Ace Combat 6 for Xbox 360 ? *confirmed* *rules: post #111

Ace%20combat%202.jpg

you say PS4 Megadrive....but

this is what I expected from a PS3 version of ACE COMBAT some where in its life time...... I don't know about the those clouds though....lol..... (Warhawks clouds do look nice, so maybe) but I think the PS3 could pull off those planes.......am I crazy for expecting this :-?

Modern GPUs have 384-bit and even 512-bit busses. Its effectively double that for SLI. I doubt we'll see more than 256-bit next gen.

You can't forget the space needed either. If consoles still use eDRAM next gen (and I don't see why not), I'd say 64MB is the most they'll have. That's enough for 1080p, 32bpp, 4xAA. Devs can then forget about tiling. If they have to choose between 4xAA and 16xAA with tiling, what are they going to choose? If most console gamers today don't even care about 4xAA, why would they care about 16xAA over 4xAA? I most certainly don't, and I care about AA far more than a typical console gamer.

I agree, and eDRAM opens doors for potential savings in process node shrinks. The future gets hazy in the 2012-2015 timeframe, but eDRAM gives companies some nice options with cost control. Assuming close to linear scaling, with a 32nm process node available for the next consoles that should allow 64MB with about the same (maybe smaller) footprint than the 360's eDRAM. Saving cash on memory bandwidth (large bus and/or high frequency memory) as well as isolating some high demand bandwidth clients with the ability to completely feed their peak need can be nice. Of course some don't see this as much of a need anymore, but from an elegance of design and cost reduction perspective it can be a benefit. Of course the X3/PS4 may have a number of memory controllers and NUMAs and who knows what else so it is hard to predict what will be the best solution. Avoiding tiling though while getting a lot of bandwidth that is sucking away at your general memory pool is nice.

That said I want to see high levels of AF mandated as well as designs that leverage post processing effects.

Ace%20combat%202.jpg

this is what I expected from a PS3 version of ACE COMBAT some where in its life time...... I don't know about the those clouds though....lol..... (Warhawks clouds do look nice, so maybe) but I think the PS3 could pull off those planes.......am I crazy for expecting this :-?

1228_0013.jpg

1228_0015.jpg

1228_0019.jpg

If this game had perfect image quality, it would almost be there. In fact, AC6 looks closer to reality than the image you posted.

1228_0013.jpg

If this game had perfect image quality, it would almost be there. In fact, AC6 looks closer to reality than the image you posted.

I love that pic right there......I have seen almost all of the pics that xboxyde has and some look so amazing....but again this is what I expected from the ACE COMBAT devs whether it be PS3 or 360

I kinda chose the wrong pic, I meant to choose one of the other renders......but either way I agree with you that this pic looks more realistic than the render on my reply.........

with all of these pics.....I'm surprised that 360 owners have to wait until November (is it) for the game.........I mean it looks ready right now......:smile: I wonder if they would release a demo extremely early like Capcom did with Lost Planet (if I remember correctly)

Ace%20combat%202.jpg

I'm not going to predict what Xbox 360 and PS3 will be doing later in their lifecycles. all I am gonna say is, I'd expect this level of visuals from first-gen Xbox 720 and PS4 games (including the AC5 renders I posted). there's more anti-aliasing used than either X360 or PS3 is capable of.

going from this (realtime):
1228_0012.jpg

to this (prerendered):
ace-combat-5-screens-and-observations-20040601042811949.jpg

shouldn't be a problem, provided next-gen hardware gets a reasonable bump in image quality not just the amount of polys/shaders/pixels etc.

I am sure some people would even say there's almost no difference between those two images.

4x AA (1080p) should be enough and there is is more to make it feel and look CGI-ish. Animation smoothness, framerate smoothness and CGI-ish like motion blur for moving objects.

as for anti-aliasing next-gen, since things always do move forward, even AA which has been slow to progress on consoles, the LEAST I expect is:
720p games get 8x AA - 1080p games get 4x AA, and even that is not what I had *wanted*, but minimum worst-case. we are getting 2x and 4x AA in X360/PS3 games this gen, so one should expect 4x and 8x AA in next-gen.

with all of these pics.....I'm surprised that 360 owners have to wait until November (is it) for the game.........I mean it looks ready right now......:smile: I wonder if they would release a demo extremely early like Capcom did with Lost Planet (if I remember correctly)

I read on some websites & forums that AC6 for X360 is only 50% completed, so, I am just wondering if Namco will even make a late 2007 release in
North America--especially this being the FIRST Ace Combat game to be online. then again, I would guess that AC6 was in development by late 2005.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that ss looks great. If we get that fidelity with reasonably detailed GI next gen, i'll be happy (and 4xAA w/transparency SSAA oh and 16xaf at an internal res of at least 720P)

I'm sorry but aside from perhaps IQ, what about flight games shouldn't allow for these next gen systems to push out almost CGI-like graphics for the planes?

For a game like Ace Combat, all you have to model is the plane, some other planes relatively far off in the distance, and what I think is probably a rather simple terrain map which LoD algorithms could take care of.

If one looks to the driving sim games, we have stuff that can sometimes be mistaken for real pictures........so what makes modelling aircraft that much harder? You don't really have to model much in detail aside from the plane itself unless you get ambitious and start trying to design levels that have you snaking a F16 through New York streets...

Diminishing returns.

/thread.

I roflcoptered... OMG still...

I must admit that namco did fucking fine on the Xbox360 with their Framework Engine!
Amazing Work there it is still the Framework Engine judging by the looks.
Didn't expect ACE Combat coming to Xbox. I bought my Playstation's
because of the Air/Ace Comabt games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Close

This is concept arts....no ways to be acheived now.:smile:

I feel maybe it can come very close (enough) because of Gears of War. I think Gears of War has amazing texture quality like this airplane picture. I think clouds and sky effect is more difficult to make real but I am not a developer so I cannot be certain of this. What is dissappointing for me with ace combat is not graphics (always has amazing look) but airplane physics is not so great. It does not make sense how they make it move.

I roflcoptered... OMG still...

I must admit that namco did fucking fine on the Xbox360 with their Framework Engine!
Amazing Work there it is still the Framework Engine judging by the looks.
Didn't expect ACE Combat coming to Xbox. I bought my Playstation's
because of the Air/Ace Comabt games.

I thought Capcom came up with the Framework Engine :???: When did Namco decide to use it?

Back