Accurate human rendering in game [2014-2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Often I can not understand why people say that something is Uncanny Valley. The only known thing that I would describe as Uncanny Valley for me is this:

Until Dawn, Uncharted 4, Squadron 42, Ryse etc. I like them all.
God damn! So many things in that video that ruin the believability. Hair motion, eyes not having proper contact, wrong body language, touch that doesnt look like touch, facial muscles full of botox.

And something irrelevant what a stupid script writing "its better to have them happy than safe". As if there is a person that is mentally sane that is happy being in war. Happens only in idiotic US war games and Hollywood movies

Doesn't uncanny valley mean that the model and animation's resemblance to a real human is so uncanny that it invokes a sense of uneasiness and revulsion, rather than models and animation that might look real but do not move right ?

Doesn't uncanny valley mean that the model and animation's resemblance to a real human is so uncanny that it invokes a sense of uneasiness and revulsion, rather than models and animation that might look real but do not move right ?
Well the more you approach to realism the more things that are kinda off compared to reality stand out producing a feeling of discomfort.

Often I can not understand why people say that something is Uncanny Valley.
Uncanny Valley is subjective and varies by person based on their individual response, and relates to every aspect of appearance and behaviour. As long as a human analogue is clearly not human, the viewer doesn't try to perceive them as such and there's no emotional tension. It's as the analogue approaches realism that the brain tries to see it as a real person and all the sensitive perceptions of the minutiae break, and this has the strong negative response. Depending on how sensitive you are to the subtleties of real people, and how accepting you are of variances, the Uncanny Valley experience can exist at a different threshold for you than someone else.

It's worth noting that the uneasiness extends to real people looking or behaving on that threshold of 'normal'. Go to a party and blink mechanically every four seconds while otherwise acting normally, and see how people shy away! I actually know someone with a wonky eye who can't meet your gaze, and depending which eye you see, they appear either to be looking at you or elsewhere. That generates a discomfort among people and must be hell to live with.

Last top tip - the Uncanny Valley idea originated with androids, and absolutely covers movement as well as appearance.

Last top tip - the Uncanny Valley idea originated with androids, and absolutely covers movement as well as appearance.
I'd elaborate that to say that actually, it usually is mostly about movement. You can construct the most realistic looking person in every small little detail, and usually that 'person' will only start looking creepy when it starts moving. As we all know that getting the movement actually right - including all those imperceptible tics and tiny muscle and eye movements - is almost impossible, even today.

I had never seen those MOH cutscenes, and was actually impressed. It is very odd looking and unconfrotable at a lot of times, but I felt like I had seen a certain level of subtlety in the character's expressions that I had never seen before. Like how the they pulled off the wife trying to pretend to not be upset while still smiling, but still giving her angriness away when her husband leaves. It's got a lot of wrong in there, but plenty good too. I liked it to some extent.

God damn! So many things in that video that ruin the believability. Hair motion, eyes not having proper contact, wrong body language, touch that doesnt look like touch, facial muscles full of botox.

And something irrelevant what a stupid script writing "its better to have them happy than safe". As if there is a person that is mentally sane that is happy being in war. Happens only in idiotic US war games and Hollywood movies

I do not know exactly what I do not like. I think it is about the animations. As it has already been said here.

Uncanny Valley is subjective and varies by person based on their individual response, and relates to every aspect of appearance and behaviour. As long as a human analogue is clearly not human, the viewer doesn't try to perceive them as such and there's no emotional tension. It's as the analogue approaches realism that the brain tries to see it as a real person and all the sensitive perceptions of the minutiae break, and this has the strong negative response. Depending on how sensitive you are to the subtleties of real people, and how accepting you are of variances, the Uncanny Valley experience can exist at a different threshold for you than someone else.

It's worth noting that the uneasiness extends to real people looking or behaving on that threshold of 'normal'. Go to a party and blink mechanically every four seconds while otherwise acting normally, and see how people shy away! I actually know someone with a wonky eye who can't meet your gaze, and depending which eye you see, they appear either to be looking at you or elsewhere. That generates a discomfort among people and must be hell to live with.

Thank for your comment.

I also think that it is very varied. We already see in this thread.
Personally, I have a bigger distance to the characters in the last console generation. The more realistic they look, the more I was able to take them seriously. In the end it was better with Beyond, The Last of Us and Crysis. 3

Unless there were nonhuman characters like in Ratchet and Clank.

I recently setup a big Sony LED TV that has an absurd contrast ratio with calibrated settings (Gamma, color ect.) and played through PC games like Ryse, and while it looks really good it also doesn't look convincing at all to me in terms of "accurate rendering" or in my classification realism. However, when I went through Portal 2 again my jaw dropped at the realism, for e.g Wheatley's introduction at the start; I was totally convince that Whealtley was inside my room.

So much differ the opinions. ^^

I had never seen those MOH cutscenes, and was actually impressed. It is very odd looking and unconfrotable at a lot of times, but I felt like I had seen a certain level of subtlety in the character's expressions that I had never seen before. Like how the they pulled off the wife trying to pretend to not be upset while still smiling, but still giving her angriness away when her husband leaves. It's got a lot of wrong in there, but plenty good too. I liked it to some extent.

Some technical aspects may be very good here. The game came out 2012 already. But these are also pre-rendered videos. In game it does not look as in this videos.

Aaaaaaand merry Xmas all

7bb25e0e7c3922ca57cc459ac73466dc.jpg

Even not being gay I´d find it hell of funny if characters actually dressed like that. I hope it becomes the next trend.

Aaaaaaand merry Xmas all

*BlackHangingDongPic*

Aren't most of todays male characters (especially Japanese males) androgynously drawn/designed/dressed and over-sexualized anyhow? Which by the way, IMHO, is far more disturbing.

And yes, Voldo says hello....
latest

latest

But yes, half-naked males aren't new... so what's all the fuss about women being over-sexualized in video games when it's applied to males as well?

Aren't most of todays male characters (especially Japanese males) androgynously drawn/designed/dressed and over-sexualized anyhow? Which by the way, IMHO, is far more disturbing.

And yes, Voldo says hello....
latest

latest

But yes, half-naked males aren't new... so what's all the fuss about women being over-sexualized in video games when it's applied to males as well?
It's been scientifically proven that Drake always wears way too many clothes.

Stolen from Phreakuency @GAF - NBA Live 16 PS4 in-game footage.

This looks quite amazing (details in face/head).
23853306482_13c1328e8e_o.png

They made my boy DWade look chubby as hell lol! He lost a lot of weight in the off-season.

With that said though, that is some pretty amazing detail there. Thanks for sharing this! :yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back