Alan Wake 2 [PC, PS5, XBSX|S] 17th october 2023

FSR2 vs DLSS

Almost identical at 4k, though FSR flickering on the fence is more noticeable than DLSS flickering on the water.

Either way, variable rate shading needs to be more common than temporal upscaling.

It gave me a warning about my card not having mesh shader capability and then set it all to medium. I got 5 fps. Turned everything low/off and got 12 fps.

I'm out! 😳

What resolution? Is there no way you get it to a playable frame rate regardless of graphics?

Seems a shame to abandon it if you've already spent the money.

They are using "pathtracing" only for indirect lights. Guess this helps a lot. Direct lights are using raytracing and can be used alone. That is different to Cyberpunk.
Interesting approach.

Let's see what the advantagesand disadvantages are compared to Cyberpunk 2077's pathtracing.

So using the PS5 performance settings at 1440p DLSS balanced on a 3080. I'm in the first wooded area and I get about 120 fps, give or take at the place I'm measuring. If I set post processing to high, it drops to about 100. So gain about 20% performance changing it from high to low. With DLSS you don't get that weird flickering when you have post process low ... at least I haven't seen it yet. The game does look very soft, but also wildly good for low settings. I'll probably turn up reflections quality because they seem to be the noisiest part of the game from the DF breakdown.

Tried turning ray tracing on low and I get just over 60 fps in the area I'm in. Path tracing medium is almost 50 on the dot. No thanks. Guess I'll be sticking fairly close to some version of PS5 settings.

I've settled on using the PS5 quality settings, but texture resolution and filtering on high and post processing low. DLSS mostly gets rid of the flickering so far. I'm staying above 90 fps, which is enough for me. In town I think it's about 120. See if there are rougher spots later in the game.

Going to try the ini tweak for sharpening to see if I like it. Not going to turn off vignetting, lens distortion or film grain. They're too much a part of the artistic presentation.

Some scènes are really nice, but I don't know, it's not ground breaking in others, and very soft. I wonder where the processing power is going in most scenes tbh.

Just wanted to chime in that I'm absolutely loving this game!

One thing though.. just in case anyone here or family/loved ones has epilepsy.. definitely take this games warning screen seriously and take care when playing this game, because they use ultra fast camera cuts all over the place with extreme flashing with absolutely no warning to the player as jumpscares in the game.

Back