Alan Wake 2 [PC, PS5, XBSX|S] 17th october 2023

First for me ... Never realized there was a tie-in between Alan Wake and Remedy's Control game according to the Recap video.

Has this been announced or are you assuming?
It was confirmed quite a while ago.

While the game has been built from the ground up with this cinematic frame rate in mind, a Performance mode will be available for PS5 and Xbox Series X players looking for a smoother experience, according to Remedy's communications director Robert Puha.

"I'm glad to say that Alan Wake 2 will have a Performance mode on PS5 and Xbox Series X," Puha posted on Twitter. "The game has been built from the beginning as a 30fps experience focusing on visuals and ambiance, but somehow we have managed to include a solid Performance mode. Our Northlight engine scales well in this case though, lower resolution yet the game looks amazing. One of the big challenges from a performance standpoint on the Saga side is that the Pacific Northwest has a lot of foliage, trees, (transparent objects), expensive lighting (that looks amazing) amongst many other features that make it really challenging on the framerate."

Maybe they aren't using FSR 2 on consoles. If they are I doubt many people will be able to handle the upscale from what will probably be 480p or lower on a 4k TV.

A 2060 is supposed to get 1080p30 with DLSS Quality on low settings. A PS5 should be significantly more powerful than that. I'd be surprised if resolution dropped that low.

A 2060 is supposed to get 1080p30 with DLSS Quality on low settings. A PS5 should be significantly more powerful than that. I'd be surprised if resolution dropped that low.
Doubling the framerate is going to take a lot more grunt than the headroom a PS5 has over a 2060. 1080p with DLSS quality is slightly below 720p. 480p sounds about right for 60 fps.

Doubling the framerate is going to take a lot more grunt than the headroom a PS5 has over a 2060. 1080p with DLSS quality is slightly below 720p. 480p sounds about right for 60 fps.

PS5 is usually compared to a 2070S on digital foundry, and the Alan Wake 2 spec is a 2060. That's what, 30-40% difference? 480p is half the pixels of 720p. A 2060 might be getting close to 60 fps just by dropping to 480p, depending on how much of the performance is hindered by post processing that's done after upscale.

I'm really curious to see where the game ends up. Upscale from 480p to 4k would be wild. Immortals of Aveum is 720p upscaled. I think Series S might be close to 480p in that game.

PS5 is usually compared to a 2070S on digital foundry, and the Alan Wake 2 spec is a 2060. That's what, 30-40% difference? 480p is half the pixels of 720p. A 2060 might be getting close to 60 fps just by dropping to 480p, depending on how much of the performance is hindered by post processing that's done after upscale.

I'm really curious to see where the game ends up. Upscale from 480p to 4k would be wild. Immortals of Aveum is 720p upscaled. I think Series S might be close to 480p in that game.

This is where the 2070 Super lands.

relative-performance_1920-1080.png

Ports of PS5 exclusives are where we normally see a requirement a 2070 Super (or higher) to match what PS5 does, but PS5 isn't at that level in multiplatform games.

You have to factor in the variable clock speeds too which will become more of a 'thing' when games start getting more demanding.

This is where the 2070 Super lands.

View attachment 9881

Ports of PS5 exclusives are where we normally see a requirement a 2070 Super (or higher) to match what PS5 does, but PS5 isn't at that level in multiplatform games.

You have to factor in the variable clock speeds too which will become more of a 'thing' when games start getting more demanding.

Yah, so the 2070 Super is about 30% faster. 100/78 = 1.28. Throw in low-level access, platform specific settings, platform specific optimizations and you're probably a little more than that.

One thing I hope is that the consoles don't have settings that are lower than low on pc. Any settings that are available on console should be available on pc if it allows it to scale to lower hardware.

FSR2 ultra-performance is 720p->4k, so I have a hard time expecting any mode is going to be less than that. Maybe performance mode won't be locked 60. Super curious.

Didn't watch the other video because I didn't really need to s don't know how well it covered everything, but here is a written article covering the control awe dlc and it's connections to alan wake. It is obviously full of spoilers so if you plan on playing it maybe don't read this.

Back