All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
‏@geoffkeighley - Xbox on May sales: "Xbox One is off to the hottest start in Xbox history....We look forward to the next chapter of the new generation."

lol.

The great thing about that type of spin is the Xbox One could sell zero units every month all summer and they could keep using it. Of course, eventually they will run out of runway. That will be interesting day since the math has already stopped working on the "Xbox Family*" and "Cumulative Next Gen Software" fronts.

Xbox sales are lower than normal because people are holding out for the June $399 system.

There will probably also be a spike in sales in June from of all those people holding out from buying in May.

It will be interesting to see how things turn out in July and onwards after the post $399 sales spike dust settles.

June NPD numbers will be interesting since we have price parity of the systems.

MS really needed a title for june to go hand in hand with the price cut, sadly it doesn't have anything. Of course it does have the better exclusive line up this fall so we will see what happens

This is not your typical price cut. They are hacking off the very thing that was supposed to be central to every X1. Their branding is really fucked up atm (I am sure I dont have to explain why), it will take some time to build it back up.

MS said a lot of things starting in June of 2013 that were just off. If you go back and revisit the XB1 PS4 discussions from last year many of us said the XB1 was too expensive, the paywall was wrong and that Kinect wasn't showing why it was needed especially when your consider that your paying a premium for platform that is compromised in terms of graphics power for its inclusion.

I think even the DRM policy was secondary to many gamers who felt they were being fleeced by paying more and getting weaker graphics hardware, add the paywall and all the silly PR spin on how the cloud would make up the gap or simply denying the difference in the hardware. In aggregate all of it made MS appear to be this big greedy duplicitous corporation in the eyes of many. Albert's comments at times looked like someone from Saturday Night Live was writing them.

That said this E3 shows MS is making steps in the right direction, they seem to understand now that a game console needs to be good at games first. And not just any type of games - core games, the type which justifies buying a $400.00 machine in the first place.

We actually debated for days the value proposition of spending 500 to talk to your tv to change channels and adjust volume.... Or how Kinect was the only way to innovate gaming...

Kinect isn't going to save gaming, expand the appeal of console gaming materially and honestly it never was. The 360 was 'balanced' in the sense that at the time it offered great visuals, arguably the best services and was the best conduit for the content with the broadest appeal (third parties plus Halo). MS can get much of that back and appear to be on that path now. What they can't do with graphics they can mitigate with DLC coming first to XB1 for example.

I'd say the XB1 demand is not as bad as the NPD figures suggest and on balance it was a good decision to get the price cut ahead of E3. Perhaps its curious that they didn't have the 399 SKU available sooner to boost numbers coming into E3 but on balance its acceptable.

Does anyone have rough guesstimates for WW install base for XB1 and PS4?

Even at 399 consumers will reject x1 in favor of PS4 due to the fact that at this time there is little to differentiate either console other than PS4 is significantly more powerful than X1

MS needs to be at 299 or secure a bunch of big exclusives or buy a developer that owns desirable IP.

I have to agree with what someone said earlier; this is mostly due to people waiting to for the Kinectless bundle in June. How else can we explain this anomaly? Other months don't show such a large sales discrepancy.

June NPD numbers will be interesting since we have price parity of the systems.

MS really needed a title for june to go hand in hand with the price cut, sadly it doesn't have anything. Of course it does have the better exclusive line up this fall so we will see what happens

Neither exclusive lineup for the fall is particuarly great.

Sunset Overdrive looks like a niche title, one that would be unlikely to garner as much attention if it wasn't exclusive (doesn't strike me as having broad appeal). Halo Collection will sell to XBO owners looking for something to play, but won't entice 360 or PS3 owners that haven't upgraded to pay the asking price for an XBO. Fable Legends will likely bomb. Likewise Driveclub will probably do a million or two but won't be a system seller. And TLOU HD won't drive system sales either.

If anything I would think that the muti-platform games will be much bigger drivers of sales on both platforms.

Destiny, COD:AW, AC:U and Battlefield Hardline will drive PS4s. COD:AW will drive XBO's and then all the other big titles like Alien: Isolation, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Evolve and the Mordor:Assassin's Creed Edition game will likely be evenly split between PS4 and XBO (more than likely skewing PS4, but moreso due to higher installed base than new console owners).

Destiny, COD:AW, AC:U and Battlefield Hardline will drive PS4s. COD:AW will drive XBO's
We cant count on that, MS holiday promotions for COD and ACU will be strong.

and then all the other big titles like Alien: Isolation, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Evolve and the Mordor:Assassin's Creed Edition game will likely be evenly split between PS4 and XBO (more than likely skewing PS4, but moreso due to higher installed base than new console owners).

Yeah, Wolfenstein had the same splits. Just pointed little toward the larger install bases.
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=116932355

Neither exclusive lineup for the fall is particuarly great.

Sunset Overdrive looks like a niche title, one that would be unlikely to garner as much attention if it wasn't exclusive (doesn't strike me as having broad appeal). Halo Collection will sell to XBO owners looking for something to play, but won't entice 360 or PS3 owners that haven't upgraded to pay the asking price for an XBO. Fable Legends will likely bomb. Likewise Driveclub will probably do a million or two but won't be a system seller. And TLOU HD won't drive system sales either.

If anything I would think that the muti-platform games will be much bigger drivers of sales on both platforms.

Destiny, COD:AW, AC:U and Battlefield Hardline will drive PS4s. COD:AW will drive XBO's and then all the other big titles like Alien: Isolation, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Evolve and the Mordor:Assassin's Creed Edition game will likely be evenly split between PS4 and XBO (more than likely skewing PS4, but moreso due to higher installed base than new console owners).

Forza Horizon is late sept which runs into sunset over drive in what late oct which is quirky and different enough from the other stuff that hits on all the platforms later in the year which runs into Halo collection in early nov.

That's a pretty great fall line up of exclusives.

Then you follow that up with exclusive AC content and COD content first and its pretty damn good.

I think your right that Destiny will be a bigger push for sony than ms , it has exclusive content but to be perfectly frank it doesn't look very interesting. But i'm not sure it matters for battlefield , I think that one will be more evenly split.

The other stuff you listed , I don't believe will be system sellers and they will all be on both systems.

I also think MS will have bundled games heading into the fall. They have a few things from earlier in the year that would make great ones. You have dead rising 3 , forza , titan fall and ryse that they can throw into different bundles.

And if MS is still trailing in sales by a large margin in 2015 , i'm sure they will be more aggressive with the price.

But I really think Halo will blow the doors off the barn. Its an amazing value at $60 bucks and I can see it pushing a lot of people towards the xbox .

About 600k units ahead according to my calculation, and getting wider every month.

ps4 - 3.3 million
x1 - 2.7 million

The way people talk you'd think it's 100-1 or something...

Also just as a note you can guesstimate worldwide sales from USA sales. PS4 is probably selling 400k-500k/month WW based on 200k US sales, X1, well, maybe just ~100k-150k based on ~80K US sales. So could be ~3-1 worldwide for PS4 as has been recent months likely ratio.

I guess this is GAF's final rundown

For a new page

Updated with even MORE accurate hardware numbers

-----------------------------
Hardware Monthly Sales
PS4 ~ 197k
3DS ~ 97k
XB1 ~ 77k
Wii U ~ 61k
360 ~ 57k
PSV ~ 56k
PS3 ~ 36k
Wii ~ 11k
Mario Kart 8 ~ 377k, 6.6% from bundles
Watch Dogs Sales Breakdown

PS4 ~ 46%
XB1 ~ 29%
360 ~ 14%
PS3 ~ 11%

Total > 1.25M
Minecraft PS3 89k
Wolfenstein New Order

PS4 ~ 41%
XB1 ~ 38%
360 ~ 13%
PS3 ~ 8%
BL2 Vita Standalone ~27k
LTD's

DKC: Tropical Freeze [WiU] 258k
Lightening Returns FF [PS3] 135k [360] 71k
PVZ: Garden Warfare [XB1] 257k [360] 150k
FF10HD [PS3] 259k
South Park SoT [360] 279k [PS3] 228k
Titanfall [XB1] 969k [360] 559k
Dark Souls 2 [360] 212k [PS3] 209k
Infamous SS [PS4] 617k
MGSV: Ground Zeroes [Total] 357k [PS4] >179k

Bravely Default [3DS] ~258k
Yoshi's New Island [3DS] ~256k
Kirby Triple Deluxe [3DS] ~138k
FF10HD [Vita] ~75k

For the numbers...

Not sure what people were expecting we knew XB1 would be bad this month. Heck many thought Wii U would beat it due to MK8 and of course the annpouncement of the 399 SKU. Which it didn't.

Wii U number is pretty bad, but I kind of expected it. Wii U had a lot of hype if you will after E3, but you sort of knew the sales numbers would bring the hype crashing back to earth.

PS4 numbers held, at least they didn't drop again so maybe that's a baseline... overall the hardware was all pretty bad except for PS4 which is "ok".

Now we wait for June...big month for X1's future imo. Depending on the sales, of course. A lot of people will proclaim XBox doom based on May but we really need to see June.

If it does 250K+ and is at least highly competitive with PS4 (remember June is 5 weeks), they can breathe a little.

If it does some terrible number in June, welp...I think then they're going to have to realize that in the long term they'll have to bite the bullet and start getting the price well below PS4, $349/$299 territory.

ps4 - 3.3 million
x1 - 2.7 million

The way people talk you'd think it's 100-1 or something...
Yep. In the US XB1 is a stable platform like any before. Worldwide though, without clear figures, it's easy for people to speculate a far wider gap, which one would expect to snowball. I think that's the real source for a concern. Also you're factoring in launch numbers there which include loyal fans. If PS4 is outselling XB1 2:1 (no idea what the average is over past months), triple that for RoW and you get a 6:1 ratio.

As you say, a lot rides on June's numbers to get a clear picture of XB1's potential. Actually, it'll be July's figure that makes most sense, because June will be an anomalous spike. We need a few months later to see what general consumer demand is at $400.

Yep. In the US XB1 is a stable platform like any before. Worldwide though, without clear figures, it's easy for people to speculate a far wider gap, which one would expect to snowball. I think that's the real source for a concern. Also you're factoring in launch numbers there which include loyal fans. If PS4 is outselling XB1 2:1 (no idea what the average is over past months), triple that for RoW and you get a 6:1 ratio.

As you say, a lot rides on June's numbers to get a clear picture of XB1's potential. Actually, it'll be July's figure that makes most sense, because June will be an anomalous spike. We need a few months later to see what general consumer demand is at $400.

I think July will be far more telling than June, that is unless we don't see the expected bump in June due to the price cut.

WRT fall exclusives - wasn't there a Forza title released last fall with launch of XB1? Why would another Forza title have any more appeal than a Drive club? If anything I'd expect that PS4 owners might have more demand for Drive Club because it hasn't been out yet on the platform. Really though its kind of a moot point bc Destiny should be the most important title this fall. I don't see any exclusives this fall that will move many units for either platform, Titanfall was/is bigger than any of them and it didn't do much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back