All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is patently nonsense. Looking at Sony's Q1 2014 (quarter ending 30 June 2014) you see the following profit (loss):

Mobile Communications (MC) - ($2.2m)
Game & Network Services (G&NS) - $4.3m
Imaging Products & Solutions (IP&S) - $17.4m
Home Entertainment & Sound (HE&S) - $7.7m
Devices - $12.5m
Pictures - $7.8m
Music - $11.4m
Financial Services - $43.8m
All Other - ($18.4m)
Ignoring the losses, PlayStation is Sony's least profitable business. For now. But they're expecting it to reach PlayStation 2 heights.

I edited my response so it wouldn't be interpreted exactly as you did.. Look at the gaming division as a percentage of Sony's overall quarterly revenue and make the same comparison with Xbox. You're missing the point.. Xbox is a synergistic piece in an overall, integrated, strategic plan for Microsoft, the same case is much harder to make for PS and Sony. Sony needs those PS revenues, whereas Microsoft can withstand Xbox operating at a loss or break-even (like Windows Phone or surface) for the sake of the long-term strategy.

Comparing MS to Sony financials will only get you so far, Sony isn't going to go anywhere bc the government will prop them up if things go very bad. MS doesn't have the luxury of being a quasi state sponsored or supported entity. I don't see either bowing out of the games industry any time soon but for entirely different reasons.

Add also iOS devices if people don't change Bing to others.
Is that a US thing? Safari on my iPad defaults to Google. I also don't use Bing on Windows. I imagine no browser other the IE defaults to Bing, which seems to be about 15% of all-device browser use going by the Web.

Just because it gives me something to do and doesn't take a lot of time. The Amazon monthly weekend update.

01 - XBO: AC (unchanged)
38 - PS4 (up 2 spots)
56 - PS4: Destiny (down 3 spots)

So, base PS4 moves up a few, while PS4 bundle drops a few. 2 weeks into December, things are holding fairly steady from when the month started. I don't think XBO: AC bundle will maintain the top spot for the entire month, but who knows... I'm surprised it's held onto it that long.

Microsoft products drop to holding just 9 of the top 20 spots, with 4 of those held by X360. I think it'll drop just a tad more before it stabilizes for the month. Nintendo products hold another 6 spots (1 of those held by the Wii!) with Sony taking the other 5 spots.

PSN gift cards finally make it back into the top 20 at positions 17 (20 USD) and 20 (10 USD). Gift cards make great gifts for relatives to send to grandchildren as well as nieces and nephews. I expect those to move up the list as we get closer to Christmas.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Point being, all that money spent on PSN cards goes towards buying games on PSN, so no need to buy games from Amazon. Ergo lower disc sales than hardware, because digital distribution is actually a Thing now. Fer Realz.

True, but at the same time these card can be assumed to be distributed across the entire library, not evenly of course, but at the very least across the top 5 titles. Two of the three cards on the list are also needed to buy one single retail game. We have no way of knowing, perhaps the majority of those cards were used for COD and Destiny, and would have moved those PS4 games into the top 10, but if they used across the whole library, then the cards may in actuality only increase the top PS4 games position by a few spots.

In Canada the PS4 is still $449 versus the XB1 $399, and has been for the entire year, there was no price drop happening like in the US. Still, the XB1 got a big boost during xmas season (now #40 XB1, #20 PS4). The rest of the year, XB1 was being outsold by 4x PS4 SKUs above it, and even the Vita is currently outselling the XB1 for 2014.

Is price really the primary reason for the recent XB1 sales bump? I know it's intuitive and logical, but Canada seems to show there's something else.

I edited my response so it wouldn't be interpreted exactly as you did.. Look at the gaming division as a percentage of Sony's overall quarterly revenue and make the same comparison with Xbox.
Well you can't compare PlayStation revenue with Xbox because the figures for Xbox are rarely revealed, they are currently buried among consolidated figures covering Surface, Windows Phone and Android patent licensing and Xbox's figures have long been buried from sight. Even if you could determine revenue, this doesn't help you in the slightest. Knowing revenue alone doesn't help you determine whether a business is running at a profit or a loss, and how much buy. That's why profit (operating income) is there. It's pure profit/loss after all outgoings.

You're missing the point.. Xbox is a synergistic piece in an overall, integrated, strategic plan for Microsoft, the same case is much harder to make for PS and Sony. Sony needs those PS revenues, whereas Microsoft can withstand Xbox operating at a loss or break-even (like Windows Phone or surface) for the sake of the long-term strategy.

Actually it ought to be easier to make the case for Sony, the PlayStation is a media device and Sony is a huge media company owning music, game and movie studios. But it's not the case. Asking in all seriousness, why is Xbox any kind of significant piece on Microsoft's strategic plan? If they had pulled off the original vision and were infiltrating the living in a big way I could see it. Owning the device through which tens/hundreds of millions consumers entertainment is delivered would be a big deal. In April Apple announced they'd sold 20m AppleTV devices which had generated more than $1 billion in sales from content purchased directly from Apple TV. Their well publicised margin is 30% so that's a lot of money. Not bad for a line of business Apple call "a hobby".

But where Xbox is now, why does it matter to Microsoft's larger plans? I really am missing the point - I'm not being an arse, I'm just playing devil's advocate here.

In Canada the PS4 is still $449 versus the XB1 $399, and has been for the entire year, there was no price drop happening like in the US. Still, the XB1 got a big boost during xmas season (now #40 XB1, #20 PS4). The rest of the year, XB1 was being outsold by 4x PS4 SKUs above it, and even the Vita is currently outselling the XB1 for 2014.

Is price really the primary reason for the recent XB1 sales bump? I know it's intuitive and logical, but Canada seems to show there's something else.

It's not a sale maybe ? US came in with free games and a price drop, that may have spurred a _buy now_ type mentality that doesn't exist with two separate price points in Canada. But then again, it could just be that Amazon and Canada isn't nearly as grand as Amazon and US.

Well you had forza horizon 2 , mcc and sunset over drive. Those may have boosted the sales ?

You say "boost" but how big was the "boost"? Did it outsell the PS4 and if yes by how much?

That's strange, we even got some great deals in the UK so why wouldn't Canada?
PS4 went up in price by $50 and MS decided to leave the price alone because our dollar is worth much less (we are already on discount for Xbox in theory).

Our deals weren't terrible on BF, but it is possible that it wasn't until Black Friday that casual shoppers realized that the regular price of Xbox went down especially with the bundles.

Without some real numbers it'll be hard to know. I still think PS4 is selling better overall here, but that's just from walking in and asking for shops what they have stock of.

In April Apple announced they'd sold 20m AppleTV devices which had generated more than $1 billion in sales from content purchased directly from Apple TV.
What are Apple doing that Sony isn't? With 80+ million PS devices accessing Sony's store, why aren't they making over a $billion pa. in content sales? I suppose it'd because Apple's content is transferable to iThings, even if consumers then only watch on Apple TV, whereas for Sony, something bought on PSN is basically only good for watching on a PS. Utterly ridiculous that Sony could fail to beat everyone else with regards the content platform despite being better positioned than everybody else to launch one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back