly image they are trying to cultivate. Four out of your 6 or third party. Tearaway may be child friendly but it's not a hugely popular kid/family title. LBP 3 is even quite complicated and difficult to play.

If I had to list games that define the image of PS4, I'd go straight to GoW, HZD, Uncharted, TLoU, Spider-Man, Fortnite and Apex Legends, COD, FIFA. The same for NSW, I'll go to Mario Odyssey, LoZ, Mario Kart, Labo, Pokémon, Fitness Ring thing, Splatoon, Arms. All NSW's headline titles are child/family friendly. They are two distinct images. Even if both consoles cater to all the family equally well, the marketing has had a completely different focus for both consoles with Sony deliberately targeting the core gamer, and Nintendo deliberately targeting the family and light fun audiences.

I personally think the SSD will make the biggest difference next gen, in a era where time is precious to the point we have people using companies to taxi fast- food to their door - the talk of almost zero loading (and the big open worlds that it'll bring) will be the biggest/most noticable advance.
sadly, it would appear we're completely engineering our society to have absolutely no physical activity!

The streaming market needs an apocalypse, it's an absolutely mess right now and one less service is a good thing(tm). Ironically, it's one of those service areas where more consumer choice can actually drive up costs for consumers as the many services competing services seek to secure exclusive rights to certain content, consumers find they have to subscribe to multiple services. Apple and Disney's activity is not going to make an of this better, except for Apple (maybe) and Disney (definitely).

Sony's finances suggest Vue is/was profitable so getting out and selling off streaming rights while they are still valuable is probably the smart thing to do. It'll get ugly when Apple and Disney start using their war chests. I recall PS3 was, for a while, the leading platform through which Netflix was consumed. Presumably Sony want PS4 and PS5 to continue to appeal to streamers and have apps available and there is less friction if they're not also competing to deliver.

I think your off with your read on this. Playstation Vue was a live TV streaming service (so it's competitors were cable TV providers and other live streaming services more so than Netflix, Apple, Disney+, etc.) and pretty much every indication was that it was losing money. They simply couldn't get enough subscribers on the service to make the financials work out as they needed to supplement subscriber fees with advertising revenue to be profitable. It was a catch 22 in that they couldn't charge more without losing subscribers to competitors and they couldn't charge less to stimulate subscriber growth without losing even more money. They must have finally made the determination that the path to reach the necessary subscriber numbers to make it a profitable venture was not there. IMHO, tying it to Playstation hindered it's acceptance in the market because people made the assumption (even long after it was no longer true) that you had to have a Playstation to access it and the sign-up and management being through PSN was awkward. The service itself was quite good and the combination of price, features and channel selection made it my choice for live TV streaming right up until the shut-down was announced. I'm now on YouTube TV, which was the next best option.

Sony had a very strong image for CE devices. It also didn't sell well out of the gate. 5 million in first year. Sony did a stellar marketing campaign to reach young-adults with their cool and edgy image.

I think need to manage your retrospective expectations :sly: Remember that the PS1 was only available in Japan (December 1994) for the first nine months and it launched a week later than SEGA's Saturn. There was few notable games in the first nine months other than Tekken 2.

Arguably (and I will argue it) the US/European launch (September 1995) was when solid games began to appear as that brought system quality system-differentiating exclusives Ridge Racer and Crash Bandicoot and some notable games that some folks associate with PlayStation but which were multiplatform like Wipeout (also on PC, Nintendo N64 and Saturn) and Resident Evil (PC, Saturn, DS) and Bust-a-Move (Saturn). Plus the predictable annual franchises like Madden and NBA. I always assumed it took Sony a little while to convince publishers to take a risk investing in PlayStation in addition to, or instead of, Saturn and N64.

I don't remember any edgy commercials, I remember them just being goofy or weird. You can see some of the the early commercials on the PlayStation website.

Indeed. What they bought was the idea of PS4 being the best place to play games based on its presence and the wider peer-endorsed culture.

I think you're hugely overthinking this. I really doubt many people really thought "wow PS4 is the best place to play games" rather than "it has some cool games and is affordable, plus <insert friends names> have one". I genuinely don't know anybody who buys into marketing so absolutely.

Adult games isn't part of the argument. To reach the widest audience, Sony needs to sell to adults and children/families. I'm saying it doesn't have the family appeal because it doesn't have the brand awareness/image as a kid-friendly console.

I'm confused by this. Could you explain what you think Nintendo has/does image-wise and what Sony/PlayStation does not? You've used "kids and families", "kid-friendly" and "family appeal" and I'm struggling work out what you mean. From my perspective neither is more family-friendly than the other, actually well the Switch is less because as a family we consume Netflix content and Switch can't do that, but swinging back to just games, they're really much of a muchness.

Which is where I entered this. Years back you could say Nintendo was family friendly and what people really meant was "safe and wholesome for kids", i.e. there were zero adult games (sexual content) and few mature games and the ones which did exist got almost no advertising or promotion from Nintendo and thus Nintendo's reputation as kid/family-friendly was established despite games like Resident Evil being on most Nintendo consoles. But modern Nintendo is a very different beast which is I why think the image is dated.

If you can nail down what you mean, it would help. :yep2:

As you have a child and play games with them, obviously you can cite the library of games you play, but I argue that it's not what the PS4 is known for, don't represent the best selling titles on it (eg. Tearway isn't a game millions of children are wanting to play), and aren't at all comparable to the family-focussed offerings of NSW and PS2. Heck, those games are all variations on the same theme - third person action games. What if someone doesn't like that style of game? What other options are there. Karting games? Kid-friendly 'shooter' (Splatoon)? Building interactive cardboard things? Pokémon? Cats and Dogs?

When you say "that is not what the PS4 is known for" what you're really saying is "I don't know how people who are not like me are using their consoles" - simply because you have no visibility of it. And why would you? But how is that any different on the Switch?

As a parent, the Lego games are absolutely amazing in co-op and like a good Disney film, the humour usually works on two levels. PS4 being around longer, it has a lot more Lego games than Switch but we do have Lego City Undercover on Switch. And yes, for the most part the games she likes are all third-person action games, but don't hate on what kids like. Tearaway was a PS+ freebie a long time, which she played about a year old I think. I don't know if you have kids but they develop/learn quickly and it's a constant battle to find new ways to engage with them and keep that learning fire burning. One minute it's new and shiny then it's old and she's looking for something new to do and learn. Most of the games she likes are traditionally very kid-friendly - bright and vibrant visuals for example.

We have Mario Kart 8D on Switch, which we are both rubbish at but you are seemingly unaware that there are almost always karts racers. Specifically on PlayStation there has been Crash Team Racing (new and old), Little Big Planet Karting, ModNation Racers, Nickelodeon Kart Racers, Team Sonic Racing.- I even remember a Wacky Racers one too years ago. Shooters are tricky when at her age, she couldn't play Splatoon as Nintendo have the rating set to E10+. Fortnite is a 12. As for practical/crafting/building stuff, she doesn't need a console to do that - she has so much Lego and there there is Minecraft which universal for kids. She struggles with redstone but mostly because she can't think of applications for it.

When you have young kids, the Switch suddenly becomes really quite limited. If you create kid accounts on both stores and see what's available, the PS4 is by far the better option because it's got six years worth of games. There's dross on both consoles and once you exclude this from Switch, it's slim pickings I assure you. PS4 still has tons of quality content.

Anybody recommending a Switch to somebody with a young child is doing them a disservice. It's the recommendation of somebody who has not looked at what content is available on Switch compared to its competition.

PS2 was that family-focussed console, with something for everyone. Nowadays, that console is NSW. Nintendo set out to create a product to be that console, while Sony set out to create a hardcore console for core gamers.

What is it that PS2 and Switch has that PS4 does not? What type of games, what type of appeal? Can you define this appeal? Who is making up this family? I just don't get it. :nope: My family does not fit your model and we're not an atypical family in any way.

I think your off with your read on this.

Yeah, you're right. I was confusing PlayStation Vue with Sony's movie streaming service. Vue wasn't even available in the UK. My position on the number of content streamers stands though. There is now just too much quality content spread across too-many subscription services with subscribers wanting the good content subsidising the less appealing content. And we in the UK doesn't even have it as bad as the US. E.g. we get Star Trek Discovery bundled into Netflix and HBO content tends to end up with Sky, Amazon Prime and/or Netflix.

I don't know what the answer is.

Back