Ace Combat 6 for Xbox 360 ? *confirmed* *rules: post #111

it just hit me -- those PS2 AC5 screens have more AA applied to them
( maybe 16x or more ) than X360 AC6 will have ( 4x at most ). or is it more to do with the resolution of those AC5 shots rather than AA?

in terms of resolution & anti-aliasing, true, of course AC5 doesn't look like that, but as far as detail & lighting, the screens represent the replay / external view visuals.

I hate having to down play a developers achievements. But I feel like they could do so much better this gen. This is the type of game that could really take advantage of procedural surfaces.

I'm a total sucker for the sexy form of jet aircraft though.

According to Gamespot, this is how AC5 looked in-game on the PS2:

562459_20041025_screen005.jpg

If these AC6 shots represent the in-game graphics, I would say it's quite an improvement over last-gen.

My thoughts are that even with quad sli rig with a quad core processor you would struggle to really improve on Ace Combat Zero. Aside from a few technical limitations on the ground with the buildings sticking out like a saw thumb against the "fake" buildings in the textures there really isn't a lot to improve on.

It already looks almost photo realistic on the PS2.

The ground is much improved in my opinion in the 360 version, but I am not really seeing the huge leap the technology should afford in the plane models, but as I said they did such a fantastic job on the PS2 in that area there isn't really all that much room for improvement.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes now I can tell that Ace Combat 6 does indeed look superior to AC5 and ACZ on PS2.

:LOL: :LOL:

Looking at those screen I have to say AC5 looks better, much better. Look like Namco should've built the game from ground up for the PS3 hardware first.

don't be silly. AC6 looks better in every way compared to AC5.

I can understand why people would say AC6 does not look like a full generational leap beyond AC5 & ACZ,

I can myself say that AC6 does not seem to be the same leap over AC5/ACZ as AC4 (PS2) was over AC2/AC3 (PS1) but AC6 does represent a large improvement in ground/terrain graphics over AC5/ACZ and a very noticable bump up in lighting quality, and in 720p,

but to say AC5 looks much much better, is just plain trolling.

Looking at those screen I have to say AC5 looks better, much better.

To me the game looks EXACTLY like AC5 and worse in some area.

EXACTLY like AC5? Did you miss the extra ground geometry, draw distance, 4xMSAA, cloud detail, 720p HD, aircraft detail fidelity... ?

There are obvious improvements (even if perceived to be minor) and the cleaner image (MSAA, HD) makes your comment about AC5 looking much better... yeah. PS Man...

Anyhow, I heard this may be "exclusive" and wonder if it will be a RR6/RR7 sort of exclusive.

Personally I have been waiting for a semi-sim aircraft game. A PGR3 of flight games. Not a Need for Speed or Burnout game (Blazing Angels... ugh!!), but something will full 360 control, simplified (but believable) controls that mimick the general idea, with a focus on flying and air combat. No circle wars as well as no 20mile out shots... maybe a WWII game would be better for such.

Sorry but I don't see any of those improvement you're talking about Josh:rolleyes:

Any? You cannot see any of the improvements I mentioned? Lets look at 2 of them that I mentioned you cannot see.

Lets start with 480p versus 720p. Do you see it?

Can you see the difference in the MSAA on the 360 version compared to the PS2 version?

PS2 480p with no MSAA

Xbox 360 720p with MSAA

Just IMHO

Technical issues are not a matter of opinion.

ace6tornado001640x360pw0.jpg

full size: http://www.acecombat.jp/ace6/arms/tornado/ace6_tornado001.jpg

^ seems to have significantly more geometry detail on the plane models ^

BTW, all the AC6 ~ X360 screens so far do NOT look like bullshots, because although there seems to be some anti-aliasing present, there's still plenty of aliasing. the AC5 bullshots had no noticable aliasing at all. so I think it's save to say the AC6 screens represent what we will see when we actually play it. now we need trailers and gameplay vids >_<

Back