All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like it's gonna be an easy win in the US for the Xbox One in November - unless the charts later in the month reverse (which I doubt). And damn, there's a lot of available bundles for the Xbox right now. They're completely saturating the market with really low prices and multiple bundles. Enough to please most gamer types.

Now... what about for countries outside of the US? Are we going to see similar offers?
I agree the XB1 is the favorite as of now. But a large chunk of sales happen on Black Friday, and Sony will definitely have some good bundles of their own. Curious if MS showed their cards early, or if they have something better planned for BF.

I think it will be a close month, but it could go either way, depending on what Sony has lined up. PS4 bundles with GTAV/LBP/DriveClub for 399 could be enough to secure another win for Sony. But there are too many variables and it's too early to call now IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
November and December will be for MS in the US. The question is how much the Xbox One will reduce the gap between the two console during holidays 100000 or 200000 or by 500000. Worldwide and in Europe Sony will win holidays...

Now... what about for countries outside of the US? Are we going to see similar offers?
Yes the xbone is essentially $100 cheaper than the ps4, So Im picking the xbone to sell more in nov & dec (if the deals last that long) but yes it seems to be USA only, I think its not even in canada (which was very strong for the 360) so it does look like MS want to buy some good NPD press no matter what the cost is, crazy when you think of it. Next financial quarter MS gaming vs sony gaming profits will be interesting :)
I see someone mentioned GTAV I google and its out in a couple of weeks, wheres the hype? Havent even really heard about it, the new COD Ive been hearing about heaps but no GTAV news?

Very impressive showing by MS on those Amazon charts. If they can keep these prices going until the next hardware shrink PS4 finally has some real competition. It might cost a billion to sustain that price but at least Xbone will gain a foothold in the States.

I agree the XB1 is the favorite as of now. But a large chunk of sales happen on Black Friday, and Sony will definitely have some good bundles of their own. Curious if MS showed their cards early, or if they have something better planned for BF.

I think it will be a close month, but it could go either way, depending on what Sony has lined up. PS4 bundles with GTAV/LBP/DriveClub for 399 could be enough to secure another win for Sony. But there are too many variables and it's too early to call now IMO.

Sony can't win in US with no new bundle I think SCEA don't succeed to secure something with GTA 5 in US because the release is very soon or maybe an announcement tomorrow... With a GTA 5 bundle the PS4 would have a chance now it is lost for November and December.

Yes the xbone is essentially $100 cheaper than the ps4, So Im picking the xbone to sell more in nov & dec (if the deals last that long) but yes it seems to be USA only, I think its not even in canada (which was very strong for the 360) so it does look like MS want to buy some good NPD press no matter what the cost is, crazy when you think of it. Next financial quarter MS gaming vs sony gaming profits will be interesting :)
I see someone mentioned GTAV I google and its out in a couple of weeks, wheres the hype? Havent even really heard about it, the new COD Ive been hearing about heaps but no GTAV news?

I heard by someone working in retail in France there will be no discount offer in France. Maybe it will be the same thing in Europe. Or MS will do something in UK... The Microsoft rep tells they will do something a 30 or 50 euros discount for holidays but it was cancelled.

https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?in_reply_to=529317148905451520

Maybe something about a GTA 5 deal tomorrow...

Sony can't win in US with no new bundle I think SCEA don't succeed to secure something with GTA 5 in US because the release is very soon or maybe an announcement tomorrow... With a GTA 5 bundle the PS4 would have a chance now it is lost for November and December.
Yeah, that's basically what I was saying. If Sony doesn't have any good bundles, then MS is the clear favorite to win November. But Sony should have some good bundles, at least for Black Friday. It all depends on what Sony (and MS) has planned. Again, too early to call right now.

Game ads usually start showing up ~a week before release, at least here in Canada.

As for hype, you haven't really heard much because it is just a remaster with some additional content. That won't stop it from selling a lot though.

Yeah, that's basically what I was saying. If Sony doesn't have any good bundles, then MS is the clear favorite to win November. But Sony should have some good bundles, at least for Black Friday. It all depends on what Sony (and MS) has planned. Again, too early to call right now.

Game ads usually start showing up ~a week before release, at least here in Canada.

As for hype, you haven't really heard much because it is just a remaster with some additional content. That won't stop it from selling a lot though.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=924541

Dell black friday bundle GTA V + TLOU for 399$

Very impressive showing by MS on those Amazon charts. If they can keep these prices going until the next hardware shrink PS4 finally has some real competition.
Shouldn't we wait to see if those charts are sustained? Whenever there's a new deal, there's a spike for those who were on the edge of buying getting that little extra 'push', but it has to be seen whether the interest level has dropped to a wider audience or not. XB1 is definitely going to sell better, but I think it's too early to try gauge patterns from this sampling. If XB1 is tracking similarly in a couple weeks, that'd show the interest was more than just a spike (although I haven't been keeping tabs on what bundles are doing what, so maybe some are trending upwards?).

XB1 sales (price cut boost) should substain momentum until mid-January. The real positive side, sales have picked up greatly at GameStop and Best Buy, when compared to other months. PS4 sales are still going strong, but not at the level during the Destiny buildup. But from what I gathered, Sony has October NPD safely under their belt.

Anyhow, I think Sony may have a few wildcard surprises for November and December. Not so much a price cut (isn't needed), but more so a great bundling deal.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=924541

Dell black friday bundle GTA V + TLOU for 399$
That's a good deal, but seems to be retailer specific (which usually means limited quantity). But those are the kind of bundles I'm expecting from most retailers on BF.

I still think Sony should announce and release an official GTA V bundle in NA like they are in EUR. A white GTA V bundle at $450 would sell well IMO. Then on BF, retailers could have their own bundles/promos.

Shouldn't we wait to see if those charts are sustained? Whenever there's a new deal, there's a spike for those who were on the edge of buying getting that little extra 'push', but it has to be seen whether the interest level has dropped to a wider audience or not. XB1 is definitely going to sell better, but I think it's too early to try gauge patterns from this sampling. If XB1 is tracking similarly in a couple weeks, that'd show the interest was more than just a spike (although I haven't been keeping tabs on what bundles are doing what, so maybe some are trending upwards?).
Just from my own sampling of other forums, there seems to be a genuinely marked increase in interest for XB because of this deal. Yes, it's only just begun but I think by crossing below that average effective retail price of $300 makes it finally begin to feel like a deal too good to pass up on. Sony's brand power is a bit stronger this time around so they can affect similar feelings at higher prices.

That's a given. The question is whether that interest remains at the current level or whether it's (markedly) lower. Will XBO remain in the top ten for much of November, or is it there for this week where a lot of people holding out jump in, but then it'll drop down? The sample period so far is too short to determine if the increase is a rise or a spike, so it shouldn't be used for forecasts other than to recognise there's an increase in immediate interest and sales which will point to better sales (although, possibly, sales could plummet for a weaker month overall, but we all know that's very unlikely given the patterns for these months).

That's a good deal, but seems to be retailer specific (which usually means limited quantity). But those are the kind of bundles I'm expecting from most retailers on BF.

I still think Sony should announce and release an official GTA V bundle in NA like they are in EUR. A white GTA V bundle at $450 would sell well IMO. Then on BF, retailers could have their own bundles/promos.

Typically BF by Sony and MS are across all major retailers. They are real bundles and not just stuff thrown together a the time of the purchase.

for example:

71lMTdRoFUL._SL1054_.jpg

That shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. COD isn't going anywhere. Especially when they execute well as they did with COD: BLOPs 2 and now COD: AW. Even when they completely botch things like COD: Ghosts, they still end up selling more than pretty much anything else on the market.

Of course, because of the bad execution with Ghosts, they absolutely had to execute well with COD: AW, or risk diminished sales. But with how well they've executed on COD: AW, I think it's safe to say no other game is going to come remotely close to competing with it this year, especially not an updated version of a game that most people have likely played already (GTA V). It should easily eclipse Destiny sales even with the headstart that Destiny had as well.

Combined with the price drop on XBO, it will likely also contribute significantly to increased sales of XBO for Nov. - Dec. due to timed exclusives on the platform.

The word of mouth and reviews for Sunset Overdrive are also likely to contribute to increased hardware sales for XBO. Not something I was originally expecting, but from watching Youtube, it appears Sunset Overdrive has caught a bunch of people by surprise at how good it is.

I'm not sure there's anything comparable on PS4 to drive greater than expected sales. PS4 sales are still going to be really good just because it's PS4, of course, but I'm not seeing anything that would give it a greater than expected hardware sales push.

I'm not sure all of that will be enough to guarantee that XBO hardware will move more units for November, but it gives it a pretty good chance.

[edit] Oh crap and in all of that I actually forgot about the Master Chief Collection. Hmmm. Yeah, XBO has a pretty darn good chance of moving more hardware in Nov.

Regards,
SB

I really noticed my friends list sticking with Destiny over CoD though. This could be interesting.

And yeah, I think Xbox has a good shot of beating PS4 this month, at the very least in the NPDs for November.

I really noticed my friends list sticking with Destiny over CoD though. This could be interesting.

And yeah, I think Xbox has a good shot of beating PS4 this month, at the very least in the NPDs for November.

I haven't turned on my console in a year now, so I couldn't say. But at least with people in my circle of friends and online community, almost everyone that was playing Destiny has virtually stopped playing it. The ones that still play it just log in to do their weekly checklist and then don't touch it again until the next week. That said it still offers a lot to anyone that hasn't played it yet.

Regards,
SB

Almost everyone of my friends still play Destiny. Only a handful have stopped playing. Of course some of them play CoD sometimes (and NBA 2K15), but not many have stopped.

I wouldn't put much stock in any person's individual friends list. We can already tell from responses here that there will be a diversity in the games played on each friends list. Blah.

MS is going all out this holiday season with the price cut, bundles, and exclusives. They should have a great shot at outselling Sony for November. Halo MCC is currently #5 on Amazon and the game should stay there at least until release or a few days later. The bundles are still charting nicely on Amazon as well. I'm impressed by the change I've seen in the company's approach to the XB1 and am glad to see them not be total douches this year. Their worldwide sales probably won't be as stellar as Sony's this month but should be better than past months by a good margin. The US was their dominant territory last gen so it makes sense to see them shore up as much of this market as possible. And yeah, Sunset Overdrive is fuuuun.

Sony could still end up taking November even after everything MS is doing to push sales. But of any month of the year that Sony could lose to MS in sales would be November and then December. It would help them tremendously if they have some decent deals and bundles for the holiday season. The value proposition for many buyers is higher in the holiday seasons, especially when shopping for others and right now XB1 has some great value. Or the company could do a price cut temporarily like MS is doing but don't see it as likely given how cash strapped they are. They could end up winning both November and December if the market tide towards Sony is too strong to stop at this point. GTA V is currently #6 on Amazon and a few weeks away from release. If it overtakes Halo MCC on Amazon before Halo launches that could be very telling. I'm looking forward to LBP3 but don't think the wider market is very much interested in that so hopefully the company has something up its sleeve for the holiday season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back