All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
well it seems to keep piling up , now the evolve alpha is screwed on the ps4 (pc and xbox one both work) So i wonder what the next hit will be. But your right it may be to quick for the tide to turn.

I think the order is the next big sony exclusive game and that comes out early next year , if it has a major problem like drive club that may be when people wake up and say hey wtf is happening here

well it seems to keep piling up , now the evolve alpha is screwed on the ps4 (pc and xbox one both work) So i wonder what the next hit will be. But your right it may be to quick for the tide to turn.

I think you're massively over-estimating the impact of these things. Remember the entire PSN went down for 24 days in 2011 and you know what happened? Nothing. Zip. And they had credit card details being leaked as well! There was nerd rage naturally, there always is, but the loudmouths on the internet are not the mass market. I think you're average person may be little disappointed but understands that sometimes things don't go according to plan.

Nothing else in technology is wholly reliable. Google has outages, Gmail has outages, Twitter has outages, XBL has outages, World of Warcraft has outages, Battlefield 4 was a nightmare for months. Unfortunately, it happens

I think the order is the next big sony exclusive game and that comes out early next year , if it has a major problem like drive club that may be when people wake up and say hey wtf is happening here

The Order isn't an online game. These issues are related to online services and only for specific games, whose server infrastructure is broken.

the real problem is even screw ups by sony like drive club and the constant psn black outs and the lack of exclusive titles in the holiday and price drops aren't helping MS

The drop to 349/bundle looks like it is, judging by Amazon (and supposedly Amazon has never been wrong predicting NPD! :LOL: ) the drop bundles have been outselling PS4 the past few days. We'll see if it keeps up throughout November.

Microsoft likes to go hard for Nov/Dec, maybe they'll pull out some crazy BF deals too to try to get a NPD month. I'm not sure the status of number leaks, but at least the winning platform holder should put out PR if they win so we should know.

Works is also relative, XOne sales have been better since 399/bundles. They were really bad early in the year. Not beating PS4 != failure (though I think many gamers and press see sales in binary terms like that).

It's too early for those failures to filter down into action.

I would suggest people do not care too much. The PS4's combo of power and a sleek design trumps some vague, may never happen worry. People only make a purchase decision once, and they likely dont have hands on experience with either console when they do.

ps2's previous year was 4.1 thus 85.2 minimum if you think the ps2's last year was as good as its previous year, which is unlike all other consoles so I'ld guess between 86-87 for the probable range

But it was PS2's last year, so they may have shipped a last ton.

You either have to say PS3 shipments increased YoY despite all recorded PS3 sales that year (NPD, Media Create) being down ~25% YoY as you'd expect in a winding down generation, or PS2 increased. Pick your poison. I would say the former is almost impossible...at least the latter has a plausible explanation. And you also have that MS announced hitting 80 million in late 2013 a month before Sony announced it for PS3.

So you're saying the ps3 decreased cause the generation is winding down, but the ps2 increased cause the generation wound down, ah OK :)
From what I see the ps3 was and is still selling good in europe in 2013, remember these are some of the huge titles released that year (some of the biggest titles of the whole generation), plus a lot of other big titles, in fact I've read 2013 was the ps3's strongest year for software launches
the last of US
grand tourismo 6
GTAV

Maybe they don't want to negatively affect their current gen sales. Lowering the price might do that. And they might be satisfied with how the last gen systems are selling.

But it was PS2's last year, so they may have shipped a last ton.

You either have to say PS3 shipments increased YoY despite all recorded PS3 sales that year (NPD, Media Create) being down ~25% YoY as you'd expect in a winding down generation, or PS2 increased. Pick your poison. I would say the former is almost impossible...at least the latter has a plausible explanation. And you also have that MS announced hitting 80 million in late 2013 a month before Sony announced it for PS3.

How big of a market is Europe for PS3 versus US? Media Create and NPD don't provide any data on a market that was arguably responsible making a bigger install base a debate rather than an emotional plea. And at the end of the day the fact remains the PS3 sold at a faster rate so your point about YOY increase is in fact more plausible than you seem to be suggesting.

Is this chart data by Sales Amount(money) or Sales Item Quantity? What do Others 13% platform stand for, is it basically a tablet+smartphone games?

Software unit sales and how they breakdown percentage wise across platforms. Others, more than likely covers iOS/Android gaming and older defunct system titles (the Walmart / Meijers big blue bin specials, full of classic PS1, PS2, etc... titles).

I would suggest people do not care too much. The PS4's combo of power and a sleek design trumps some vague, may never happen worry. People only make a purchase decision once, and they likely dont have hands on experience with either console when they do.

Last gen (apprently) XBL>>>PSN yet in all bar 2 regions (ok, the biggest 2, US & UK - but still) PS3 outsold X360. As you say (and I said last gen) online features are not as important as people think - they are becoming more important for sure but not a deal-breaker IMHO.

The Amazon turnaround for X1 since the price drop bundles has been remarkable. Currently:

#5 XBO Sunset Overdrive bundle
#9 XBO AC bundle
#11 XBO COD bundle
#23 PS4
#26 XBO
#39 XBO AC bundle with Kinect
#54 PS4 destiny bundle

So that's 3, almost 4 XBO SKU's selling better than the top PS4, currently.

This will be fluid, the Sunset Overdrive bundle is already sold out again so it will plummet. The COD bundle probably as well with the release of the game.

Curious to how long this lasts. It is a tad odd, 50 bucks doesn't seem enough to trigger it. Maybe there's a little something to a lot of 360 owners waiting to upgrade.

For games, I would say Lords of The fallen did not do well, and COD AW did not even take the #1 spot either if it means anything. For me the standout recent hit is still Shadow of Mordor.

Curious to how long this lasts. It is a tad odd, 50 bucks doesn't seem enough to trigger it. Maybe there's a little something to a lot of 360 owners waiting to upgrade.
That's a given. There are ~80 million XB360 owners out there. Unless they've abandoned gaming, they'll be looking to replace their machines eventually with better ones, whether PC, PS4, Wii U, XB1, or something else. Of those ~80 million 360 owners, I expect more than 10 million are interested in the XB1, so unless MS have saturated their market already :)shock:), there are more 360 owners waiting for the right price/games/value offering to upgrade. This is true of PS4 as well - there are going to be PS3 owners wanting to replace their machine who haven't done so yet, and will do so when the alternative hits the right price/games/value proposition.

The Amazon turnaround for X1 since the price drop bundles has been remarkable. Currently:

#9 XBO AC bundle
#11 XBO COD bundle
#23 PS4
#26 XBO
#54 PS4 destiny bundle

This will be fluid, the Sunset Overdrive bundle is already sold out again so it will plummet. The COD bundle probably as well with the release of the game.

For games, I would say Lords of The fallen did not do well, and COD AW did not even take the #1 spot either if it means anything. For me the standout recent hit is still Shadow of Mordor.

Its more than $50 dollars. There is a $100 difference between the PS4 Destiny bundle and the XB1 with game bundles. Thats an extra controller or game, and a couple of accessories.

Plus its newer titles being packed in on the XB1 side.

It is a tad odd you miss something obvious like a pack-in game worth $60 too. With the AC bundle it is two games.

#9 XBO AC bundle
#11 XBO COD bundle
#23 PS4
#26 XBO
#54 PS4 destiny bundle

Looks like it's gonna be an easy win in the US for the Xbox One in November - unless the charts later in the month reverse (which I doubt). And damn, there's a lot of available bundles for the Xbox right now. They're completely saturating the market with really low prices and multiple bundles. Enough to please most gamer types.

Now... what about for countries outside of the US? Are we going to see similar offers?

Ya, should be easy for Nov-Dec for MS. They are essentially buying the months via a firesale, forgoing any margin and probably some loss. Sony would not even give away Destiny in their bundle, just $10 off.

Looks like it's gonna be an easy win in the US for the Xbox One in November - unless the charts later in the month reverse (which I doubt).
You're calling November based on the status of Amazon charts on 3rd of November?

Ok. I'll take that bet.

You're calling November based on the status of Amazon charts on 3rd of November?

Ok. I'll take that bet.
Yeah, maybe it's a bit prem (story of my frigging life), but why not, I'll call Nov as an Xbox win in the US.

Don't forget the GTA effect (bigger PS fanbase), but then MS have MCC too...certainly in the US MS seem to be improving and would likely win November as things stand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back