All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dat Cboat massive yield issues :LOL:

For shits n giggles I compared Phil's b4stats site (http://temp.conceptics.ch/bf4stats/) to get an idea of rolling average of BF4 players and compare that to actual recorded sales as of end of Dec (which was 4.2m PS4 and 3m One). The ratio is in fact pretty close.

If Phil keeps the site up over time we can get more data, and see for example if it corresponds at all to monthly sales trends etc. This might be difficult though, since it's worldwide stats and NPD's are USA only. Still, I'm guessing the ratios may be fairly constant.

I'd be happy to. I'm keeping an eye on things, but if for any reason the bf4stats.com stops working or changes something in their layout, I may have to make some adjustments to the scraper. If this does happens (you'll notice if the graph just stops and the site bf4stats still shows numbers), just send me a PM, if I didn't notice it yet. I'll do my best to correct it.

It's still a supply issue. You can explain that the PS4 supply issue is caused by excessive demand instead of poor production capability, but that doesn't change the fact that they are currently not distributing enough units to enable everyone who wants to buy one to do so.

But we know the production capacity is ~million units a month on par with MS's production of XB1s.

The XB1 has satisfied, nothing wrong with that supply, demand whereas the PS4 is not yet there. Nothing wrong with the supply, if they were producing 2,3,4 million a month and those units left the shelves as soon as they arrived it's still the demand that is outpacing the supply.

I guess I just don't get the invented issue with supply!? It just seems that it's easier to blame that than face up to the fact that the demand is outstripping a perfectly good supply.

But we know the production capacity is ~million units a month on par with MS's production of XB1s.

The XB1 has satisfied, nothing wrong with that supply, demand whereas the PS4 is not yet there. Nothing wrong with the supply, if they were producing 2,3,4 million a month and those units left the shelves as soon as they arrived it's still the demand that is outpacing the supply.

I guess I just don't get the invented issue with supply!? It just seems that it's easier to blame that than face up to the fact that the demand is outstripping a perfectly good supply.

It's because overwhelming demand isn't an "issue". It's a positive. Not being able to satisfy demand *is* an issue as it is negatively impacting sales.

I understand why you might feel you need to pre-emptively spin this, but it's not really necessary. Not many reasonably objective people at this point, after the sales number announcements, are going to argue that the reason that XBones are readily available while PS4's are scarce is that MS has been better at supply. And do unreasonably non-objective people really matter?

At this point, XBOne's sales could be higher with wider distribution (more territories) and PS4's sales could be higher if they could make and distribute more. Of the two, I believe the PS4's sales are being limited more and have higher potential.

Edit: Actually, I'd also argue that we don't really *know* anything about the production capacity of these consoles. It's not really relevant to the broader point, but let's not treat general assumptions as fact.

It's because overwhelming demand isn't an "issue". It's a positive. Not being able to satisfy demand *is* an issue as it is negatively impacting sales.
You could argue supply is limiting potential sales but negatively impacting sales? They can't sell more than they can already therefore it's hard to argue sales are impacted. They aren't, they're selling them all.

Of course they could be people who get frustrated at not being able to get a PS4 and buy an Xbox One instead but that's immeasurable.

You could argue supply is limiting potential sales but negatively impacting sales? They can't sell more than they can already therefore it's hard to argue sales are impacted. They aren't, they're selling them all.

Of course they could be people who get frustrated at not being able to get a PS4 and buy an Xbox One instead but that's immeasurable.

Is lack of supply negatively impacting sales at this moment? Yes, obviously, and for as long as demand exceeds supply. That 4.2M would undoubtedly have been a bigger number if they could have made more available to be bought. Will it continue to matter over time? Probably not.

Edit: And no, I don't think saying lack of supply is costing them potential sales is accurate. Lack of supply is what is keeping those sales as potential sales instead of them becoming actual sales. Some, probably insignificant, number of those potential sales could also become non-sales, but I don't believe those will amount to much.

Last edited by a moderator:

"Negatively impacting sales" in this context clearly means potential sales rather than actual sales. He's not saying overall sales are lower because of limited supply, simply that if they could make more they'd sell more.

PS4 evidently did not outsell 360 in UK in 2013, as was previously reported

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/ne...-console-in-2013-3ds-best-selling-device.html

Xbox 360 outsold the PS4 in 2013, it has been clarified.

A GfK Chart Track spokesperson told Digital Spy that a recent report saying PS4 was the best selling console was "an error", but said that the difference between the two systems was "very close".

A new report by Eurogamer confirmed that the Xbox 360 was the biggest-selling home console in the UK, despite experiencing a 30.7% drop in annual sales.

The overall best-selling system was the 3DS family of systems, with sales up 4% on the previous year.

The PS4 was in third place, despite not launching until the end of November, followed by the PS3 in fourth and Xbox One in fifth.

And some France 2013 sales from GfK

http://www.gamekult.com/actu/ventes-francaises-les-chiffres-de-2013-A128535.html

ventes-francaises-les-chiffres-de-2013-ME3050216810_1.jpg

ventes-francaises-les-chiffres-de-2013-ME3050216811_1.jpg

The Last of Us: 240,000
Gran Turismo 6: 145,000

Top sales (2013 only) per console
PS4: FIFA 14 (+100,000)
Wii U: Super Mario 3D World (80,000)
XBO: Forza 5 (+30,000)
Vita: FIFA 14 (30,000)

I didn't realize that was a even a race. One is out for less than two months and supply constrained. I guess a win is a win, grats MS.

I think it's more about refuting that PS4 outsold the previous leader in sales, which would have been quite amazing if it did happen.

Non-news ultimately.

The availability of PS4 has gotten better in Finland during this week. I could have bought one today :) Many stores have received shipments recently.

Huh? PS4 FIFA 14 is listed, nothing XB1 though.

It shows Sweden as a default. Yeah the launch quantities were really low over here. Many stores only had like 3-6 units, when those same stores had 10 units or some even more yesterday. Understandable because Scandinavia is a pretty strong Sony market.

Xbox One hasn't been released over here yet.

It shows Sweden as a default. Yeah the launch quantities were really low over here. Many stores only had like 3-6 units, when those same stores had 10 units or some even more yesterday. Understandable because Scandinavia is a pretty strong Sony market.

Ok. Thanks...

So we should expect some strong presence of PS4 games in next week charts of Scandinavian countries? have the stores sold out of their PS4 shipment?

I think they are moving pretty quickly, but I haven't really spent time to verify anything. I might check a nearby store later today if they still have any. Yesterday they had 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back