Moving from 1440p to 4k - Did anyone else feel underwhelmed?

Perhaps going for the cheapest 4k monitor on Amazon wasn't a good idea for quality of image and quality of components.

True, but the aim was to give me an idea of how sharp and clear 4k is compared to 1440p which even that is able to do rather than flat out monitor colour and image quality performance.

btw if your 4K screen is kinda fake 4K. like
  • Samsung QDOLED (a bit fuzzy and color bleeds on black texts),
  • LG WOLED (a bit fuzzy and color bleeds on yellows),
  • LG WRGB IPS LCD (a bit fuzzy and diagonal mesh-like scanlines),
  • LG IPS i forgot the model name (a bit fuzzy and vertical scanlines on blues)

The perceived sharpness of 4k may be reduced.

note: its not scanlines but it looks like scanlines. no other person IRL i know ever able to see those. but im pretty sure im not seeing things.

Combined with the size of the monitor possibly not big enough to truly display the difference between the two resolutions.

Combined with the size of the monitor possibly not big enough to truly display the difference between the two resolutions.

1440p on a 27inch screen is no where close to being a 'retina' display where as 4k is so a 27inch screen is more than enough to show the difference.

But moving back to 1440p after the 4k screen broke the reduction in clarity was very obvious so rather than replace it I'll just wait 12 months to what happens with OLED prices.

btw if your 4K screen is kinda fake 4K. like
  • Samsung QDOLED (a bit fuzzy and color bleeds on black texts),
  • LG WOLED (a bit fuzzy and color bleeds on yellows),
  • LG WRGB IPS LCD (a bit fuzzy and diagonal mesh-like scanlines),
  • LG IPS i forgot the model name (a bit fuzzy and vertical scanlines on blues)

The perceived sharpness of 4k may be reduced.

note: its not scanlines but it looks like scanlines. no other person IRL i know ever able to see those. but im pretty sure im not seeing things.

Yeah, I've never noticed any thing like scanlines and I'm looking at my LG IPS right now. Perhaps it's only certain models? Maybe ones that aren't sold in the US?

Yeah, one of my goals was to have the "pixel size"/pixel density be roughly the same between my old 30" 2560x1600 display and the new 55" display. Since I sit farther from the 55" than I did my old 30", the perceived pixel density is slightly higher which is still fine. If was too much higher I'd have to potentially use Windows display scaling to get easy to read text, but thankfully I don't have to. The goal was to keep windows display scaling at 100%.

Regards,
SB

And the 4k monitor died today, won't turn on 🙈

So back to the 1440p monitor.
is it still in the guarantee period?

As for the original post, it's a very tough question. I have a 1080p 3D TV, a 1440P 165Hz 32" HDR monitor and a 4K 50" HDR QLED 120Hz TV. And I am always coming back to the 1440P monitor, its smoothness remains unbeaten and it doesn't look bad.

is it still in the guarantee period?

Yea, it was sent back for a full refund.

As for the original post, it's a very tough question. I have a 1080p 3D TV, a 1440P 165Hz 32" HDR monitor and a 4K 50" HDR QLED 120Hz TV. And I am always coming back to the 1440P monitor, its smoothness remains unbeaten and it doesn't look bad.

I've since bought a new 144hz 4k monitor and are much happier with the image over the cheap 4k60Hz monitor I bought.

Small update:

I plugged the old 1440p monitor in last night after using 4k for 3 weeks and yep......difference is HUGE!!

4k monitor is plugged back and is staying plugged in.

I think I'm sold on 4k now.

Only suprising thing was how much better native 4k can look even compared to DLSS Quality mode.

btw what game? to me DLSS quality looks better than native in CP2077.

i didnt really play it at native tho, as my 3070 is too weak hahahaha

Back to 1440p.

I play when the family is in bed and without any lights on so it's pitch black.

I've tried and tried and tried but that damn IPS glow is ruining the current games I'm playing as it looks good awful when gaming in a pitch black room.

So that left me with three options.

1. Make do and live with the IPS glow
2. Spend £1000 on a 1440p OLED
3. Look at an IPS panel with full array local dimming.

After deciding that I would sooner chuck £1000 in to my other hobby rather than buying an OLED that killed off option 2 right away.

Option 1 was a no go as trying to play Resi 4 Remake is nigh on impossible in the dark because of the IPS glow.

So that left option 3 to which in the UK there aren't that many options.

Samsung have two options for a 1440p and 4k VA based monitors with FALD but they're £1000+ so I might as well go with OLED.

Coolermaster also have two options, a 1440p and 4k IPS monitor with FALD for £500 and £800.

The £800 Coolermaster option is so close to an OLED I might as well just get an OLED so that's that option ruled out.

That left the £500 1440p option from Coolermaster. The price isn't too insane and it still has the same zone count as the 4k version (But still half as much as the Samsung options) so I decided to take a punt.

It arrived around an hour ago so I've had a very quick play around with it but I've yet to really play around with the picture settings.

It's impressed me so far but I won't get to give it a proper test for another 12hrs when it's pitch black and everyone is in bed.

I've attached a few photos of CP2077 in over drive mode with HDR enabled, see if you can tell which one has FALD on and which one doesn't 👀

Attachments

• IMG20230624081331.jpg
    IMG20230624081331.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG20230624085630.jpg
    IMG20230624085630.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG20230624085641.jpg
    IMG20230624085641.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 8
How is the dimming working? I have a AOC with MiniLED and AOC isnt very good in optimizing the zone transistion.

How is the dimming working? I have a AOC with MiniLED and AOC isnt very good in optimizing the zone transition.

No issues so far, I'm actually blown away as some games like Dying Light 2 were literally unplayable in dark scenes now looking like a completely different game.

I can't wait for night time to get here to truly see how it does.

FALD off

IMG20230624110213.jpg

FALD on

IMG20230624110224.jpg

FALD off

IMG20230624110535.jpg

FALD on (Ignore the light reflection from the window as my blind isn't the greatest)

IMG20230624110602.jpg

Previously if a game was dark I couldn't use HDR as it cranked the backlight up to 100% and made the IPS glow 10x worse.

Now I can have it with no issues.

Now the sun is gone and I don't have light reflecting on my screen I can finally see what it's like and wow!!

I had no idea I was missing out on so much depth to everything!!!

No FALD (HDR is disabled)

IMG20230624224616.jpg

FALD enabled (HDR disabled)

IMG20230624224633.jpg

No FALD (HDR is disabled)

IMG20230624224750.jpg

FALD enabled (HDR disabled)

IMG20230624224806.jpg

Now it's not perfect as there's still some blooming in some very select circumstances.

Turning HDR on makes the possibility of there being blooming as the screen does 1200nits so naturally more light = higher chance of blooming.

Some of the blooming is because of the viewing angle, if there's blooming in the bottom right corner and I move my head so I'm looking right at it head on the blooming vanishes, I think a very small curve to the screen would solve this issue.

And the screen looks weird on the edges too, the text and icons look like they're floating on top of the screens surface and not inside the screen.

But honestly, it cost me £500 so I know it's not going to be perfect and I seriously doubt the Samsung Neo series with double the dimming zones (This has 576) produces an improvement that justifies the £1000+ they cost.

This just might be the best 1440p monitor available (that's not based on OLED tech)

@davis.anthony Yah, my next monitor will probably be an ultra-wide of some sort and either an OLED or an LCD with a reasonable amount of dimming zones. I think either of true black (or close), HDR will make a bigger difference than 4k compared to what I'm used to. I have a 1440p display and jumped through hoops for some kind of calibration to make it look better, but black level and lack of HDR are still the two things that are missing.

I think if this used a newer 'IPS Black' panel it wouldn't have any blooming at all as the blooming is minimal.

My last monitor did just over 400nits according to reviews but as it was edge lit HDR was completely unusable in games that had a dark setting as it required the backlight to be at 100% which just made the blooming 10x worse.

Now there games are completely playable with the full 1200nits.

Back