All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh boy, we've reached the conspiracy theory stage...come on guys. This sounds like stuff from that other message board. I frankly dont believe it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-X...1194228394?pt=Video_Games&hash=item2587ecbaaa

Another one sold @ $420

You're really edging on everybody's nerves with blatantly false information.

It really isn't hard to fine one cheap on eBay.
Yup, there are many Xbox Ones sold below cost.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Video-Game-...0&_nkw=xbox+one&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

It's worth noting that the links that I provided are sorted by auction end time first so the ones near the top as of now will be a bit lower than the ones as you scroll down a bit. Less people online bidding obviously means the end price will be lower. And as always is the case with ebay, there is always a pretty big swing in sale prices of similar items ending around the same time. It's easy to find a relatively low price on something, but you can clearly see that many PS4s are sold for higher than retail. And consoles sold on ebay are generally sold for a bit lower than what most people get on BST sites (buy/sell/trade).

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh boy, we've reached the conspiracy theory stage...come on guys. This sounds like stuff from that other message board. I frankly dont believe it.
Then you or someone else that have time to go to BB/GS/etc should test it.
Some stores in my country don't allow taking pictures of the goods, but I imagine if a store already implement no taking pictures policy and receive this letter, they probably will put someone to watch the company A goods more closely.

Yup, I can find AT LEAST as many Xbox Ones sold for below cost than there are PS4s selling at around cost or a small profit. Most PS4s I see are selling for at least a $40-$60 profit.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Video-Game-...0&_nkw=xbox+one&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

It's worth noting that the links that I provided are sorted by action end time first so there will be a pretty big swing in the sale prices as you scroll down. Less people online bidding obviously means the end price will be lower. It's currently 10:32PM CST.

Also, people selling PS4s on BST (buy/sell/trade) sites like kijiji, craigslist etc., are making a much higher profit than ebay sellers.
But it's not about profit... it's the fact that PS4s are still selling for higher than retail, meaning demand is still higher than supply.

It isn't too much higher though.

Thing is ebay takes about 13%. And in most cases the buyer paid tax/shipping on the PS4 purchase as well. A while back I calculated $500 is probably the break even price on a ebay PS4. It was $620 for Xbox one!

Some people may be finding loopholes to not pay tax. There are still many states Amazon doesn't charge tax on and they have an advantage. Not paying tax would bring the break even price down to more like 460.

I just happened to catch some PS4 stock for Jan 18 on Amazon. There were 80, they sold in maybe like 5-6 minutes. Still an extremely fast, ~1k an hour pace.

These little drabs of stock must be why PS4 keeps shooting to #1 on Amazon.

I havent been able to check how fast XBO's have been selling in ages. They always have more than 999 in stock, so it's uncheckable. Last time I was able though, they were selling extremely slower than PS4's (80-160 an hour IIRC). And you can also tell that by PS4 usually ranking higher despite XBO being in stock constantly.

I dont know, I kind of bet it's mostly scalpers from non-tax states. I just dont see normal buyers snapping them PS4's in such a frenzy. People in non-taxed states can probably make 50 bucks a pop on craigslist all day on them. It's not that much but to some people on unemployment or something it may be worth it.

I actually had I think 6 PS4's and 10 XBO's preordered back for launch. I ended up canceling them as they neared, didn't look to be worth the trouble. I could have made some cash, but it just didn't feel like enough to be worth it. Especially since though it's never happened to me, I read a lot of horror stories about buyers scamming sellers on ebay. Losing the whole price of just one console to a fraudulent buyer could have wiped out the majority of profits on all the other ones, because the profits just weren't that much.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Video-Game-...plete=1&_nkw=playstation+4&rt=nc&LH_Auction=1

Then you or someone else that have time to go to BB/GS/etc should test it.
Some stores in my country don't allow taking pictures of the goods, but I imagine if a store already implement no taking pictures policy and receive this letter, they probably will put someone to watch the company A goods more closely.

I'd test it, but the only 'next gen' console in my local Best Buy is the WiiU.

Err, I always just assumed pictures of merchandise werent allowed in any store, thats just common sense. Another reason this alleged big evil Microsoft thing wouldn't make sense.

Now, in this age of cell phones, finding an employee who cares enough to stop you would be another matter. Especially if you just dont flaunt that you're doing it, let alone take a little effort to conceal.

I've snapped a few pictures of consoles at Wal Mart. There's usually nobody around anyway. I took a pic of some Xbox One's the morning after BF (was shocked they werent sold out).

Err, I always just assumed pictures of merchandise werent allowed in any store, thats just common sense. Another reason this alleged big evil Microsoft thing wouldn't make sense.

Now, in this age of cell phones, finding an employee who cares enough to stop you would be another matter. Especially if you just dont flaunt that you're doing it, let alone take a little effort to conceal.

They have QR codes all over products in stores now. I doubt they can tell if you're taking a picture or just scanning a code.

Neither do I. Sorry, Shortbread, no sale. This one is just too implausible to just accept on your say-so.

Neither do I. Sorry, Shortbread, no sale. This one is just too implausible to just accept on your say-so.

Honestly, it doesn't really matter if I'm believed or not. But I will tell you this, sometimes the truth is just that - the truth.

Strange thing; previous memos dealt with ***e and ******e at one point and time. Go figure...

It isn't too much higher though.

Thing is ebay takes about 13%. And in most cases the buyer paid tax/shipping on the PS4 purchase as well. A while back I calculated $500 is probably the break even price on a ebay PS4. It was $620 for Xbox one!
Ebay takes ~10% for regular sellers, ~8% for top sellers, ~4% for ebay store sellers, and ~3% for top sellers with an ebay store.

Again, that link is sorted by time ending date, and it's currently 11:20PM CST. Scroll down a bit and many are selling for $500 or more. On BST sites, people are getting about the same, if not more than ebay sellers. ~$500-$550 is about what PS4s sell for around here on BST.

And again, it's not about profit, it's about what people are paying. Anyone with a brain wouldn't pay more than retail if it was available in their area.

Paypal then takes the rest. I've dabbled quite a bit in ebay at times. It's right around 13% altogether.

People are likely profiting on PS4 on ebay, I'm not really sure what we're arguing. It's just not any windfall. They are probably not paying tax ( I recently read Amazon charges tax or will soon in 19 states, which covers 180m people, but that leaves many out). And yes, having a store is probably another tactic being used.

My guess was if scalpers are snapping those Amazon systems up they're going more to Craigslist. Get one for no tax, and even 450 allows some profit.

XBO's OTOH were almost a lost cause from the start.

It doesn't matter if it was only in Japan during those first few months.

That was still the entire worldwide supply of PS2s. That is completely different from worldwide demand. Had they launched PS2 in NA + Japan + EU at the time, they still would have sold the same number of PS2s because of manufacturing limitations (like the PS4/Xbox One) or due to localization limitations (like the Xbox One).

First of all it was few weeks, not months. It launched in Japan on March 4, fiscal year ended at the end of March. There is absolutely NO POINT in using that as "first year" in any sort of comparison or proof of something unless you are really desperate in trying to spin or fudge the numbers or just too lazy to research what's behind the number like mrcorbo was.

What doesn't matter is worthless speculation such as "Had they launched PS2 in NA + Japan + EU at the time"
if such arbitrary cut of sales point is used. I wasn't the one who got supply and demand mixed anyway. No one was saying that 4.2M in this time is not a good supply performance, even if someone expected such amount of demand to be there like Xalion did. He wasn't downplaying the supply side at all,

First of all it was few weeks, not months. It launched in Japan on March 4, fiscal year ended at the end of March. There is absolutely NO POINT in using that as "first year" in any sort of comparison or proof of something unless you are really desperate in trying to spin or fudge the numbers or just too lazy to research what's behind the number like mrcorbo was.

I have gone to great lengths to research and derive detailed sales-related information in the past when necessary. Until you provide better information and show how it meaningfully changes the comparison, I'd appreciate it if you'd avoid calling me out for being lazy.

Thanks.

Honestly, it doesn't really matter if I'm believed or not. But I will tell you this, sometimes the truth is just that - the truth.

Strange thing; previous memos dealt with ***e and ******e at one point and time. Go figure...

I think you story about the memo is true, there really is no reason to lie about something like that and I appreciate the data points you have shared.

I am not sure however that I agree with the interpretation of the purpose behind the memo. NPD data was taken offline a while back too and it wasn't because company B's sales were less than company A's. IMO companies want to keep this sort of info as proprietary as possible for a number of reasons but most likely its due to the impact on stock prices which can lead to SEC investigations. Its also not unprecedented for retailers to no divulge sales info bc it can have ramifications and unintended consequences.

Let's see what happens over the next couple months with NPD results and please don't do anything could jeopardize your or your source's job.

Ebay takes ~10% for regular sellers, ~8% for top sellers, ~4% for ebay store sellers, and ~3% for top sellers with an ebay store.

Again, that link is sorted by time ending date, and it's currently 11:20PM CST. Scroll down a bit and many are selling for $500 or more. On BST sites, people are getting about the same, if not more than ebay sellers. ~$500-$550 is about what PS4s sell for around here on BST.

And again, it's not about profit, it's about what people are paying. Anyone with a brain wouldn't pay more than retail if it was available in their area.

To the larger point, regardless what the profit ends up being for the seller buyers are opting to pay 100.00 over retail for a PS4, that is material.

I have gone to great lengths to research and derive detailed sales-related information in the past when necessary. Until you provide better information and show how it meaningfully changes the comparison, I'd appreciate it if you'd avoid calling me out for being lazy.

Thanks.

I have not commented your past posts/efforts prior to this topic in anyway so let's keep that out of this.

Better information is exactly what I have provided and pointed out by highlighting Nathansfortune's numbers.

"28.68m" This is basically what PS2 did in two years not 10.6 million like you put worth. That is a meaningful difference in my book. If you go to lengths of calculating percentages such as:

"PS4 has sold to consumers in 1 1/2 months 31%, 40% and 25% respectively of what those prior consoles shipped in their first two years."

you would do well to look a bit what is included in those numbers and tell us instead of trying to strengthen your mainly uncontested point. If Sony sits at 7.5M units at the end of March, are you going to come up with a line saying Sony sold five times more PS4s than PS2s in it's first year? Just because a terrible example doesn't change a point doesn't mean terrible examples should be used.

Lazy was the best word I could come up with. It doesn't undermine capability, just the effort in this one thing.

To the larger point, regardless what the profit ends up being for the seller buyers are opting to pay 100.00 over retail for a PS4, that is material.

Same could be said of dumb people buying a 3G modem for $100 on Ebay when others like me got the same item for $18 from the same seller in the same week. Pretty sure those 3G modems weren't in high demand...

Overall I'm not seeing much relevance in dumb people paying more than MSRP...it happens all the time..every second of every day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not commented your past posts/efforts prior to this topic in anyway so let's keep that out of this.

Better information is exactly what I have provided and pointed out by highlighting Nathansfortune's numbers.

"28.68m" This is basically what PS2 did in two years not 10.6 million like you put worth. That is a meaningful difference in my book. If you go to lengths of calculating percentages such as:

"PS4 has sold to consumers in 1 1/2 months 31%, 40% and 25% respectively of what those prior consoles shipped in their first two years."

you would do well to look a bit what is included in those numbers and tell us instead of trying to strengthen your mainly uncontested point. If Sony sits at 7.5M units at the end of March, are you going to come up with a line saying Sony sold five times more PS4s than PS2s in it's first year? Just because a terrible example doesn't change a point doesn't mean terrible examples should be used.

Lazy was the best word I could come up with. It doesn't undermine capability, just the effort in this one thing.

Would you agree that by the time of the end of the second fiscal year that I used for the PS1, 2, and 3 that all of those consoles were widely available? Because that is why I used that as a cut-off point. The time frame itself is irrelevant. You seem fixated on the ideas that I am somehow comparing sales. I am not. How could I when I am comparing shipped to sold numbers? I am trying to show that shipping that many of each of those consoles was more than able to satisfy all of the demand for those consoles up to that point and comparing that to Sony already shipping at least 4.2M PS4s and still, apparently, not being able to meet demand.

If I knew a way to find out the exact number of PS1, 2 & 3's that Sony shipped at the time that each of those consoles became demand limited than I would use those numbers. But since I don't I used what was available. I suspect that those numbers were each less than 4.2M, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back