Accurate human rendering in game [2014-2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yes, Voldo says hello....
latest

Wow, this one is extreme man. Funny thing is, it was also designed to apeal to males. Generaly women don't get off of body parts and naked dudes as much as guys do out of butts and tits, be them flamboiant like this one or a very masculine built up hunk, its normally other stuff that gets women going.

Wow, this one is extreme man. Funny thing is, it was also designed to apeal to males. Generaly women don't get off of body parts and naked dudes as much as guys do out of butts and tits, be them flamboiant like this one or a very masculine built up hunk, its normally other stuff that gets women going.
Yes exactly. Actually there are a lot of women that were turned on by Drake. He is funny, handsome, strong, adventurous, has high self esteem and such. Making a man naked in a videogame is potentially either a bigger turn off for women or much more likely to be less appealing for gamers in general.

It is not necessarily sexist to depict women in a sexy way IMO. In the case of Quiet, despite that people think that her story was an excuse to make her "naked", I saw other things. I saw Hideo Kojima's deliberation to provoke our prejudice and come face to face with our selves. It is us who reflected our sexism on her. This is why Quiet faces some very annoying situations later on by game characters. She is also more pure than the typical sexy female character. It symbolizes a lot of things. Her motives, her intentions, her origin, her true mother tongue, her being in touch with her nature show a lot more in that character than what we think. It shows that our perception is at fault often and not the character design itself. And we dont seem to be comfortable with our nakedness.

It is not the first time Hideo Kojima provoked the gamer. Lets not forget Raiden's feminine looks and symbolism, his nakedness, the lookalike in MGS3 and sexual harrasments against him. Lets not forget Hal's history with his step mom. He also provoked our beliefs in many other ways, this is why there was some subconscious resistance against accepting or understanding plot characteristics in some of the MGS games like in 2 and in 5 (but not only)

Last edited:
That only applies if women actually get turned on by those kinds of designs.

Exactly.

I ask my wife what she thought about the picture; her response was, "he looks like an exotic male dancer". And she also stated, most exotic male dancers are bisexual or just completely gay. She has nothing against gay men (nor do I), she was just stating her and friends experience with male dancers. Anyhow, she believes the picture is more geared towards guys (homosexual males), not women.

Wow, this one is extreme man. Funny thing is, it was also designed to appeal to males.

Yup. I always wondered "why" the Japanese and their game developers are so enamored with designing/creating androgynous looking characters across games, movies, art, comics, anime, etc. Is it purely a cultural thing? And please believe me, I'm not trying to pick on the Japanese people or their culture, far from it.

Yup. I always wondered "why" the Japanese and their game developers are so enamored with designing/creating androgynous looking characters across games, movies, art, comics, anime, etc. Is it purely a cultural thing? And please believe me, I'm not trying to pick on the Japanese people or their culture, far from it.

My very speculative and uninformed guess is that the rough and tough manly man kind of guy fell out of fashion with globalization. I'm about to sound a little judgemental with this, but bear with me... I think once western and japanse culture started spreading more globaly, with TV, cinema, pop culture, mass media etc. Japanese sense of masculinity might have felt a little chalanged. The Japanese simply can't compete with europeans or americans in the typical testosterone induced physical atributes: Being hairy, being tall, being muscular, bearded, and so on. There is no point in japanese man -nor women- to glorify the lumberjack type guy as the ideal alpha male, since in a globalized world the vast majority of japanese would fall short. They went instead for other virtues, that are also great, and can be very mainly: discipline, talent, skill, agility and so on, things that have always been part of japanese culture anyway, from samurais to ninjas and whatever. They are killing machines not through bruteforce, but through grace. Japanese are good at grace! The misterious androgenous over stylistic RPG character is just the modern over exagerated (aproved by a marketing cometee) version of those ideals, much like the steroid filled american football jock Gears of War character is to the american idealized male: Buff, tough, follows orders and barks insults. Funily, from what I've seen of japanese media, the types that are considered super alpha in america: big body builders, comonly black, are portrayed as delicate homosexuals hiding behind muscles. Go figure.

That only applies if women actually get turned on by those kinds of designs.

And do you get turned on by half naked women character in a game?

Only ones who make big deal out of this are neo-feminists, because they instinctively compare themselves with the character and they don't like the outcome produced in their own mind, imo.

Ok, going back on track, what is the most acurate rendering of a real time dong you've seen. Pics to prove your points.

Are we at the point hardware wise (PC and/or Console), where we can support all main characters and NPCs with an 100% procedural animation system (rather than just key moments... i.e. death)? One thing that bugs me alot is how far we come with delivering more photorealistic/CGI characters on screen, but somehow fallen behind on the animation system (especially transitioning from cutscenes to realtime).

Most of today's video game characters and NPCs have canned/scripted animation that looks stiff and always looks looped. Nothing in-between or random on breaking up certain movement. I would like to see more natural movement (especially walking up/down staircases :rolleyes:) or even clumsy moments that are unexpected.

Are we at the point hardware wise (PC and/or Console), where we can support all main characters and NPCs with an 100% procedural animation system (rather than just key moments... i.e. death)? One thing that bugs me alot is how far we come with delivering more photorealistic/CGI characters on screen, but somehow fallen behind on the animation system (especially transitioning from cutscenes to realtime).

Most of today's video game characters and NPCs have canned/scripted animation that looks stiff and always looks looped. Nothing in-between or random on breaking up certain movement. I would like to see more natural movement (especially walking up/down staircases :rolleyes:) or even clumsy moments that are unexpected.
Uncharted games tend to have those "in between" contextual animations, they're almost too much sometimes and you feel Drake is moving too much.

The beta had procedural animation for a variety of characters, two examples:

Running uphill
u4-upwardsddsw1.gif

Running downhill
u4-downwardsrgspg.gif

Bunch of animations strung together (running -> running upwards -> climbing)
u4-animn1suq.gif

Also, this thread has been entertaining for the last couple days :LOL:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back