Alan Wake 2 [PC, PS5, XBSX|S] 17th october 2023

Version 0.90 of dlssg to fsr3 automatically disables the Epic Game Store overlay, so it should work without having to delete the overlay from your pc. Going to try this out!

Edit: It works! No more messing with the EGS overlay! I'm using something like (slightly better) the PS5 settings (1440p DLSS performance or balanced) in @Dictator 's video. I'm at one of the Alan Wake parts and getting around 120 fps and frame generation bumps it up to 190, which is very nice on my 240Hz display! I am impressed. I can feel a bit of input lag increase, but my base frame rate is high enough that it's not too bad.

Download the universal DLLs zip
Extract
...\dlssg-to-fsr3-0.90 (Universal)-738-0-90-1704864327\dll_version\
copy version.dll and dlssg_to_fsr3_amd_is_better.dll into the folder with the alan wake 2 exe
That's it!

Last edited:
New patch

Some things I like:

The SDR brightness setting now affects UI and 2D videos correctly.
Fixed maximum display luminance being outdated in Brightness calibration menu.
[PC] You can now tweak the FOV (Field of view) in the UI.
preview images for tweakable settings in graphics menu (@Dictator (y))
Fixed the vegetation not always reacting to explosions in a cool way.

There are lots of improvements, but I'll just list the performance improvements here. There's a whole other section of visual improvements.

Performance (aka the Northlight flex section)
  • [PlayStation 5] Fixed the random stuttering during perfect dodge slow-motion moves.
  • [PC] Changing the graphics settings is now… snappier.
  • [PC] Optimized shadow map rendering saving up to 0.3ms in the Dark Place.
  • [Xbox Series] Optimized point and spotlight culling, shaving off 0.3ms in locations where lights are aplenty.
  • [PlayStation 5] Optimized UI rendering when there are a lot of UI elements on screen, such as when the Inventory is visible, resulting in smoother performance.
  • Optimized character controller code for improved CPU performance, saving up to 1ms – 2ms in locations with dense geometry.
  • Lighting optimizations inside the Overlap in RE01 Invitation saving 1ms – 1.2ms for smoother performance.
  • Lighting optimizations around the Valhalla Nursing Home during RE05 Old Gods saving 0.3ms – 0.4ms.
  • The good kind of lighting and fog optimizations around Watery that didn’t result in downgrading the visuals.
  • Slightly optimized texture memory usage. Slightly.

One thing I'll say is absolutely no one is going to be cpu limited in this game lol, but I guess continued optimization is cool. Maybe the cpus on the console are stressed. Not sure.

You say that but on a 4070ti it can show signs of a CPU limitation on a 13900k, so those running Zen 2 would likely have regular instances of CPU bottlenecks.

CPU-RT-off.jpg

You say that but on a 4070ti it can show signs of a CPU limitation on a 13900k, so those running Zen 2 would likely have regular instances of CPU bottlenecks.

CPU-RT-off.jpg

I usually aim to come close to cpu limiting my games, but even I would never run at 1080p DLSS ultra performance. That must look horrible. DLSS balanced at 1080p is probably going to be pushing image quality to its limits for the majority of people.

Interesting observation regarding Alan Wake 2 on PC. When running the game with medium ray tracing on a 3070 GPU with DLSS but without Ray Reconstruction, it delivers good fps at 1080p, but quickly collapses at 1440p, as it runs out of VRAM. However, running the game with Ray Reconstruction removes that problem, and the game becomes 10% faster at 1080p, and a crazy 350% faster at 1440p (as it sheds the VRAM limit).

Interesting observation regarding Alan Wake 2 on PC. When running the game with medium ray tracing on a 3070 GPU with DLSS but without Ray Reconstruction, it delivers good fps at 1080p, but quickly collapses at 1440p, as it runs out of VRAM. However, running the game with Ray Reconstruction removes that problem, and the game becomes 10% faster at 1080p, and a crazy 350% faster at 1440p (as it sheds the VRAM limit).

I assume that means the normal denoisers that RR replaces are quite VRAM heavy?

Yeah, even on my 2080Ti, I get a very large boost from using Ray Reconstruction, I think it saves on memory bandwidth as well.

I'll have to take a look at my 3080 10GB again. I think ray reconstruction was slower depending on the denoising options. Maybe 10GB is just enough, or the card has enough bandwidth. I'm playing at 1440p though, not 4k.

Benchmark of the latest version of Alan Wake 2 (the one that fixes Pascal performance), in rasterization and path tracing. Some interesting observations.

In Rasterization it's interesting to note that a 4060Ti is equal to 2080Ti, RDNA2 is equal to Ampere, and RDNA3 is slightly faster than equivalent Ada.

However, in Path Tracing, the 4060Ti dominates the 2080Ti with 66% faster performance, while the 2080Ti is equal to RDNA2 (6900XT), Ampere is faster than RDNA3, and Ada is 3x times faster than Ampere, 4x times faster than RDNA3 and 6x times faster than Turing!! Some big margins there, the biggest I have ever seen I think.

Last edited:
Back