All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the 190k for Hyrule Warriors was not just for September, but LTD. I could be wrong, but when Nintendo released their PR statement it didn't sound like the sales number was just for September. Still a good opening for a Warriors game in the US. Tecmo Koei was hoping for a million seller with Hyrule Warriors, but I have a feeling that they were expecting a much better opening in Japan. The Warrior games have traditionally sold much better in Japan than in the US, but it looks like the Zelda theme skewed things in favor of the West.

Same reason people get mocked for the car they own, or the sports team they support, or the clothes they wear - people are dumb. ;)

Egocentric is more descriptive. Speaking of that, its an absolute crime that Bayonetta 2 (the BEST action game of this generation) sold that poorly in Japan. I hope it does better in the west.

Egocentric is more descriptive. Speaking of that, its an absolute crime that Bayonetta 2 (the BEST action game of this generation) sold that poorly in Japan. I hope it does better in the west.

Well it was always going to be a strange decision to let Nintendo pay for the sequel, as the WiiU wouldn't strike me as the platform on which this type of game would sell a lot. The devs were evidently pretty desperate.

Well it was always going to be a strange decision to let Nintendo pay for the sequel, as the WiiU wouldn't strike me as the platform on which this type of game would sell a lot. The devs were evidently pretty desperate.

Without Nintendo, the game wouldn't exist. If your a fan of Bayonetta, then you should be thanking Nintendo for even having the option of playing Bayonetta 2. People act like Platinum is screwing them because they would have to buy a Wii U to play Bayonetta 2, but the truth is, no other Publisher stepped up to fund the game, and if they had, Bayonetta 2 would have likely been a multi platform game if Sega, Activision, Ubisoft or EA had stepped up. So again, if your a Bayonetta fan, you owe Nintendo thanks for Bayonetta 2, without Nintendo there would be no Bayonetta 2.

Without Nintendo, the game wouldn't exist. If your a fan of Bayonetta, then you should be thanking Nintendo for even having the option of playing Bayonetta 2. People act like Platinum is screwing them because they would have to buy a Wii U to play Bayonetta 2, but the truth is, no other Publisher stepped up to fund the game, and if they had, Bayonetta 2 would have likely been a multi platform game if Sega, Activision, Ubisoft or EA had stepped up. So again, if your a Bayonetta fan, you owe Nintendo thanks for Bayonetta 2, without Nintendo there would be no Bayonetta 2.

That's a very reasonable and well thought out response. However, I'm hesitant to mention this as I don't want to revisit the discussion in this thread, but ... That's the diametrically opposed reaction to the next version of Tomb Raider and Microsoft. Just saying.

That's a very reasonable and well thought out response. However, I'm hesitant to mention this as I don't want to revisit the discussion in this thread, but ... That's the diametrically opposed reaction to the next version of Tomb Raider and Microsoft. Just saying.

Tomb Raider is a bit different, seeing as how Microsoft is only paying them for timed exclusivity, they are not flipping the bill for the games development. Tomb Raider would have likely still been developed. Its not like the previous game didn't sell pretty well. Not that I care about the Tomb Raider situation, but I don't see it as being in the same predicament Platinum was in with Bayonetta 2. Even as a Nintendo guy, I wouldn't argue that Bayonetta 2would sell better on the other platforms, but was never a choice for Platinum.

Same reason people get mocked for the car they own, or the sports team they support, or the clothes they wear - people are dumb. ;)

For the most the part, Sony, MS, Nintendo and some major gaming media sites, have fostered this behavior. This isn't nothing new. Before the Internet became the "internet", or the focal point of social media... gaming magazines (EGM, Next Generation, etc..), had sections dedicated to trash talking between camps.

Honestly, it's somewhat healthly "at times" to have these battles... it keeps the companies involved on their toes (better games, pushing their hardware - more), and trying to secure their userbase. The negative side of course, are the personal attacks on board members, staff, developers and whoever else is involved.

Anyhow, I think today's gamers - this generation - are more vocal on certain subjects. I think things will settle a little bit more, once the PS4 warriors become more humbler, XB1 warriors come to the understanding there is no secret sauce, Wii U warriors stop pretending nothing is wrong with Nintendo's relationships with developers, and lastly, PC gamers (me included) just need to STFU about being the master gaming race. Ok, we are... :p

/back OT

CoD is on a downward trend (I guess people are finally sick of the formula?) but I think it will sell well enough for the near future.. But I dont know if even the 3 team (2 year dev time) will keep the ship floating for much longer. Still, I believe Activision knows the gravy train wouldn't last forever so Destiny and perhaps other unannounced FPSs will be thrown at the wall to see what becomes the annual cash cow for them.

What made COD such a monster wasn't just it's first 1-3 months worth of sales, but it's 12 month sales where it almost always stayed in the top 10 and usually top 5 software sales every month for a year.

It wasn't even uncommon for certain COD titles to stay in the top 10 NPD for well over a year (2x COD titles in the top 10).

Once Destiny accomplishes that (I have my doubts) then Activision might actually have a replacement for COD.

Destiny

Edit. HW

Edit. Lol wait, that can't be HW... I'm going to bed! :D

Again interesting to note that Sony - ~825k of Destiny stand alone sales, Microsoft - ~1.45 million Destiny stand alone sales with another ~300k for Sony from PS4 bundles.

So, Destiny racked up ~1.13 million sales for Sony while it racked up ~1.45 million sales for Microsoft. Even counting the freebie that at most can only account for 285k Destiny sales and only if 100% of Xbox buyer bought their Xbox in that 1 week and all chose Destiny. Highly unlikely. If I were to take a guess, I'd say free Destiny accounted for somewhere between 50k-100k of those units (1 week period, other XBO bundles available, other games available, not everyone wants Destiny).

So, while next gen is certainly a concern for them (still healthy but well behind the competition), it's certainly not panic time for them. What they need to figure out is how to get those X360 users who still haven't upgraded to upgrade. That's fairly significant. As existing X360 owners bought 32% of all Destiny titles sold while existing PS3 owners only bought 1% of all Destiny titles. Those people are going to be the most important going forward as they represent potential holdovers from the previous generation that are most likely to buy games.

So in short. Cash flow is still better for MS in the US than it is for Sony. But that isn't going to last for long unless they get more current X360 game buyers to upgrade to the XBO. And it is questionable whether they'll be able to do that.

Tomb Raider is a bit different, seeing as how Microsoft is only paying them for timed exclusivity, they are not flipping the bill for the games development. Tomb Raider would have likely still been developed. Its not like the previous game didn't sell pretty well. Not that I care about the Tomb Raider situation, but I don't see it as being in the same predicament Platinum was in with Bayonetta 2. Even as a Nintendo guy, I wouldn't argue that Bayonetta 2would sell better on the other platforms, but was never a choice for Platinum.

The wording from both the developers of Tomb Raider as well as Microsoft very strongly hint at Microsoft having kicked in a large percentage of the developement budget for Tomb Raider. It is highly unlikely it would have finished developement if MS hadn't stepped in. And if it had, it would likely have been much shorter and much less polished. Square Enix has had to funnel most of it's development funds to traditional Japanese market games which has lead to significant delays if not cancellations of Western software products (Deus Ex for example, and Tomb Raider if not for MS stepping in).

Regards,
SB

Again interesting to note that Sony - ~825k of Destiny stand alone sales, Microsoft - ~1.45 million Destiny stand alone sales with another ~300k for Sony from PS4 bundles.

So, Destiny racked up ~1.13 million sales for Sony while it racked up ~1.45 million sales for Microsoft. Even counting the freebie that at most can only account for 285k Destiny sales and only if 100% of Xbox buyer bought their Xbox in that 1 week and all chose Destiny. Highly unlikely. If I were to take a guess, I'd say free Destiny accounted for somewhere between 50k-100k of those units (1 week period, other XBO bundles available, other games available, not everyone wants Destiny).
SB

Yes the XBOX family racked up the most for MS stateside. Next generation wise, PS4 gained the most stateside and worldwide as well.

Originally Posted by creamsugar
Sorry for being away for awhile.

D without bundle:
1 ~ 35%
4 ~ 32%
360 ~ 23%
3 ~10%

Total: > 2.5M

PS4 bundle ~ 300k

Special Edition
Originally Posted by creamsugar

SoM: 4 ~ 59%, 1 ~ 41%, total < 350 k

Regular Edition
ps4 - 1.1m (including bundle)
xb1 - 875,000
360 - 575,000
ps3 - 250,000

What's really amazing is that all "EA Sport" titles, had more sales on the PS4. I'm guessing the bros/bruhs are coming over to PS4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Opposite reaction to an opposite situation isn't surprising.

Both match my views about exclusives which I posted in the correct thread:
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1866766&postcount=152

What's really amazing is that all "EA Sport" titles, had more sales on the PS4. I'm guessing the bros/bruhs are coming over to PS4.

I dont think this is amazing or has been for many months. Everything should be expected to sell better on PS4 and it's only surprising when it doesn't. After all it has nearly a 1 million hardware lead now.

PS4 is the new 360 in a sense. The base platform.

I do note how much better Destiny sold on 360 vs PS3 (23% vs 9%). People seem to have abandoned PS3 much quicker in general and worldwide. Maybe there's a glimmer of hope for MS in there that PS3 owners upgraded to PS4 while 360 owners are hanging back more, but I really doubt it, I dont expect changes in the current hardware sales based on that factor.

BTW I think they are messing around at GAF talking about quoting the numbers in email tags so only members can see in the future (I'm not a member). So the little, inaccurate/estimated, numbers we get will be obfuscated further. Really barely worth it at this point, screw NPD. At least we will still get quarterly shipments numbers.

On Neogaf somebody mentioned they dont think $349 would help the One that much in sales, that only $299 will make a psychological impact. I have to agree there. $349 would help, but I am not sure it would push One to sales parity with PS4.

I may be the only one saying this as well, but I still think size of the machine plays a part. For some reason the One is just too big, the PS4 was a more attractive proposition from the start, not just for it's power but for it's svelte build, and the total package/image.

I've been saying it for a long time, but if I was MS I'd be shooting for a much smaller form factor ASAP, like within a year not years plural, and in an ideal world get that out at $299.

At MS they have to be pretty befuddled. I just hope someone there is smart enough to realize the One's lack of power is a huge reason they're having such troubles, so that it doesn't happen again. I have to assume even MS dumb brain trust must be making the connection.

I dont think this is amazing or has been for many months. Everything should be expected to sell better on PS4 and it's only surprising when it doesn't. After all it has nearly a 1 million hardware lead now.

PS4 is the new 360 in a sense. The base platform.

I do note how much better Destiny sold on 360 vs PS3 (23% vs 9%). People seem to have abandoned PS3 much quicker in general and worldwide. Maybe there's a glimmer of hope for MS in there that PS3 owners upgraded to PS4 while 360 owners are hanging back more, but I really doubt it, I dont expect changes in the current hardware sales based on that factor.
It's hardly surprising that people are abandoning the PS3 -one of the last ports, Alien Isolation, can attest to the fact that it was a quite difficult machine to work with, the game looks really bad.

Talking of the Xbox 360, this is good news -not to good for the Wii-..., because the Xbox 360 is only a few units behind the original Wii in sales (USA) now.

Wii 41.84M
Xbox 360 41.72M

On Neogaf somebody mentioned they dont think $349 would help the One that much in sales, that only $299 will make a psychological impact. I have to agree there. $349 would help, but I am not sure it would push One to sales parity with PS4.
true, Ive said here it needs to be 350vs400 but now I change my mind.
$400 ps4 vs $350xbone is a win for ps4, OTOH
$400 ps4 vs $300xbone is pretty even
still a lose WRT cash, but hey NPD is all the matters right, boys?
seriously MS done right getting rif of kinect, but theyre still playing it bad. $400 + $60 game = prolly $360 cost for MS, they should just go yeah we aint selling, much but we are not gonna put free games in but just sell the thing cheap eg $300 or $350 ok PR is bad for cutting price early but better to have sales than not

I guess on GAF Aquamarine took a 3 month "self imposed" ban, something about posters not handling the NPD tidbits she gives out to her liking (waah, waah) and they say creamsugar lost his NPD source (which seems kinda fishy, my guess is he's lying so he can stop giving numbers).

I'm happy, if all the leakers are gonna act like whiny babies (*cough* aquamarine *cough*), then oh well. Lets have no numbers at all.

Looks like NPD days are over.

Although I'll still believe it when I see no leaks next month.

I guess on GAF Aquamarine took a 3 month "self imposed" ban, something about posters not handling the NPD tidbits she gives out to her liking (waah, waah) and they say creamsugar lost his NPD source (which seems kinda fishy, my guess is he's lying so he can stop giving numbers).

I'm happy, if all the leakers are gonna act like whiny babies (*cough* aquamarine *cough*), then oh well. Lets have no numbers at all.

Looks like NPD days are over.

Although I'll still believe it when I see no leaks next month.

No. Certain companies don't want certain numbers/sales divulged for a whole host of reasons... bad PR and curtailing investors worries being the top ones. So, when these leaks are unfavorable for a certain company, especially month after month... it's usually time for the leaker to lay low. Especially avoiding the usual harassing legal notices.

Anyhow, the only ones that are upset, are the typical console warriors not amused by the month-to-month pounding or believing in Pachter's BS.

I think it is NPD mainly. They want you to pay, so if the data leaks, even just a few top line items, they believe they lose potential money.

There's been some pressure from corporations I think, probably Sony was responsible a few years ago when NPD stopped giving hardware numbers.

It's really sad/annoying to me, the trend everywhere is less and less sales data and numbers released to the public. The same trend has been going on in Europe. It's getting ridiculous, where there's almost no numbers released anymore. I suppose this will only get worse as digital grows, by the nature of digital.

There has to be an anonymous way for a known reliable leaker to get the (a few) numbers out...Tor to pastebin or something? The next problem becomes verifying real leaks from fake. GAF insiders could help there though, but this is just thoughts.

Well I guess Japan continues on with Media Create...

It's kinda unfair the MS guys got NPD for years of Xbox winning, and now that Sony is winning NPD cuts off. :LOL: Although the way relentless trolls on GAF behave in NPD threads, I guess I wont cry too hard.

Anyways if Aquamarine/etc had received no contact/pressure from NPD, I blame her/them. She just got an increasing attitude. If you dont want to do something, dont do it, and go away. Dont drama queen it. I also feel like she really enjoyed her position of number giver and the attention. I felt like she wasn't happy when that NPD leak website surfaced, and may have even turned them in. SHE wants to be the focal point of NPD. But anyways, I guess this isn't the GAF poster discussion thread, just my feelings on the matter.

Aqua was mad because too many people were just asking her the numbers, where she felt it should only be in discussion about other things. Like not "how much did Wii U sell?" but "given Wii U sold xyz, what can Nintendo do to turn it around?".

Asking a forum of thousands to abide by such rules and expecting it when we all know what they really want (numbers) is just silly.

There's been some pressure from corporations I think, probably Sony was responsible a few years ago when NPD stopped giving hardware numbers.
your evidence for this then was what?
and your evidence that sony wants to stop the leaks now is what?

Well at least will will still have Microsoft PR to tell us how things went
heres their only PR about september NPD numbers
"We believe this will be one of our biggest holiday seasons ever. We’re offering great Xbox One bundles aligned with the most anticipated game launches of the year, including ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity,’ ‘Sunset Overdrive’ and ‘Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare,’ and incredible deals for fans. Combined with blockbusters like ‘Halo: The Master Chief Collection,’ ‘Grand Theft Auto 5,’ ‘Destiny’ and ‘Forza Horizon 2,’ we are committed to making Xbox One a great place to play this holiday."
way to go, party

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back