All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, 1.7M production during the holidays. That confirms 5.3M is indeed sell-through numbers, if there was any doubt (assuming that's real). Sony seemed to allocate a higher percentage of units outside of the US as I expected after seeing the NPD numbers. Amazon stores in various countries in Europe seemed to have a lot more supply in January/February compared to November/December. I have no reason to doubt the 5.3M number.

Aww, so the sales are showing what I have been saying for months... a slowing of XB1 purchases and inventories growing larger because of the lack of sales, compared to PS4. Congratulation to Sony on moving over 5 million units.... ;)

I went to a big grossery store today, I saw 6XB1 in stock on the other hand I've to see a PS4 available somewhere in Bordeaux surroundings.

I added up first 3 month NPD sales of the last 3 generations of hardware (Xbox/PS2/GC, Wii/360/PS3, Wii U/PS4/XBO), 9 consoles ranked 1-9. All launched in Nov I believe, with exception of PS2 which launched in Oct:

1. PS4 2274k
2. Xbox One 1958k
3. Xbox 1550k
4. Wii 1516k
5. Gamecube 1298k
6. PS2 1101k
7. Wii U 947k
8. 360 856k
9. PS3 735k

Things I notice: for all the gloom, One ranks 2/9 best selling. However we also quickly see supply constraints play a large role here. PS2 only 6th despite being best selling console ever. PS4 and One at the top due mainly to unprecedented launch supply (but still, demand had to allow it).

Lets now rank each consoles first January's sales 1-9 to get another insight. January sales (remember this is PS2's 4th month since it launched in Oct). Maybe this can tell us more as supply constraints ease (but some consoles like PS4, Wii still supply constrained, maybe PS2 I'm not sure)?

1. Wii 436k
2. PS4 271k
3. 360 249k
4. PS2 248k
5. PS3 244k
6. Xbox One 141k
7. Xbox 128k
8. Gamecube 62k
9. Wii U 57k

Analysis: This tells us more but again not everything. Each consoles situation is different. Here we see relatively poor lifetime selling consoles Xbox/GC drop. A possible bad omen for Xbox One. But still it's hard to judge. I dont remember if 360 was supply constrained in January, I dont believe so. PS3 looked healthy but went on to struggle in the US. PS4, Wii, still constrained.

I added up first 3 month NPD sales of the last 3 generations of hardware (Xbox/PS2/GC, Wii/360/PS3, Wii U/PS4/XBO), 9 consoles ranked 1-9. All launched in Nov I believe, with exception of PS2 which launched in Oct:

1. PS4 2274k
2. Xbox One 1958k
3. Xbox 1550k
4. Wii 1516k
5. Gamecube 1298k
6. PS2 1101k
7. Wii U 947k
8. 360 856k
9. PS3 735k

Things I notice: for all the gloom, One ranks 2/9 best selling. However we also quickly see supply constraints play a large role here. PS2 only 6th despite being best selling console ever. PS4 and One at the top due mainly to unprecedented launch supply (but still, demand had to allow it).

Lets now rank each consoles first January's sales 1-9 to get another insight. January sales (remember this is PS2's 4th month since it launched in Oct). Maybe this can tell us more as supply constraints ease (but some consoles like PS4, Wii still supply constrained, maybe PS2 I'm not sure)?

1. Wii 436k
2. PS4 271k
3. 360 249k
4. PS2 248k
5. PS3 244k
6. Xbox One 141k
7. Xbox 128k
8. Gamecube 62k
9. Wii U 57k

Analysis: This tells us more but again not everything. Each consoles situation is different. Here we see relatively poor lifetime selling consoles Xbox/GC drop. A possible bad omen for Xbox One. But still it's hard to judge. I dont remember if 360 was supply constrained in January, I dont believe so. PS3 looked healthy but went on to struggle in the US. PS4, Wii, still constrained.

Some good analysis. I think the drop of XBO in Jan is more worrying than anything else. but it certainly not going Wii U way right now.. and painting it like a total doom and gloom scanerio is not i believe a bit too extreme.

You know, I am probably going to get attacked for this, but I kind of miss my good old childhood times during the 32 bit era where I owned the console with the most exclusives and support ever in history. So many exclusives that it made it into the best console someone could own. Probably ever. So many great games. Its a nostalgia thingie. And it looks like this generation it may be a repetition. My inner child wants this. Although the mature guy in me says "competition is good" :p
How much did the PS1 do?

Some good analysis. I think the drop of XBO in Jan is more worrying than anything else. but it certainly not going Wii U way right now.. and painting it like a total doom and gloom scanerio is not i believe a bit too extreme.
I cannot see it doing as badly as the wii-u, but i can see it selling slightly above the original xbox, perhaps 45mil lifetime at most.

You know, I am probably going to get attacked for this, but I kind of miss my good old childhood times during the 32 bit era where I owned the console with the most exclusives and support ever in history. So many exclusives that it made it into the best console someone could own. Probably ever. So many great games. Its a nostalgia thingie. And it looks like this generation it may be a repetition. My inner child wants this. Although the mature guy in me says "competition is good" :p
How much did the PS1 do?

I was around for the SNEZ era, but not really invested that much in it, i was more of a genesis kid.

But speaking of PS1, having been a major proponent of that system, personally speaking its second only to the PS2 in terms of success.

I really hope that the PS4 sells well. I mainly just want to see it reignite some of the old Japan spark, things are way too boring with only Western devs on the scene.

I really hope that the PS4 sells well. I mainly just want to see it reignite some of the old Japan spark, things are way too boring with only Western devs on the scene.

Oh yes. The japanese used to be some of the top in terms of original and ground breaking games back in the days. They left history. They created a great legacy of games and franchises that changed the way we saw games.

I remember myself waiting for the Japanese gems back in the old days. I was lucky back in the day because my dad got my PS1 chipped (now I prefer to collect my games so I never pirated from PS2 onwards). I traveled often in the middle east back then and it was a piracy heaven in these countries. We would see pirated games released before their original would hit the market. But the best thing about it was that we saw japanese games many in the west wouldnt have even dreamed of. A lot of of them really pushed the system technically and they had unique gameplay. I knew that I would find many hidden gems when the seller would give me the catalog of the games he had and see japanese games that were never released in the west.

In the 128bit era the Japanese downfall has begun. I remember reading an article about the issues Japanese devs were facing and the reasons why the west took over. The article explained that the Japanese education was not up to date to the modern techniques and knowledge used in the west when it came to 3D rendering and programming. So they struggled a lot trying to figure things out and relied on the basic knowledge. The universities in the west were teaching all modern techniques in 3D rendering and programming. Only the top players in Japan were able to commit to big projects that could compete with the west. Players like Capcom, Square and Konami perhaps. The PS2 was a nightmare to make games on too. From PS2 onwards we saw the west pushing technically the console more and more to its limits and the Japanese proportionately less. The PS3 didnt help either. Indeed the ease of development on the PS4 brings back memories of the PS1 days. The PS1 was the easiest and cheapest to develop on back in the day and packed lots of technical convenience and performance. Just like the PS4. Thank God for Cerny who listends to both the west and the east and is familiar with both cultures

I cannot see it doing as badly as the wii-u, but i can see it selling slightly above the original xbox, perhaps 45mil lifetime at most.

Original Xbox Had Halo:CE at it's lunch, which was real killer app for it's time.

Considering what happened from X1 reveal at 21 May to it's lunch, I think Microsoft managed it's market/X1 lunch very well and they will change their X1 pricing very soon. But first they need to repair/complete the broken/imperfect parts of the X1 (SDK, tools, ID@XBOX program, OS, media features, Win apps, ...) and announcing some (killer) Kinect games/apps then they are ready to go with 50-100$ price cut boost.

They have designed X1 with many features in mind and according to many people those features caused some restrictions on gaming side of the X1. Now that they choose this procedure they have to go "all-in" with them and make them their strong point. For example Oneguide with proper exclusive Japanese content, proper Win apps, using mature tools/SDK alongside familiar API and X1 devkit feature to bring as many games as possible to X1, using new windows/wp features on X1 OS, and of course some unique Kinect games/apps.

If they choose this procedure (as I said) then it'll takes some time (before 2015) to properly react to their rivals with better SDK/tools for developers and pricing for gamers.

I don't know what we can expect them to announce game-wise at this point. They've already announced most of their 2014 slate, and their two biggest 2015 games (in addition to scrapping the Black Tusk original IP). Going further and promising games that may or may not come out in 2016+ isn't going to move the needle for them.

After 3 months

2. Xbox One 1958k
8. 360 856k

As bad as people think One is doing, it has a ~1.1m lead in USA sales on 360 after 3 months. More or less One can continue to sell very badly for most of the next entire year (February through October) and remain ahead of 360's pace. It's not until the high selling November/December months 360 could have the possibility of making the type of gains needed to gain a lead at the same point in it's life cycle (and of course I'll bet MS will have made major changes to One's trajectory by then).

Of course same goes for PS4 even more exaggerated.

The impact of those very strong first 2 PS4/One months is overlooked.

I don't know what we can expect them to announce game-wise at this point. They've already announced most of their 2014 slate, and their two biggest 2015 games (in addition to scrapping the Black Tusk original IP). Going further and promising games that may or may not come out in 2016+ isn't going to move the needle for them.

I think Microsoft prepared some Kinect games (good or bad) for 2014 but didn't announce them. Even they didn't speak about Kinect Sport Rivals at their 2013 E3 conference while it could be their biggest Kinect title in 2014. Ntkrnl said that Forza Horizon 2 planed for end of 2014 and will utilize cloud computing for sexy weather simulations (his claim, not mine). Also, They should have some other games to announce for first half of 2015. Some Japanese games, Forza 6, Halo 5 and Fable: Legends alongside their indie game program would be enough for 2015.

After 3 months

2. Xbox One 1958k
8. 360 856k

I'm not disagreeing with your numbers, but I am wondering if Microsoft put such a big focus on NA sales back when 360 launched, as they did now? If 360 sales were "low" within the first 3 months might be more supply limited because they might have had a higher allocation in the rest of the world? How do the numbers match up then?

After 3 months

2. Xbox One 1958k
8. 360 856k

As bad as people think One is doing, it has a ~1.1m lead in USA sales on 360 after 3 months. More or less One can continue to sell very badly for most of the next entire year (February through October) and remain ahead of 360's pace. It's not until the high selling November/December months 360 could have the possibility of making the type of gains needed to gain a lead at the same point in it's life cycle (and of course I'll bet MS will have made major changes to One's trajectory by then).

Of course same goes for PS4 even more exaggerated.

The impact of those very strong first 2 PS4/One months is overlooked.

The 360 was supplied constrained and was gaining momentum. This is a completely different scenario from the XB1 which had plenty of supply and no momentum.

The 360 was supplied constrained and was gaining momentum. This is a completely different scenario from the XB1 which had plenty of supply and no momentum.

Not to mention having a direct competitor on the market at the same time now...

Looking at the latest weekly figures of Germany Top 50.. i wander how serious is the situation of XBO in Europe (exclusing UK)

Copied from GAF:

Germany:
Week 7, 2014 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (NE) PS3 LIGHTNING RETURNS: FINAL FANTASY XIII (SQUARE ENIX / KOCH MEDIA)
02 (03) PS4 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
03 (01) PS3 GRAN TURISMO 6 (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
04 (NE) 360 LIGHTNING RETURNS: FINAL FANTASY XIII (SQUARE ENIX / KOCH MEDIA)
05 (06) PS3 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE)
06 (02) PS3 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
07 (04) PS3 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
08 (12) PS4 BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
09 (14) PS4 ASSASSIN'S CREED IV - BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT)
10 (08) 3DS MARIO PARTY: ISLAND TOUR (NINTENDO)
11 (05) PS3 ASSASSIN'S CREED IV - BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT)
12 (17) PS4 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
13 (13) 3DS MARIO KART 7 (NINTENDO)
14 (10) WII JUST DANCE 2014 (UBISOFT)
15 (11) 3DS ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW LEAF (NINTENDO)
16 (18) 360 MINECRAFT - XBOX 360 EDITION (AK TRONIC)
17 (09) PS4 TOMB RAIDER - DEFINITIVE EDITION (SQUARE ENIX / KOCH MEDIA)
18 (20) 3DS POKÉMON Y (NINTENDO)
19 (24) 3DS POKÉMON X (NINTENDO)
20 (28) PS3 BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
21 (07) 360 FABLE ANNIVERSARY (MICROSOFT)
22 (27) PC THE ELDER SCROLLS V - SKYRIM (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)
23 (23) 3DS NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. 2 (NINTENDO)
24 (35) 360 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE)
25 (32) PS4 NEED FOR SPEED: RIVALS (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
26 (29) PS3 BEYOND: TWO SOULS (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
27 (38) PS3 THE LAST OF US (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
28 (21) WIU SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD (NINTENDO)
29 (19) 360 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
30 (33) PC LANDWIRTSCHAFTS-SIMULATOR 2013 (ASTRAGON)
31 (30) PC BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
32 (44) PS4 KILLZONE: SHADOW FALL (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
33 (39) 3DS LEGO CITY UNDERCOVER: THE CHASE BEGINS (NINTENDO)
34 (15) PC CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
35 (34) 3DS THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: A LINK BETWEEN WORLDS (NINTENDO)
36 (42) 3DS SUPER MARIO 3D LAND (NINTENDO)
37 (47) PS3 SPORTS CHAMPIONS 2 (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
38 (26) 360 ASSASSIN'S CREED IV - BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT)
39 (25) PS3 NEED FOR SPEED: RIVALS (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
40 (56) 3DS LUIGI'S MANSION 2 (NINTENDO)
41 (48) WII MARIO KART WII (NINTENDO)
42 (16) PC DIABLO III (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
43 (59) PS3 THE ELDER SCROLLS V - SKYRIM (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)
44 (60) WII NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII (NINTENDO)
45 (40) WII SKYLANDERS: SWAP FORCE - STARTER PACK (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
46 (41) PC ASSASSIN'S CREED IV - BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT)
47 (79) WIU MARIO & SONIC BEI DEN OLYMPISCHEN SPIELEN: SOTSCHI 2014 (NINTENDO)
48 (50) PS3 CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS II (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
49 (31) PS3 DRAGON BALL Z: BATTLE OF Z (NAMCO BANDAI GAMES)
50 (22) PS3 DIABLO III (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)

Top 50

PS3 - 15
3DS - 10
PS4 - 7
360 - 6
PC - 6
WII - 4
WIU - 2

BIU Sales Awards: January 2014

[360] Grand Theft Auto V (Rockstar) - 500.000
[ALL] Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Ubisoft) - 500.000
[ALL] Call of Duty: Ghosts (Activision) - 500.000