All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont really get people downplaying these sales, they may be right in a strict sense, but these are still tremendous sales, that show the core gaming market is alive and well. I dont think with all the talk of tablet mobile cannibalization, you could say with certainty "the first million PS4's will sell no matter what". The Wii U didn't...

The launch sales are good, but they are in no way indicative of the market's future. The PS2, 360, and Wii would have sold as well had the supply been available. The real test will be in January and February.

Analysts predict that both XB1 and PS4 will sell over 3 million total units apiece by the end of December. IIRC, Sony themselves said the same thing about PS4. Both plan to sell (or ship) 5 million by March. The Wii U also sold (shipped more likely) over 3 million units through December of last year. The Wii U was also easily obtainable in stores at this time last year, as is the XB1 currently. PS4 is still sold out.

The top sellers on both platforms are annualized AAA franchises that have front-loaded sales. It's possible, given the demographic, that the console launches were front-loaded too. There are at least a few million enthusiast console gamers starved for a new console after a 7-8 year generation. There are also scalpers and general consumers caught in the hype.

The best-selling title, CoD, is actually a very 'casual' franchise that core gamers also play. Not surprising to see it sell the best, but it is surprising to see lower sales for the exclusives considering there are other platforms to play versions of these multiplats.

Once we're past the launch hype, the holidays, and supply catches up with demand (and scalpers quit buying them), does the momentum continue? According to November NPD, software is down 24% over last November. People are going to blame the console transition, but this didn't happen in 2006. This is why people are saying to not read too far into the impressive launch numbers. Of course we want to see a healthy console market. It's just too early to call right now.

:LOL:

Normally I agree... I never look at manuals or instructions or paperwork... only if I can't figure something out. But I knew about this before I got my PS4.

Hopefully you didn't throw it out. :)

I have it, I'll get my 10 dollar credit later today, thanks for the heads up

I dont really get people downplaying these sales...
No-one's downplaying the sales; only the degree of information they provide.
...that show the core gaming market is alive and well. I dont think with all the talk of tablet mobile cannibalization, you could say with certainty "the first million PS4's will sell no matter what". The Wii U didn't...
Wii U was neither a generational advance in specs, nor a direct progression of the existing platform that could capitalise on existing brand loyalty (which may even have fizzled out a lot for Wii). It's not a reference point.

PS4 and XB1 are next-gen machines, offering the existing core gamer a better experience than the PS360 at last. There's easily 10+ million core console gamers who'll buy a next-gen console. That doesn't mean the other 110+ million gamers will also buy a new console.

Personally I think console gaming is alive and well, and these machines will sell tens of millions, but there's no way I'd take early sales as evidence of that. The early sales are nigh meaningless regards long-term future. Like PS3's early sales were high, but plummeted quickly once the hardcore PS fans had been served and the general consumer wasn't interested in such an expensive box. It took some changes for the platform to become popular. You really need 3-6 months to get an idea of how strong a platform is, and that's no evidence of long-term selling power either (who'd have thought the fastest selling console of all time, the Wii, would sell so much fewer than PS1 and PS2 have?).

The best-selling title, CoD, is actually a very 'casual' franchise that core gamers also play.

I think "universal" is a more appropriate term given that COD is the best selling next gen title even though the demographic of next gen buyers are supposedly heavily skewed toward hardcore gamers at launch. COD has close to 40% attachment rate to new gen consoles.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/12/13/ps4-available-in-48-countries-from-today/

48 countries? Some are small places and Sony probably has more manufacturing capacity for this year than MS but..

It looks like Sony allocated max 2million to North america this year. December NPD will be less than 1 million for sure..

I have to agree that Sony is spreading the PS4 pretty thin. Maybe they underestimated the demand. I mean they shipped 1.4M to North America in the first few weeks... that's quite a lot, but it sells out almost instantly. I think it would be smart for them to focus their shipments to the markets that matter most in the upcoming months.

I have to agree that Sony is spreading the PS4 pretty thin. Maybe they underestimated the demand. I mean they shipped 1.4M to North America in the first few weeks... that's quite a lot, but it sells out almost instantly. I think it would be smart for them to focus their shipments to the markets that matter most in the upcoming months.

Much of the PS4 launch seems to be rooted in logistics - how long does it take for product to ship from Asia? My guess is NA got the early production run, Europe got majority mid/late and Asia will get the disproportionate amount of most recent production. Moving into January the pie will be allocated for all territories with a priority placed on the markets Sony wishes to focus on and less about how long shipping takes.

Much of the PS4 launch seems to be rooted in logistics - how long does it take for product to ship from Asia?

With plane and not paying in blood 5-8 days is possible, but the amount of devices you ship is more limited.

By ship anything from 4-8 weeks in my experience, but the price is cents on a dollar compared to planes.

A rule of thumb usually is that less than 1 metric ton weight or less than 1m^3 pallets, its actually more cost effective to ship by air. Above that, its better to go with ships.

Much of the PS4 launch seems to be rooted in logistics - how long does it take for product to ship from Asia? My guess is NA got the early production run, Europe got majority mid/late and Asia will get the disproportionate amount of most recent production. Moving into January the pie will be allocated for all territories with a priority placed on the markets Sony wishes to focus on and less about how long shipping takes.

Asia is starting in a few days (December 18th!)

And ship freight is usually around 3~4 weeks from China to US.

Sony is also holding some stock for Asia/some other territory's release so that's some more spikes in sales you can expect in December

BTW, from what I know PS4s are completely sold out here and new pre-orders are booked to January.

very rare! Perhaps non existant, has it ever happened?

COD 2 actually came close at ~77% sell through at X360 launch in November 2005 according to NPD. COD 2 was exclusive to X360.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NPD_November_2005

What a change since then. 909k Xbox One sales at launch compared to 326k Xbox 360 sales at launch for the US.

Both Sony and Microsoft should be congratulated for not only manufacturing so many console for launch but making a console that is that much in demand at launch. Both of them have blown away past console launches.

To put it in perspective the Wii sold 476k in its US launch according to NPD and was severely supply constrained at a 250 USD price point

Regards,
SB

very rare! Perhaps non existant, has it ever happened?
You mention Gears of war (not release game but a year afterward) but its initial ~3month attach rate is about 30%, Which is a long way shy of 80%

Mario 64? Did anyone buy just Pilotwings or nothing with their N64?

Yes, congrats to all console manufacturers and more importantly to all fanboys. Let's talk again in a couple of months.

Do we know exactly what production facilities Sony are using at this point? My PS4 is a made in Japan model, also they seem to have cleared that production run error that was causing the casement failures. No more reports of broken units or bad sockets.

Do we know exactly what production facilities Sony are using at this point? My PS4 is a made in Japan model, also they seem to have cleared that production run error that was causing the casement failures. No more reports of broken units or bad sockets.

Apart from the Japanese production no one knows. But wouldn't it be the single components that make up the consoles that would be the limit to the production numbers.

In any case i don't think neither Microsoft nor Sony is scrambling to accelerate the production until they have solid evidence that they can sell a lot more than projected. Sometimes it's better to have have a line in front of your nightclub even if there is enough space inside. It builds hype...

Some more random numbers and graphs posted on GAF, which i find fun

NFS Rivals sales:

PS4 < 145k
360 < 53k
PS3 < 51k
XBO < 50k

So the splits were correct PS4 dominated. Last gen sales stunk and overall sales too it seems (though of course there's still digital). Obviously Xbox One owners had a better option in Forza.

Somebody made this ranking Neogaf NPD threads:

Top 10 NPD threads by amount of posts:

1) November 2013 - 5,084 posts, 531,189 views
2) January 2013 - 4,596 posts, 365,025 views
3) November 2010 - 3,563 posts, 231,795 views
4) April 2008 - 3,517 posts, 263,584 views
5) November 2008 - 3,450 posts, 327,342 views
6) October 2008 - 3,262 posts, 224,970 views
7) February 2013 - 3,024 posts, 270,134 views
8) December 2008 - 2,899 posts, 253,713 views
9) April 2007 - 2,839 posts, 204,620 views
10) June 2009 - 2,803 posts, 194,635 views

Now somebody said there were some epic NPD threads in 2006 and the like that were deleted when NPD made a data crackdown so the list isn't exhaustive. GAF was smaller then so it's possibly doubtful they would crack this list. Anyways, NPD is definitely getting some excitement again due to next gen.

Some other graphs, Sony/Nintendo handheld hardware Jan-Nov (I'm assuming NPD/US only). You can see the decline.

0QiXKD8.jpg

Wii hardware LTD and software by fiscal year, NPD. Basically useful for seeing Wii software peaked less than 2.5 years in and then steadily declined.

IW5d4AK.png

Same chart as above but for the whole world, same results

mgsQgwp.png

And lastly Nintendo handheld software

25zwPBC.png

Curious to see if we get digital download numbers for some titles eventually.
yes attach rates and a true vision of how software is doing won't be known (by us) until we see those

I am all digital this gen and have been for about a year previous gen as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back