Ace Combat 6 for Xbox 360 ? *confirmed* *rules: post #111

The quality of those PS2 screen are HORRIBLE. Not a very fair comparison.

Now answer my question please.

Can you see the difference between 480p and 720p?

Can you see the difference in aliasing?

You said you could NOT see these things yet they are clearly there. Can you see them now or are you going to continue avoiding this question because it demonstrates how foolish you look stating you cannot see any of the differences I noted (included in the list was MSAA and resolution).

Just wish they could make a PC flight sim using a similar 3D engine...sniff

Actually you got FSX for PC which matches it although AC6 lightning seems a bit more realistic. But FSX is a aviation sim so no plane dogfights. Still waiting for a good war heli/plane sim (that looks good to) to come to PC, been waiting for so years...:cry:

As a AC fan, i'm disappointed.

:LOL: As an AC fan, you should be happy your game just went from this:
562459_20041026_screen008.jpg

To this:
ace6tornado001640x360pw0.jpg

Alright folks... I think we all get the point. PSMan is not going to give up on his perceptions. Can we please let the argument go. It's ruining the thread.

I can't imagine this game being exclusive to the Xbox 360. Surely it will come out to the PS3 eventually, if not day and day to the Xbox 360 version.

Theres no doubt that Xbox360 is far much powerful than PS2, so it´s not so strange that AC6 looks superior. Still AC5 looks good for being a PS2 game.

Is this game only for the xbox360?

Or is it for both as I remember the whole AC series otherwise being for PS.
Neverthless if it is well done and not to arcady then I may pick up an xbox360 and hook it up to my monitor becouse I feel an urge to use the trigger on my joystick (or any joystick) as I haven't pressed it for years!:LOL:

what I notice in the AC6 Xbox 360 screens compared to AC5 and AC Zero on PS2

*more geometry in the aircraft
*better lighting, maybe HDR?
*more 3D buildings in the cities
*better texture detail everywhere
*much greater draw-distance, seems like there's no (or little) fog to mask draw-in
*higher resolution
*less aliasing
*better color depth

keeping that in mind, with the 3x fillrate requirement to make the leap from 480i (the PS2 AC games) to 720p, while maintaining 60fps (I assume AC6 will be 60fps). also having this online is going to use up some processing power, keeping track of alot of planes & missiles, and ground units.

I expect there to be more aircraft per squadron this time. instead of the 4 planes in AC5 that comprised your own squadron and the 4-7 planes per enemy squadron in AC5 & ACZ, maybe we'll see 8 to 16 planes per squad this time. there is no doubt going to be more activity on the ground with more armored units moving around.

look at this shot, notice all the surface to air missiles being fired!
http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/5111/1228_0011.jpg

well based on Namco's previous Next Gen efforts I'm not counting graphics as the reason alone to buy this game.

Although the screens look good; fun, arcade ACE COMBAT! game PLAY is what they are bringing to the table.

Xbox Live AC..... mmmm. :cool:

In terms of visuals, I do feel that while Ace Combat 6: Fires Of Liberation clearly looks significantly better than Ace Combat 4: Shattered Skies, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War, Ace Combat 6: The Belkan War, there is not the enormous leap we saw going from the PS1 AC games to the PS2 AC games--or even the leap from the PS1 AC games to Air Force Delta on Dreamcast.

I think the PS2 games really showed a huge leap from Ace Combat, Ace Combat 2 and Ace Combat 3 Electrosphere, because the PS2 AC games got a very very large increase in geometry, lighting and double the framerate.

There is less of a leap now with AC6, more like a significant upgrade rather than complete revolution like we had from PS1 to PS2. but AC6 is still a very noticable jump in graphics.

I might have to change my opinion when I see AC6 in motion.

the real revolution for AC6 will not be the graphics, but the online gameplay, and hopefully, much larger-scale battles, and the "Dynamic Operation System" / "Dynamic Mission System"

http://www.namcobandaigames.com/news
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/13083/Ace-Combat-6-Fires-of-Liberation-Screenshots/
http://forums.acecombatskies.com/index.php?showtopic=6242&view=findpost&p=219795

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an odd thread. How can there be any debate that AC6 looks better than AC5? It's better in every way. It may be similar, but it's certainly better.

That's a few nice screens of AC6. Titles like these can go all out on aircraft visuals. Realtime AO calculations of some form should be possible for photorealistic lighting. The terrain will always be a matter of difficulty depending on how close you fly. From a huge distance, massive texture work is all that's needed. Up close, getting convincing buildings and foliage becomes harder.

Looks pretty good though, especially for a first attempt.

This is an odd thread. How can there be any debate that AC6 looks better than AC5? It's better in every way. It may be similar, but it's certainly better.

there's no real debate that AC6 looks better than AC5, it's just a matter of how much better. I say the improvement is big, though not massive.

The terrain will always be a matter of difficulty depending on how close you fly. From a huge distance, massive texture work is all that's needed. Up close, getting convincing buildings and foliage becomes harder.

Looks pretty good though, especially for a first attempt.

in terms of being very close to the ground, AC5 was an improvement over AC4 on the same system, but there was clearly a long way to go. I think AC6 will look decent flying at low altitude, though perhaps not good enough for some people. maybe Namco will improve the sense of speed as you rush by the ground using motion blur.

in terms of being very close to the ground, AC5 was an improvement over AC4 on the same system, but there was clearly a long way to go. I think AC6 will look decent flying at low altitude, though perhaps not good enough for some people. maybe Namco will improve the sense of speed as you rush by the ground using motion blur.

Either motion blur or an efficient system for changing ground textures to higher res in a big enough circle around the plane. But personally I think motion blur is the way to go.

Back