Alan Wake 2 [PC, PS5, XBSX|S] 17th october 2023

Apparently this requires mesh shading support as well, so Pascal and RDNA1 won't run it. I guess they are using primitive shaders on RDNA1 based PS5?

makes you wonder if they have a fallback to use primitive shaders why not also have that on p.c as well ?

On pc I think the fallback to be the old vertex shader pipeline. You can't work with primitive shaders directly. They're a driver-level construct that AMD converts mesh shaders to that maps closely to their hardware. For RDNA1 and Pascal gpus, the fallback would be the vertex shader pipeline, which just may not be up to the task. On PS5 devs can likely work with primitive shaders directly, and do all of the things a mesh shader would do.

Edit: Also calling it a fallback is a bit deceptive. It's just a second geometry pipeline the devs would have to engineer to cover the case of gpus that don't support the mesh shader api. Not sure how many devs would ever write games this way. UE5 will use mesh shaders for nanite on gpus that support it, but I think most games will just make a switch to mesh shaders when they think the gpu market is ready. We're probably getting close. We have three gens of Nvidia gpus that support it, and two gens of AMD gpus. I think the next gen of pc gpus will definitely put us there.

Last edited:
They claimed on twitter they aim to have the best looking game of 2023. Best looking ever, meaning. Looking at this more crisp trailer, not smeared with the usual youtube vaseline, they look to be on track

Back