All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with regards to the PS1 and 3, it's not true for PS2. It was quite hard to still get a PS2 after four months off its European launch. You could get one, but it wasn't readily available yet at that point. It had a huge demand. You can see from the shipped numbers that they were flying off the shelves in their third fiscal year. The production numbers had to ramp up to really high. I'm only fixated on using these shipped numbers as a point to your argument not the argument itself.

Fair enough. I don't think you can just extend the period out any further, though, without the comparison becoming even less valid. Right now the PS4 is as expensive as it's likely to be, has the smallest software library it will ever have and has the smallest feature set it ever will. Those other consoles were already enjoying the numerous benefits of additional time on the market and those benefits made them increasingly appealing products. I'm trying to compare demand, so even if what I put froward was an imperfect comparison, I'd argue that it only gets more imperfect with added time on the market.

Man.. what on earth is going on at Amazon? How is PS4 top selling when its barely in stock and cant even preorder

Absolutely insane stuff here

Because that number is reflecting recent sales and the PS4 just became available after not being available due to selling out. Nothing crazy there.

I just wanted to echo that this is correct. Actually, the number of PS2s sold doesn't actually matter. Because consoles were extremely supply limited, I didn't bother to try and use first year of a single console when I was performing my estimate. Instead, I used the total amount sold in the last couple of generations with a slight adjustment on the Wii/PS3/XBox 360 generation to account for the fact that the PS2/XBox/Gamecube generation went until ~2011. I then roughly estimated the generation over generation increase to be about 33% because that fit with historic numbers. Given those numbers, I then estimated what I considered the "core" segment for each console to be to arrive at the number I thought would be sold before we transitioned into the larger population segment.

So I figured there would probably be ~5 million sold by each console before we saw meaningful extra supply. When I was doing this, my point wasn't to see what each console needed to "win" the console war. Rather, I was more interested in the "Consoles are dying" argument. I wanted to see what the numbers would need to be fore solid generation over generation growth - so this was a quick estimate.

That is why I haven't really bothered to participate in the argument. It was a rough estimate on my part, it isn't really all that time dependent, and I was just stating my opinion on where I thought things should be. I have my reasons for that opinion - but it is just an estimate.

Well, there's your problem. ;)

You could still end up being right about it being 10M combined. It just won't be an even split.

I don't know that I can buy this. World wide, we know that Sony has sold 4.2 million consoles and is pretty much sold out. We know Microsoft has sold 3 million consoles and is not sold out. So if we say that MS is supplying more, we have to assume that world wide, MS has more than 1.2 million consoles unsold (that is the difference they have to make up just to reach Sony's sold number).

Plus we have no reason to believe that Sony's manufacturing capacity are lower than MS's or that Sony's allocations are much smaller. It just seems a stretch to try and make that argument.

I just wanted to echo that this is correct. Actually, the number of PS2s sold doesn't actually matter. Because consoles were extremely supply limited, I didn't bother to try and use first year of a single console when I was performing my estimate. Instead, I used the total amount sold in the last couple of generations with a slight adjustment on the Wii/PS3/XBox 360 generation to account for the fact that the PS2/XBox/Gamecube generation went until ~2011. I then roughly estimated the generation over generation increase to be about 33% because that fit with historic numbers. Given those numbers, I then estimated what I considered the "core" segment for each console to be to arrive at the number I thought would be sold before we transitioned into the larger population segment.

So I figured there would probably be ~5 million sold by each console before we saw meaningful extra supply. When I was doing this, my point wasn't to see what each console needed to "win" the console war. Rather, I was more interested in the "Consoles are dying" argument. I wanted to see what the numbers would need to be fore solid generation over generation growth - so this was a quick estimate.

That is why I haven't really bothered to participate in the argument. It was a rough estimate on my part, it isn't really all that time dependent, and I was just stating my opinion on where I thought things should be. I have my reasons for that opinion - but it is just an estimate.

The PS4 is available in 50+ countries, the Xbox One is only available in 13. Be careful of trying to lump the entire world together when the entire world can't get it.

Microsoft doesn't have nearly as much brand presence worldwide. The X1 is available in most major markets. I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4's sales in Japan will be enough to cover the X1's sales in every other country that the X1 is currently not available in, which is not to say that the PS4 will be incredibly successful in Japan.

Because that number is reflecting recent sales and the PS4 just became available after not being available due to selling out. Nothing crazy there.
The PS4 has been ranked top 3 for the past week or so, with only promised stock for January 16 - 18th going in and out of stock. It's almost mid January and the PS4 has already sold a lot, so it is pretty incredible that the demand is still this high IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
MS is trying to increase it's brand in Europe.

One of the key sponsorships for Sony have been UEFA and European football, with the Playstation logo featured in a lot of European football matches.

So supposedly MS is negotiating to rename the Bernabeu to Microsoft stadium or some such absurdity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24850029

Man.. what on earth is going on at Amazon? How is PS4 top selling when its barely in stock and cant even preorder

I would think alert/notify is playing a major part in this. It works pretty well with other retailers and e-retailers.

From what I see they get a batch, quickly sell out, rinse repeat.

I'm not sure how big these batches are really. I caught a couple earlier that were small (15-16) but who knows what they started at, I just catch them whenever I happen to see them. They could have been 900, and 15 left when I see them.

If you want one I guess, just keep a close eye. Sites like nowinstock are good too. I hate that everybody knows about that site now LOL, it's an ebay scalpers best friend.

We can safely say PS4's overall outselling Xbox One because of chart positions though. At least since Jan 1 anyway.

MS is trying to increase it's brand in Europe.

One of the key sponsorships for Sony have been UEFA and European football, with the Playstation logo featured in a lot of European football matches.

So supposedly MS is negotiating to rename the Bernabeu to Microsoft stadium or some such absurdity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24850029

Must have been a slap in the face to see that FIFA14 sold more on the PS4 having gone to the trouble of making it a bundle game on the xbone.

It's not going to sell as many copies if its bundled...

So packin sales aren't counted towards total copies sold? I ask bc I thought that was a big discussion point back with WiiFit or Wii Sports was selling millions of copies but it was part of a bundle. Maybe my memory is fuzzy though.... Serious question BTW.

So packin sales aren't counted towards total copies sold? I ask bc I thought that was a big discussion point back with WiiFit or Wii Sports was selling millions of copies but it was part of a bundle. Maybe my memory is fuzzy though.... Serious question BTW.

It was Wii Play, not Wii Sports. And WIi Play was bundled with a WIimote at a minimal premium over a Wiimote alone, which is what made people question the legitimacy of it's sales numbers.

Not in the media create or NPD numbers. Publishers will announce total numbers tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back