Moving from 1440p to 4k - Did anyone else feel underwhelmed?

I want to upgrade my monitor nowto something higher refresh rate and and somewhat closer to my LG C2. So I'm looking for a decent 34" ultrawide 1440p with 120hz+ and both decent dimming zones and motion quality. Not sure if that exists much below $1k US but I'd like to keep it around $700 or below if possible if anyone has suggestions.

I want to upgrade my monitor nowto something higher refresh rate and and somewhat closer to my LG C2. So I'm looking for a decent 34" ultrawide 1440p with 120hz+ and both decent dimming zones and motion quality. Not sure if that exists much below $1k US but I'd like to keep it around $700 or below if possible if anyone has suggestions.

That monitor doesn't exist for less than $1000.

There's the Alienware AW3423DWF that's a 34inch ultrawide OLED but over $1000.

Samsung Odyssey G8 which is an ultrawide OLED - But again, over $1000.

AOC AGON PRO AG344UXM that's an IPS ultrawide with 1152 dimming zones but is discontinued now but you may be able to find one?

This may help you to narrow one down as I'm not clued up on US stock and monitors as you guys get monitors I wish we had in the UK!

Been playing some Dying Light 2 and it does struggle in some scenes, don't get me wrong it's still infinitely better than a none FALD panel but you can find areas stress this monitors FALD out.

I've basically talked myself out of an OLED PC monitor due to image retention problems eventually. I usually keep my monitors for 5-8 years so with a lot of static output on parts of the screen for hours on end, I don't think it would last that long without noticable problems. And they're expensive!

I've basically talked myself out of an OLED PC monitor due to image retention problems eventually. I usually keep my monitors for 5-8 years so with a lot of static output on parts of the screen for hours on end, I don't think it would last that long without noticable problems. And they're expensive!

I hear you, this Coolermaster monitor does struggle in some scenes and because it can hit pitch black in some scenes due to FALD the little bit of blooming it does have sticks out even more than normal.

I only use my PC for gaming so the variety of games I play will mean burn-in won't be a problem.

I got the LG for a good price so I can't grumble and I honestly don't see OLED monitor coming down in price all that much.

I hope mini LED monitors with FALD do start to become the norm with zone counts around 500+ for the low to mid end monitors and 1000+ zones for the higher end and then OLED in the ultra high end.

Do not buy these 3440x1440 VA panels. I had the Viewsonic one and the panel is ridiculous slow.

Off the top of my head the only 2 VA panels on monitors that are fast enough to not have significant issues in dark scenes (the "dark smearing" effect) is the Samsung Odyssey G7 and G9/Neo.

As an side regarding "IPS Black" (as it was mentioned a bit back) don't go in with the impression that it's basically IPS with the contrast/black levels of a VA. Right now the implementations are much slower than typical IPS displays (especially the ones mostly used in high refresh gaming panels) and therefore you go back to the response time weakness. Which is likely why all the road maps for it are for 60hz displays only.

In terms of OLED costs going forward we aren't going to see large price reductions until the Chinese companies get involved (which they have in small and medium formats) as LG and Samsung aren't likely to initiate any type of price war. BOE is scaling up larger format display production but not yet aggressively.

Going on 3 years now with my CX as primary display on PC and no signs of burn-in yet. Then again, I've also altered how I use the primary display to reduce the chance of burn-in. For example, all icons and permanent display elements like the task bar are on the side monitor which is currently still an IPS panel.

In another 2 years I might get a new OLED and move the current CX to be the side monitor. At that point burn in won't matter to me as it's the side monitor, so it'll be interesting to see how quickly burn in might set in once I do that. Alternatively, I could go to a 3 display setup. :p

Ooof, having an LCD next to an OLED really just accentuates how bad LCDs are compared to OLEDs in most things.

Regards,
SB

Going on 3 years now with my CX as primary display on PC and no signs of burn-in yet. Then again, I've also altered how I use the primary display to reduce the chance of burn-in. For example, all icons and permanent display elements like the task bar are on the side monitor which is currently still an IPS panel.

In another 2 years I might get a new OLED and move the current CX to be the side monitor. At that point burn in won't matter to me as it's the side monitor, so it'll be interesting to see how quickly burn in might set in once I do that. Alternatively, I could go to a 3 display setup. :p

Ooof, having an LCD next to an OLED really just accentuates how bad LCDs are compared to OLEDs in most things.

Regards,
SB

Smart to move everything static to an LCD in a dual monitor setup. Those kinds of strategies will probably give you a lot more life out of the screen.

Regards,
SB
my LG CX is 2yrs old , going to 3, and also zero permanent burn in.
there used to be smudges around the area where subtitles usually appear, but not its gone.

i used it for work, so its basically showing static content every day from 8 AM to 5 PM. but also for gaming and movies in my free time.

i did set windows 11's SDR brightness to be the lowest in HDR mode, and only used 1 light instead of 2 in the room.

Back