All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PS4 doesn't really need exclusives to drive sales... just quality software. $399 was the sweet spot launch price IMO, and having the upper hand in terms of multiplats helps more than some think when you factor that in with the price advantage. Infamous, DriveClub, MLB The Show, MGS:V, Destiny, Watch Dogs, The Order etc., should keep sales fairly high throughout the year, with Uncharted and whatever else Sony's internal studios are working on coming shortly after.

Gamestop and Walmart only selling bundles online is also hindering sales. I believe Costco only sells bundles in-store, too. Without much effort, the PS4 could very well keep up a brisk pace all year IMO.

edit: another hour, another 157 gone. I can easily see it selling at a rate of 200/hour or more during peak hours. But it will probably sellout in less than an hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest, I'm really amazed it's selling at the rate it is. I actually am thinking quite hard about if I should re-install my PS3 to play some uncompleted games, because at the moment, the PS4 is lacking quite a bit of them. The PS4 is good fun for BF4 and some others, but I seriously miss some of the PS3 games, especially some of the simpler arcade games. Resogun just isn't enough to fill that void...

Im a Nintendo guy, but I have to applaud Sony for their remarkable job rolling out the PS4. They made a lot of very good decisions. Their price was right where it needed to be, and they are offering the best performance for that dollar. Microsoft has made some mistakes, and sales are reflecting that. Yes their holiday sales were strong, selling just over 3 million units before the end of 2013, but things are slowing way down for them now, and their are pyramids of Xbox Ones at retailers while the PS4 is still in limited supply. The PS4 will see another nice sales boost very soon with the release in Japan, the Xbox One wont see that. Microsoft made a mistake including Kinect, its simply not that popular, and the majority of people would have rather pay $399 for a Xbox One with no Kinect. Microsoft may have shipped nearly 4 million units in 2013, but it will be March before they have actually sold that many. Sony will probably take respectable losses in its next quarters profits because of selling the PS4 for a loss, but that should quickly turnaround into profits as the large userbase will be buying software to offset those losses.

Maybe it's an age-group thing as well
Yes. People who were kids playing local coop who are all grown up and haven't time to waste going round people's houses when going online is so much more convenient are not going to be buying second controllers for multiplayer support. But for families, multiplayer is almost a given. How many households are going to favour the TV being taken up by one player with the other two or three children having to look on? Wii made a huge success out of sociable gaming. It's shouldn't be questioned. AAA core franchises targeting the working gamer may forego local coop for online only, but that doesn't mean all games are going that route.

Doesn't mean I like the trend. Then again, I don't think I'm likely to want to play a shooter over a splitscreen. It's just not convinient if you can do the same using a headset and more competitively.
Local gaming isn't about the better game experience, but the better social experience. A compromise in visuals (letterboxing, reduced visuals) is easily out-weighed by the generally more fun experience.

As for the XBOnes controller being better suited or whatever - that's not my argument. I merely pointed out that I wouldn't read too much into controller sales to deduct that lots of people play local multiplayer games, as I know many people (me included) that bought a controller for other reasons (convinience - Point 2.) in Shifty's list which he thought must be insignificant).
Which was a fair argument that had me thinking, but my latest post about numbers I think nicely confirms it in my mind. 1.5 million additional controllers. 5 million ish consoles. That means only 30% of the consoles need to sell to families where two members want to play at the same time to account for all those extra consoles, without needing anyone to buy it as a spare. Is it that hard to believe 50% of PS4s are selling to families? Is it really only selling to single core gamers and unsociable teens in their bedrooms playing COD and KZ online? ;)

Fair points Shifty, as always.

Which was a fair argument that had me thinking, but my latest post about numbers I think nicely confirms it in my mind. 1.5 million additional controllers. 5 million ish consoles. That means only 30% of the consoles need to sell to families where two members want to play at the same time to account for all those extra consoles, without needing anyone to buy it as a spare. Is it that hard to believe 50% of PS4s are selling to families? Is it really only selling to single core gamers and unsociable teens in their bedrooms playing COD and KZ online? ;)

To answer your last question, if it is hard to believe 50% of PS4 are selling to families? Yes, I believe so - in at this point in time. I would bet that the majority of initial buyers (the crowd picking up the PS4 at it's launch price and desperately trying to find one available in stores or have been on pre-order lists for at least a few months prior to launch) are consumers with a solid income, above avergae gamers and loyal PS consumers, like myself. I don't doubt that there are also parents who got one for their kids (although I'm betting more teenage kids given there aren't THAT many family orientated games yet) but probably share a mutual interest in the console itself.

No doubt, as stock becomes increasingly available and the library grows, it will be on the buy list for many parents for their kids, which will eventually make up for a large marketshare.. but for now, I still think it's selling foremost to serious gamers, likely aged above 20.

Perhaps to put another angle on the controller sales; Would *I* have bought an extra controller if I hadn't had the slightest interest in local multiplayer at all? Probably yes, but less likely. I bought the controller foremost for convinience, but in knowledge that at some point, there will be more games that will support local multiplayer, so the added convinience and the potential to have a controller at hand when I have visitors is a win/win for me.

Also, just to add: On the PS3 - the 2nd controller was for convinience. The 3rd and 4th extra controller was because I started owning games that supported up to 4 or more players, so it was great to have them ready. Also, having more controllers reduces the wear-and-tear as you are likely to be using all of them at a regular basis. On the PS4, I'll be sticking to 2 controllers until there is some incentive to get more, depending on the games that support it. 7 player PixelJunk Racers or Bomberman is still some of the best fun I've had with a group of people on the PS3.

So, just incase we misunderstood each other; I'm sure there are lots of people buying second controllers for local multiplayer games (even if I don't happen to have any of them). I just wouldn't discount the motivation to get one on the grounds of convinience - especially given the DS4 doesn't last that long duration an extended session compared to the old DS3 (that lasted 3 times more?).

The record here is 4 people playing minecraft on the 360, i am not looking forward to minecraft on the ps4 :)

Just to add another angle, and smaller i think, the Red controller is now my girls controller, my son doesn't use it.. personal controllers..

I'm surprised to see that PS4 (non-bundled) continues to sell out online in the US, even if the pace is getting slower. The ebay markup for completed auctions is now down to cost (and even below cost in some transactions). Where I live (Metro Detroit) they're easy to find and almost all of the Gamestops around me have it in stock. Out of curiosity, I used their availability search here and typed a bunch of random major cities. Obviously this is only one retailer and may or may not be representative of the regional stock and demand situation in the US. Stock varies around the US which could be because demand is stronger in some areas, supply was short in these same areas, there are less gamestops, a combination of all of the above, etc.

I didn't search for every major city but I did try a lot of the major ones across the country to gauge regional demand (at gamestop). PS4 seems to be in shortest (gamestop) supply in the Northeast and in Florida. Especially Florida (who has many gamestops). The still falls under the umbrella of anecdotal, but go ahead and try it out of you're curious.

For X1/X360 owners, I would definitely get Eneloops, or high quality Made in Japan NiMH batteries. Or I would even consider the play/charge kit because that would make it more like the DS. :p

I second the Eneloops - best rechargeable batteries I've come across for my 360 controllers.
You can get them bundled with a charger for pretty cheap too.

And local multiplayer is really important to me, it's a major reason why I like consoles and has been that way since the PS1 days.

It's a pity that XB1 no longer supports system link as I've played many, many hours of Halo with system linked Xboxes and 360s. There is nothing quite like trash talking your friends when you're all playing in the same room.

I really hope Halo 5 will still feature 4 player splitscreen and the ability for 4 players to play online on the same console otherwise there will be very little reason for me to get an Xbox One and I will just keep my 360 and get a PS4.

In fact, besides the superior controller, the 360's far greater support for local multiplayer is are for me, the main advantages it has over the PS3.

Sony's fiscal numbers are out. As I feared, they are combining PS3/PS4, meaning it seems we'll never get like for like XBo/PS4 numbers to compare

18_image.jpg

7.8 million PS3/PS4. How does that break out, well we know they sold 4.2m PS4, and 360 shipped 3.5m last quarter to give an outline where PS3 might have been close to.

Other than that's it's anybody's guess.

Edit: well if you do want to compare like for like, XBO+360 shipped 7.4m in the same quarter.

Actually he doesn't. The article author says Patel says XB1 needs to close the gap. Patel actually just said there is a gap and "there's a lot of catching up to do." The original article was actually Amazon's view on the gaming sector and all competitors.

7.8 million PS3/PS4. How does that break out, well we know they sold 4.2m PS4, and 360 shipped 3.5m last quarter to give an outline where PS3 might have been close to.

Other than that's it's anybody's guess.
The figures cover their third quarter which ended on 31 December 2013. Sony announced on 28 December 2013 that they'd sold 4.2m PlayStation 4s worldwide and I doubt the extra 3 days were significant in sales. It's probable that they knew at that time that no more inventory would make it into sales channels, otherwise they'd just have waited three days.

The figures cover their third quarter which ended on 31 December 2013. Sony announced on 28 December 2013 that they'd sold 4.2m PlayStation 4s worldwide and I doubt the extra 3 days were significant in sales. It's probable that they knew at that time that no more inventory would make it into sales channels, otherwise they'd just have waited three days.

For a launch period though, shipments will be some amount higher than sales. We'll just never know how much in this case.

To sell 4.2m PS4's/Xbox's/widgets you have to ship more than that, there's always X amount in the channel. you dont ship 4.2m and stop.

My guess is anywhere from 4.4 to 4.9m PS4's shipped. Too bad Sony wont tell us...

Remember the difference between end consumer sales (the 4.2m/3m Xbox One numbers) and shipped to retail.

Xbox One reported shipping 3.9m in the same period they reported end consumer sales of 3m IIRC. However Xbox One had more retail stock, in other words more in the pipeline, than PS4 appeared too. So if the shipped/sold difference was 900k for One, it would in theory be some amount less for PS4, but not zero.

There's simply no way of know how many were in the channel. It's very possible that there were none. Any shipments to the US were sold out pretty much instantly in December. Demand far exceeded Sony's expectations. We had reports from retailers in other countries saying that Sony promised stock before Christmas, but shipments were diverted to the US and parts of Europe.

http://www.zawya.com/story/Second_PS4_shipments_in_UAE_by_next_week-GN_07012014_080122/

Considering how fast PS4s sold out and how hard it was to find a PS4 in December, my guess is 4.3M PS4s or slightly more at the most, leaving ~100k in the channel (which is still quite a lot). That puts the PS3 about neck and neck with the X360.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back