All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading the google translate, it seems like those numbers are pretty up to date. Up to end of November.

I know someone working for Micromania (Gamestop) in France and he said to me The sales of PS4 are much higher than Xbox One 5:1 in December. We have 7:1 for Spain, 500k PS4 and 175k Xbox One and Wii U combined in Italy.

In Tier 2 country it is probably the same situation or worse...

Edit: old gen number November 2013:

Wii: 4.6M (42%)
PS3: 3.9M (36%)
Xbox 360: 2.4M (22%)

It was 2:1 in Spain and same thing in France.

Last edited:
are you sure?
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2454402,00.asp

The billion dollar figure includes hardware sales of the $99 device, as well as content sold through the platform, like movies and TV shows, Re/Code reported, so it's hard to tell exactly how many Apple TV units the company has sold.

edit: so provided sales grew last year, its making more revenue on the tv boxes than the content, though I assume the content earns more profits

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/02/28/apple-tv-not-a-hobby/
During Apple's annual stockholders meeting in Cupertino today, Apple CEO Tim Cook revealed that Apple sold more than $1 billion worth of its Apple TV set-top box in 2013, putting sales at close to 10 million units for the year.
This is a roughly double the 5 million it sold in fiscal 2012
Update 11:21AM: Re/code's Peter Kafka says the $1 billion number includes content sales on the Apple TV box, including movie rentals and TV show purchases.

Apple is taking 30% Cut of all sales through their store.
AND! They don't actually create any content. Sony spends hundreds of millions to make their movies, games, music and any Sony branded content, and they probably make nowhere near 30% on content they didn't produce, but distribute digitally.

Also, Apple are in a very different stage in their life because millions of people are buying iPhones (for example) which make A LOT of money for Apple. Then there's people like me who spend god knows how much on a Macbook pro - I love it but when I think about the money I spent on it, I feel like crying.

Apple are at point where they don't really have to convince people to buy their stuff. Look at those kind of figures for something as redundant as Apple TV (in my opinion, and my opinion is right). Sony have not been like that since, what, the Walkman days maybe?

Last edited:
What are Apple doing that Sony isn't? With 80+ million PS devices accessing Sony's store, why aren't they making over a $billion pa. in content sales? I suppose it'd because Apple's content is transferable to iThings, even if consumers then only watch on Apple TV, whereas for Sony, something bought on PSN is basically only good for watching on a PS.

Well we don't know that is the case. You're assuming that much of the revenue is people buying movies, music and content from the iTunes Store which are owned and can be played on other Apple devices but chunks of the revenue could be in those Pay Per View content apps where content is locked and only available for a short period of time. Of course you may be right, but there's insufficient information to deconstruct why Apple are making hundreds of millions with a niche product a fraction of the size the PlayStation and Xbox install bases - hence my example of why revenue is meaningless as a measure of success.

Utterly ridiculous that Sony could fail to beat everyone else with regards the content platform despite being better positioned than everybody else to launch one!

Exactly, that's why I said that eastman's comment about Xbox should be something easier said Sony than Microsoft., but it isn't. The PlayStation should be a much bigger deal for Sony in terms of gateway to content produced by other parts of the company camper to Microsoft. That's why I don't understand the comment about Xbox being a synergetic part of a larger Microsoft strategy. I personally, do not see how it fits. How Xbox is relevant when you look at Microsoft's known profit centres.

In the US, the 360 has been a dominant device, which will draw a more casual crowd to its next version. And that crowd buys mostly around the holidays. That could partly explain what you see in Canada as well?

are you sure?
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2454402,00.asp

The billion dollar figure includes hardware sales of the $99 device, as well as content sold through the platform, like movies and TV shows, Re/Code reported, so it's hard to tell exactly how many Apple TV units the company has sold.

edit: so provided sales grew last year, its making more revenue on the tv boxes than the content, though I assume the content earns more profits

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/02/28/apple-tv-not-a-hobby/
During Apple's annual stockholders meeting in Cupertino today, Apple CEO Tim Cook revealed that Apple sold more than $1 billion worth of its Apple TV set-top box in 2013, putting sales at close to 10 million units for the year.
This is a roughly double the 5 million it sold in fiscal 2012
Update 11:21AM: Re/code's Peter Kafka says the $1 billion number includes content sales on the Apple TV box, including movie rentals and TV show purchases.

Well this is what I originally saw:

http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-ceo-cook-says-20m-apple-tv-units-sold/

Apple TV started off as a hobby for the company, but has become an increasingly important part of its product lineup, tying its other products more intimately to the television. It also has made Apple a decent penny once in the home -- Cook said it generated more than $1 billion in sales from content purchased directly from Apple TV.

"It didn't feel right referring to something that makes $1 billion as a hobby," he said.

However following that to the source, and I'm not as sure anymore.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/23/q2-2014-apple-earnings/

Q: Apple TV is no longer a hobby, why did you make that distinction. Interesting to hear your feedback on HBO/Amazon announcement today and what you think that means in terms of content partners being able to work with players like yourself.

A: Reason that I stripped off hobby label, when you look at sales of the Apple TV box itself, and the content that was bought directly off Apple TV, for 2013, that number was over $1 billion. It didn't feel right to me to refer to something that's over $1 billion as a hobby. From an investment point of view, we continue to make the product better and better so it doesn't feel right from that POV either. We have HBO Go already on Apple TV and you have to authenticate in order to use it, but you have to do that with Amazon's service as well from my brief read of their announcement. From that, they got some older content from HBO to put on there and I haven't had a chance to evaluate exactly what it is and don't have a personal POV of that. Look broadly, compares extremely favorable to the content that is on the Amazon box. Sold about 20 million Apple TVs and we have a pretty large installed base there. I'm feeling quite good about that business and where it can go

Could very well include the hardware in that figure, but it is OVER 1 Billion :) and the wording still leaves at least some room for that figure to be about the content alone. In any case it has grown very rapidly during the last two years.

The current PS4 promotion on Amazon.com is quite strong. 'Buy a PS4, get a free PS4 Camera, free Last of Us: Remastered, and free game choice from Destiny, NBA 2K15, Far Cry 4, or Little Big Planet 3.' if I am reading it right.

Apple is taking 30% Cut of all sales through their store.
And Sony doesn't? :confused: It sells all those games and movies on PlayStation Store and doesn't take a cut?

Well we don't know that is the case. You're assuming that much of the revenue is people buying movies, music and content from the iTunes Store which are owned and can be played on other Apple devices but chunks of the revenue could be in those Pay Per View content apps where content is locked and only available for a short period of time.
If the money comes from one-shot rentals, why isn't Sony (nor MS) making similar money? They rent films on their service to far more devices. So I have to assume that the revenue is coming from iThing synergy. Otherwise, Apple sells a TV box with rentals and makes loads of money off it while Sony and MS don't, which is a weird difference in behaviour between users, leading to questions of if Apple owners tend to spend more on content or something.

I can partially answer that for Sony on account of not using their video service because it's Shit and I literally can't use the movie store on my PS3 without phoning them to ask for permission, because I rented a movie once on another PS3 that died and now don't have permission to use Sony's service on any other devices. Inane policies like that mean I use every other service to Sony's, and they've only themselves to blame!

When they say "content purchases", what do they include in content? Movies, music, apps and games for their iphones and ipads?

What are Apple doing that Sony isn't? With 80+ million PS devices accessing Sony's store, why aren't they making over a $billion pa. in content sales? I suppose it'd because Apple's content is transferable to iThings, even if consumers then only watch on Apple TV, whereas for Sony, something bought on PSN is basically only good for watching on a PS. Utterly ridiculous that Sony could fail to beat everyone else with regards the content platform despite being better positioned than everybody else to launch one!

It's a tragedy. I remember in 2002 when all the hype started surrounding CELL and it's revolutionary design through scalability that was going to set the market on fire. CELL chips for [Sony] mobile phones, for [Sony] TVs, the next PlayStation, heck, why not in a Walkman. The company best suited for world domination, having a strong foothold in music [Sony music], movies [Columbia etc), entertainment [TVs, Hifi, walkmans, PlayStation]. Not many companies can trounce with being at the center of all things entertainment. Not only are they at the forefront as content creators and publishers (films, music and games), they also make the devices to consume them.

With all these trump cards and aces firmly within their reach, there's no other word than to say that they seriously fucked up. I think the biggest problem with Sony is that they are not acting as one central company, but as multiple entities that are more worried about their own little world than the big picture. So we end up with a seriously castrated media device; A PlayStation or TVs that can't even play widely excepted media files (because it might encourage piracy which would hurt Sony music and pictures) on their own. And while Sony (as others did too) continued to daydream, Apple, who did (and is) acting as a singular entity is taking over the world. One brand at the forefront of everything; From media consumption through AppleTV, tablets, ipods, iphones and computers. It's only a matter of time until they will start producing TVs too - possibly with inbuilt AppleTV. And people will buy them. Why? Because everything works as one and people trust the brand.

If this sounds like a Apple love post - it isn't. I don't even own a single Apple device - and yet, they are right on track. Sony seriously fucked up if you consider what potential they had. Just think about it; They had the perfect image, infrastructure and position to offer all the content - from their produced movies to music all through the devices they buid and sell from TVs to Hifis to PlayStations. If they had the product synergy Apple has going, it would have been one hell of a combo to beat and there are few other companies that were better equiped to pull it off. Alas, now in 2014, things are too late, even if they start doing it (which there are still no signs of): The PS4, sadly, still lacks any sophisticated features to offer even 1% of the content it could. Same goes for their TVs. What the hell are they doing?

Not as if I care anymore. I've moved on long ago, to something called XBMC - and I advice anyone to look at it. XBMC (now Kodi http://kodi.tv/about/) is what should be inside the PS4. And hand in hand with that, Sony should have their direct interface to the content they publish/create. What wasted potential.

The One Sony plan is taking shape. Slower than it should, but it's taking shape.

Breakdown of data collected by German price comparison website idealo.de shows clear victory of PS4 in that country. This is web trafic/demand, not sales.
http://www.gamefront.de/archiv12-20...-Deutschland-PS4-vs-Xbox-One---Idealo-de.html

It really is not even close. Over entire year PS4 has 88:12 demand lead over Xbone, and in this christmas console demand ratio 69:18:13 for PS4/WiiU/Xbone [it spiked to 6:1 lead for PS4 in one week]. For games clashing on PS4 and Xbone, it is even more skewed toward PS4 [except for DriveClub vs ForzaHorizon 2 but even there PS4 wins easily].

And Sony doesn't? :confused: It sells all those games and movies on PlayStation Store and doesn't take a cut?

Certainly a cut, but I've not seen any report on what their (or Microsoft's) percentage is. I recall reading a post here (perhaps by you) which broke down the average $60 retail disc cost and I don't recall the retail involvement being anywhere like 30%. Apple get away with it because they're Apple and plenty complain, including Amazon.

If the money comes from one-shot rentals, why isn't Sony (nor MS) making similar money? They rent films on their service to far more devices.
I was thinking more PPV apps like HBO, Sky, sporting events and so on, rather than content directly available from Apple/Sony/Microsoft acting in a traditional distributor/retailer role.

So I have to assume that the revenue is coming from iThing synergy. Otherwise, Apple sells a TV box with rentals and makes loads of money off it while Sony and MS don't, which is a weird difference in behaviour between users, leading to questions of if Apple owners tend to spend more on content or something.

This is it, I think. AppleTV isn't a big deal for Apple - 20m AppleTVs is nothing comapred to iPod of old or iPhones or iPad/Mac sales now. It's an icing on the cake solution, an easy way to get your content on the TV.

It's a tragedy. I remember in 2002 when all the hype started surrounding CELL and it's revolutionary design through scalability that was going to set the market on fire. CELL chips for [Sony] mobile phones, for [Sony] TVs, the next PlayStation, heck, why not in a Walkman. The company best suited for world domination, having a strong foothold in music [Sony music], movies [Columbia etc), entertainment [TVs, Hifi, walkmans, PlayStation]. Not many companies can trounce with being at the center of all things entertainment. Not only are they at the forefront as content creators and publishers (films, music and games), they also make the devices to consume them.

With all these trump cards and aces firmly within their reach, there's no other word than to say that they seriously fucked up. I think the biggest problem with Sony is that they are not acting as one central company, but as multiple entities that are more worried about their own little world than the big picture. So we end up with a seriously castrated media device; A PlayStation or TVs that can't even play widely excepted media files (because it might encourage piracy which would hurt Sony music and pictures) on their own. And while Sony (as others did too) continued to daydream, Apple, who did (and is) acting as a singular entity is taking over the world. One brand at the forefront of everything; From media consumption through AppleTV, tablets, ipods, iphones and computers. It's only a matter of time until they will start producing TVs too - possibly with inbuilt AppleTV. And people will buy them. Why? Because everything works as one and people trust the brand.

If this sounds like a Apple love post - it isn't. I don't even own a single Apple device - and yet, they are right on track. Sony seriously fucked up if you consider what potential they had. Just think about it; They had the perfect image, infrastructure and position to offer all the content - from their produced movies to music all through the devices they buid and sell from TVs to Hifis to PlayStations. If they had the product synergy Apple has going, it would have been one hell of a combo to beat and there are few other companies that were better equiped to pull it off. Alas, now in 2014, things are too late, even if they start doing it (which there are still no signs of): The PS4, sadly, still lacks any sophisticated features to offer even 1% of the content it could. Same goes for their TVs. What the hell are they doing?

Not as if I care anymore. I've moved on long ago, to something called XBMC - and I advice anyone to look at it. XBMC (now Kodi http://kodi.tv/about/) is what should be inside the PS4. And hand in hand with that, Sony should have their direct interface to the content they publish/create. What wasted potential.
The problem of Sony is they can't focus because they are into so many field at the same time. The interest of Sony Pictures and the interest of SCE or other electronic products aren't the same, worst sometimes interest of Sony Pictures are detrimental to SCE interest and vice versa.

Sony Pictures want to have the content on every media not only PLAYSTATION or Sony branded products...

Google or Apple have no interest at all in contents generation. They focus on software and cloud for Google and software, cloud and hardware for Apple...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back