Accurate human rendering in game [2014-2016]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by babcat, Mar 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

God damn! So many things in that video that ruin the believability. Hair motion, eyes not having proper contact, wrong body language, touch that doesnt look like touch, facial muscles full of botox.

And something irrelevant what a stupid script writing "its better to have them happy than safe". As if there is a person that is mentally sane that is happy being in war. Happens only in idiotic US war games and Hollywood movies

2. nightshade

nightshade Wookies love cookies!
    Veteran

Doesn't uncanny valley mean that the model and animation's resemblance to a real human is so uncanny that it invokes a sense of uneasiness and revulsion, rather than models and animation that might look real but do not move right ?

BRiT likes this.
  3. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Well the more you approach to realism the more things that are kinda off compared to reality stand out producing a feeling of discomfort.

4. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Uncanny Valley is subjective and varies by person based on their individual response, and relates to every aspect of appearance and behaviour. As long as a human analogue is clearly not human, the viewer doesn't try to perceive them as such and there's no emotional tension. It's as the analogue approaches realism that the brain tries to see it as a real person and all the sensitive perceptions of the minutiae break, and this has the strong negative response. Depending on how sensitive you are to the subtleties of real people, and how accepting you are of variances, the Uncanny Valley experience can exist at a different threshold for you than someone else.

It's worth noting that the uneasiness extends to real people looking or behaving on that threshold of 'normal'. Go to a party and blink mechanically every four seconds while otherwise acting normally, and see how people shy away! I actually know someone with a wonky eye who can't meet your gaze, and depending which eye you see, they appear either to be looking at you or elsewhere. That generates a discomfort among people and must be hell to live with.

Last top tip - the Uncanny Valley idea originated with androids, and absolutely covers movement as well as appearance.

tabs likes this.
  5. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

I'd elaborate that to say that actually, it usually is mostly about movement. You can construct the most realistic looking person in every small little detail, and usually that 'person' will only start looking creepy when it starts moving. As we all know that getting the movement actually right - including all those imperceptible tics and tiny muscle and eye movements - is almost impossible, even today.

tabs likes this.
  6. milk

milk Like Verified
    Veteran Regular

I had never seen those MOH cutscenes, and was actually impressed. It is very odd looking and unconfrotable at a lot of times, but I felt like I had seen a certain level of subtlety in the character's expressions that I had never seen before. Like how the they pulled off the wife trying to pretend to not be upset while still smiling, but still giving her angriness away when her husband leaves. It's got a lot of wrong in there, but plenty good too. I liked it to some extent.

7. Jupiter

Veteran Newcomer

I do not know exactly what I do not like. I think it is about the animations. As it has already been said here.

Thank for your comment.

I also think that it is very varied. We already see in this thread.
    Personally, I have a bigger distance to the characters in the last console generation. The more realistic they look, the more I was able to take them seriously. In the end it was better with Beyond, The Last of Us and Crysis. 3

Unless there were nonhuman characters like in Ratchet and Clank.

So much differ the opinions. ^^

Some technical aspects may be very good here. The game came out 2012 already. But these are also pre-rendered videos. In game it does not look as in this videos.

8. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

Aaaaaaand merry Xmas all

[​IMG]

Arwin, Karamazov, Laa-Yosh and 3 others like this.
  9. milk

milk Like Verified
    Veteran Regular

Even not being gay I´d find it hell of funny if characters actually dressed like that. I hope it becomes the next trend.

10. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

We need it. For... Equality. And stuff.

TheAlSpark, Nesh and Laa-Yosh like this.
  11. Billy Idol

Legend Veteran

Another character that breathes with his skin...

TheAlSpark, jlippo, Nesh and 3 others like this.
  12. jlippo

Veteran Regular

I thought it was the worm part that did the breathing, it's clearly wrapped up like a christmas present.

13. TheWretched

Regular

Naa... that's how he drinks water...

London Geezer and Nesh like this.
  14. eloyc

Veteran Regular

Well, I'm bisexual but... ew. ¬_¬

London Geezer likes this.
  15. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Legend Veteran

Stolen from Phreakuency @GAF - NBA Live 16 PS4 in-game footage.

This looks quite amazing (details in face/head).
    [​IMG]

16. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Legend Veteran

Aren't most of todays male characters (especially Japanese males) androgynously drawn/designed/dressed and over-sexualized anyhow? Which by the way, IMHO, is far more disturbing.

And yes, Voldo says hello....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But yes, half-naked males aren't new... so what's all the fuss about women being over-sexualized in video games when it's applied to males as well?

17. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

It's been scientifically proven that Drake always wears way too many clothes.

18. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Legend Veteran

[​IMG]

He's going through some personal things right now... soooo...

#718 Shortbread, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  19. Devious

Regular

They made my boy DWade look chubby as hell lol! He lost a lot of weight in the off-season.

With that said though, that is some pretty amazing detail there. Thanks for sharing this! :yes:

Shortbread likes this.
  20. L. Scofield

Veteran

That only applies if women actually get turned on by those kinds of designs.

#720 L. Scofield, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.