All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also think they reduced the price of the console at the right time. It gave them boost in October [they lost NPD month against Halo5, but not by much], then fever rose with the arrival of Battlefront whose bundles pre-sold very well [what a great PR that game got], and then additional 3-day pricedrop for BF. They chained a lot of good decisions one after another.

I't be nice to see what sales of PSN cards and PS4 games looks like for November as that might help us to see if the bundle was part of holiday purchase and the lost profit due to price cut is being offset by additional sales.

I't be nice to see what sales of PSN cards and PS4 games looks like for November as that might help us to see if the bundle was part of holiday purchase and the lost profit due to price cut is being offset by additional sales.

I'm pretty sure Sony isn't losing anything on PS4 hardware sales, nor it's remastered first party games being bundled. PS4 from all indication was profitable within a 3-4 months, even with the DDR5 boogieman. As for the remasters (especially, Drake's Uncharted Collection), those are just more icing on the cake.

Sony and Naughty Dog didn't have to spend tons and tons of money and resources on something that was already designed... just needed porting (which Bluepoint took care of, and probably at a reasonable cost + bonuses). The profit margin maybe slightly less, with the new hardware pricing... but losing profit - no. Plus, the original PS4 BOM cost is more than likely (has) reduced, thus allowing Sony an early product lifecycle price reduction.

Last edited:
To be fair, I don't think Sony are playing with commensurate skill. I think they're playing amateur Tekken style, hammering buttons and seeing what happens. With the PS3 character they were very hit and miss with no flow, kinda like Lei or King, but selecting PS4 in the menu this time it seems every random button combo works and scores an impressive hit, like playing Baek and working X and O in time for crazy kick chains. There's nothing difficult or clever about their play but they're trashing the opposition who, like me trying to play a character properly, must be getting really pissed off with the ease of the combos pummelling them. MS is still trying to memorise the ten hit combo, failing to appreciate they'll never get the opportunity to execute it between the relentless barrage even if they do finally learn it. While Nintendo's decided to play solo with the boxing dinosaur because it's cute and they don't like the competitive pressure, but still can't get past the lower level CPU opponents.

While Sony seem to have gotten a bit lucky this time around, and while I know you're kinda joking, I strongly disagree that they're button mashing their way through this generation and somehow found fortune through the chaos.

Bit ironic that RotTR was the supposed UC4 killer - or at least main competitor - and instead it seems to be getting a spanking from the old UC remastered collection. While UC4 has next year all to itself.

MS didn't spend enough money to advertise the game, shame because it looks like a good game after all (most user reports are very positive). I hope it sells enough on PC and Ps4 when it comes to make up for this poor launch (sales wise).

MS didn't spend enough money to advertise the game, shame because it looks like a good game after all (most user reports are very positive). I hope it sells enough on PC and Ps4 when it comes to make up for this poor launch (sales wise).
Not sure where you live, but here in Canada they played RotTR commercials A LOT in the past few weeks, more than any other XB1 game save for maybe Halo 5. I'm sure it was the same in the US. Plus there were ads on the UFC ring posts in the last event I believe.

Maybe there was no interest in the game then? Or at least for the Xbox users. It also went directly against Fallout 4 which would always end in a bloodbath. Surely it's definitely not one factor but several.

Combination of bad release time and relatively little interest among XB1 owners. Tomb Raider Definitive Edition sold 2x more on PS4 in the US when XB1/PS4 had a closer install base than it is now. Plus Tomb Raider usually sells best in Europe where Sony has a massive lead and therefore a much higher share of TR: DE sales than even in the US.

ROTR is a really good game. While it's true that sales don't reflect the quality of the game, but the model works in that developers are seldom contracted royalties in the matter; I believe the common arrangement is for the developers to be paid out bonuses based on review scores. Publishers are the ones who decide if they should continue investing in the series or not. So in this case, it's up to Square how to continue to reap revenues from this title. I think they will be able to quite easily.

That being said, I've full confidence that CD continue to be hired to make games. Incredible job they did with ROTR. Looking forward to their next release.

Sony follow the right path learning from PS3 failure and 360 success: A more powerful console(GPU) than the concurrence with a familiar hardware (x86) and as simple as possible architecture (unified memory). Sony choose the right launch price (400 dollars/euros) and the right politic games first, other services are not the focus...

MS did everything wrong price, power, too much TV, obsession to be a core and casual gaming console from the get go with Kinect included in the package and talking about online DRM at E3 2013. Casual are now on tablet and smartphone and the Wii took the market with a cheap product 249 dollars/euros. It is impossible to be a Wii and an Xbox at the same time. The Wii U and the controller were too expensive and the concept was a failure, price matters for casual...

Since 2014 MS have done a 180 turn but some error will stay (power...) and the momentum is on Sony side.

The PS4 is like the PS2 and the PS3 a machine taking time to have a regular flow of exclusive games... 2001 for PS2, 2009 for PS3 and it seems it will be 2016 for PS4...

Tomb Raider sales problem is simple a title more popular with Playstation crowd and in Europe where Xbox One is not popular out of UK...

Another thing for owner of only one console buy a Xbox One for Tomb Raider means not play the next Uncharted... Most people prefer wait March to buy UC4 and wait fall 2016 to play Tomb Raider...

Last edited:
It's a bad thing to say, but in a way, I'm a little smug about the sales ROTR has been getting. If this was multi-platform, I would have picked it up, just I like I did with two copies of the last one (once for PS3 and another for PS4). Them going with the exclusivity thing just made me think of the publisher as arrogant pricks following the money hat instead of doing the proper thing. I was similarly annoyed when Namco did the same when they took the Resident Evil series away from the platform that sold millions of that series and to see Tomb Raider go the same path was more than a little annoying.

To the point actually, I'm not even sure I'll be still interested in getting this once it hits the PS4. Best bet is, I'll pick it up at a reduced price. Tough luck.

Sony understand something MS seems to not understand a franchise can decline. After Uncharted 4 Naughty Dog will stop to work on Uncharted franchise and continue with TLOU 2 and Savage Starlight...

They decided to do a big marketing deals to have the next Bungie games...

Studios talent are maybe more important than franchise name...

Edit: 2016 will be a good year for MS with new franchise...

Another good move of Sony was to follow the nostalgia trend with FF 7 remake and Shenmue 3...

Last edited:
It's a bad thing to say, but in a way, I'm a little smug about the sales ROTR has been getting. If this was multi-platform, I would have picked it up, just I like I did with two copies of the last one (once for PS3 and another for PS4). Them going with the exclusivity thing just made me think of the publisher as arrogant pricks following the money hat instead of doing the proper thing. I was similarly annoyed when Namco did the same when they took the Resident Evil series away from the platform that sold millions of that series and to see Tomb Raider go the same path was more than a little annoying.

To the point actually, I'm not even sure I'll be still interested in getting this once it hits the PS4. Best bet is, I'll pick it up at a reduced price. Tough luck.
I agree. We talked about this a lot in the "for/against exclusives" thread, I won't get ROTR nor SF5 unless they are used copy. I don't want these tactics to be profitable and I hope other publishers won't try that again. Otherwise it becomes attrition warfare which is dangerous for the entire industry.

I honestly wish the infamous ROTR deal causes SE, CD, and MS to suffer that midget thing from that other thread, whichever of them is responsible for it.

Last edited:
The PS4 is like the PS2 and the PS3 a machine taking time to have a regular flow of exclusive games... 2001 for PS2, 2009 for PS3 and it seems it will be 2016 for PS4...
Well personally I don't think we will ever, ever have a year like 2001 again, when we got MGS2, FFX, GTA3, GT3, SH2 and the original DMC! All in one year, and I'm sure I've forgotten a few. Those were the days.

ROTR is a really good game. While it's true that sales don't reflect the quality of the game, but the model works in that developers are seldom contracted royalties in the matter; I believe the common arrangement is for the developers to be paid out bonuses based on review scores. Publishers are the ones who decide if they should continue investing in the series or not. So in this case, it's up to Square how to continue to reap revenues from this title. I think they will be able to quite easily.

That being said, I've full confidence that CD continue to be hired to make games. Incredible job they did with ROTR. Looking forward to their next release.
I'm sure it's a great game and I'll likely pick it up at some point. It will be interesting to see how well it sells on PS4, I'm not expecting too well but as you said that in no way means its not a very good game.

PS3 fans have been aware of that fact for some time now.... [emoji41]

Xbox supporters learning to embrace that reality. SO was very good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back