Accurate human rendering in game [2014-2016]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by babcat, Mar 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris1515

Veteran Regular

It was a big moment for CG rendering in movie.... I remember Terminator 2, all this movie were important date for special CG effect in movie...

2. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

It's not a criticism at all. It's an observation that what was so convincing back then isn't now, as we've learnt to recognise to tells that reveal CG. Thus the bar has been pushed considerably to the point that a CGI in the latest SW film that in 1995 would have had us believing Peter Cushing was back from the dead now looks like a cheap computer game cutscene. That also means that the bar for 'accurate human rendering' as measured against our being able to be misled is also changing. I expect what modern games can do in realtime would have convinced us all they were filmed if we saw them in 1990.

Shoujoboy, Laa-Yosh and London-boy like this.
  3. dogen

Regular Newcomer

Not sure, but definitely a lot. Apparently they spent a year and a half working on it.

4. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

Tarkin looked very gamey to me, but Leia looked amazing.

5. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

I had issues with both of them, but Tarkin had more screen time so I had the time to adjust to it. Leia's appearance was short, so my only impression of here was "ewww that looks shiny and fake" and then she was gone.

Lalaland likes this.
  6. szymku

Newcomer

My wife immediately spotted both Leia and Tarkin looked off. "Gollums" she said... And she's not a geek by any means

7. Laa-Yosh

Laa-Yosh I can has custom title?
    Legend Subscriber

Short video on Tarkin

Shoujoboy, Karamazov, Nesh and 3 others like this.
  8. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

There is some sense of uncanny valley but trying to capture all the tiny subtleties of a real human face, is a super difficult process. Where the sense of belief is reduced is in some facial muscles when the character talks. I think these guys did a superb job. I am not sure if there is an example where a CGI human was 100% convincing and I think thats because it is one of the most complicated tasks

chris1515 likes this.
  9. Recop

Veteran Newcomer

10. Scott_Arm

Legend

Both Tarkin and Leia looked messed up in Rogue One. Creepy as hell. When Tarkin was first shown, from behind, my brother was sitting beside me saying, "Don't turn around ..."

Billy Idol likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.