4K gaming and viewing review

They're not that readily available. At least, looking for OLED tablets there are very few. I love my Nexus 7, but its screen is so inferior for Netflix than my 4" S3 Mini. Even Samsung's flagship tablets don't use OLED. And OLED without naff Pentile matrices are even rarer. I think we've a long way to go to get decent mainstream OLED TVs. It was some years ago that Sony released the first small OLED. 2007 the 11" XEL-1, so sayeth Google. And with the push to 4k, surely more focus will be on higher res LCD than OLED.

Aren't the Galaxy S4 and 5 using 1080p OLED screens? They've been getting pretty good reviews.

You can pick up an LG 55" OLED TV for around £3500 now. Bargain!

Wait for that to half again, and for them to stop making them bloody curved, and my much loved Pioneer plasma may well find it's time to move on.

Aren't the Galaxy S4 and 5 using 1080p OLED screens?

It's AMOLED which is a little bit different, and I don't why they got positive reviews when the technology itself is inferior. I mean the represented colours are shitty.

Anyways, I wouldn't buy S5 because its UI, icons are like animated, nothing photorealistic, it's super annoying.

I remember buying a PC mag back around 2005 and it hyped up OLED displays and said they would be cheap and readily available by 2007.

Yeah I was sure I'd have an oled in my flying car by now :( It's kinda frustrating because lcd is the only option for 4k but they seem to be particularly bad for sports with all those blurry camera pans so I don't think that will work. Or are there some lcd tv's out there that aren't bad for motion blur? Maybe the ones I looked at were just slow. Is the motion blur purely a matter of how fast an lcd tv's "black to white" speed is for a given pixel? I remember they used to rate lcd pc monitors for that but I don't know if they reveal that spec for tv's.

Yeah I was sure I'd have an oled in my flying car by now :( It's kinda frustrating because lcd is the only option for 4k but they seem to be particularly bad for sports with all those blurry camera pans so I don't think that will work. Or are there some lcd tv's out there that aren't bad for motion blur? Maybe the ones I looked at were just slow. Is the motion blur purely a matter of how fast an lcd tv's "black to white" speed is for a given pixel? I remember they used to rate lcd pc monitors for that but I don't know if they reveal that spec for tv's.

Good (=very expensive) LCDs are better at motion than lesser LCDs. The problem is that coming from a good plasma, motion and all the other issues of LCDs are painful to have to watch. And I wouldn't even consider myself one of those IQ snobs who professionally calibrate their TVs. The difference is just so glaring, I was very, very disappointed that Panasonic stopped plasma production after spending all that money to buy Pioneer's plasma division. At least mine will last me a few more years.

Because Panasonic, like other companies, couldn't make money in TVs. OLED was "discovered" in the '80s but there must not have been enough profits to roll into R&D to develop these new display technologies.

Sony and Panasonic may be looking to but panels from LG to make OLED TVs.

Also some speculation that Apple may be working on a high end TV but that doesn't seem likely.

Good (=very expensive) LCDs are better at motion than lesser LCDs. The problem is that coming from a good plasma, motion and all the other issues of LCDs are painful to have to watch. And I wouldn't even consider myself one of those IQ snobs who professionally calibrate their TVs. The difference is just so glaring, I was very, very disappointed that Panasonic stopped plasma production after spending all that money to buy Pioneer's plasma division. At least mine will last me a few more years.

Do you happen to know which lcd's are considered to be the good ones, irregardless of price? I don't expect them to match even my old plasma's, but maybe I can find one that hits the good enough mark.

Do you happen to know which lcd's are considered to be the good ones, irregardless of price? I don't expect them to match even my old plasma's, but maybe I can find one that hits the good enough mark.

Why do you not go look at them?

You might want to check last years Sony W905 or the new model that just came out.

This review is for the older model.
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-kdl55w905a-201305172987.htm?page=Performance

Sony’s motion-compensated frame interpolation system is called [Motionflow], which comes in 6 flavours on the KDL55W905A: “Standard“, “Smooth“, “True Cinema“, “Clear“, “Clear Plus” and “Impulse“

The last three options increased motion resolution to 1080 lines.

Both “Clear” and “Clear Plus” are viable options to boost motion resolution without evident side effects.

Why do you not go look at them?

For the obvious reasons, first being that asking the sales people for 100+ remote controls so that I can turn off frame interpolation and tweak other settings isn't going to happen, and/or because many of the tv's are displaying static screens to show off the tv's in their best light, especially with 4k tv's which are almost never showing a feed with any motion in it at all. And of course not every model is on display in every store.

You might want to check last years Sony W905 or the new model that just came out.

This review is for the older model.
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-kdl55w905a-201305172987.htm?page=Performance

Cool I'll check it out. I generally like to get opinions from people that have owned plasma's, because sometimes people that have only owned led tv's won't really know about the issues that tend to drive me nuts with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the obvious reasons, first being that asking the sales people for 100+ remote controls so that I can turn off frame interpolation and tweak other settings isn't going to happen, and/or because many of the tv's are displaying static screens to show off the tv's in their best light, especially with 4k tv's which are almost never showing a feed with any motion in it at all. And of course not every model is on display in every store.

Cool I'll check it out. I generally like to get opinions from people that have owned plasma's, because sometimes people that have only owned led tv's won't really know about the issues that tend to drive me nuts with them.

I was going to comment on tuna's above post, then I remembered his usual way of posting and thought better of it.
I've only seen Samsung TVs in action, in houses, in real life situations which is what you need (definitely not a bright store). I haven't seen the local dimming LED displays which cost way too much for any of my friends to purchase, but any of the other Samsung LED TVs I've seen in people's houses had, for me, completely unacceptable black levels and screen uniformity. Then when things start moving you see how things move. Pure pain.
That's why I hate going to friends' houses for 'movie night' and always push to do them at mine. I just can't bear it, so I always make up excuses or just offer food or alcohol just so we can watch whatever movie on my TV :LOL:

You do not have to look at every TV, just the ones you are interested in. Also, it is very easy to bring your own display source such as a laptop or even a PS3.

Further, most big box stores have excellent return policies. You can return stuff no questions asked, so it is very easy to try out the TV at home as well. If you go to a more HiFi oriented store they will often lend you stuff.

And if you are really desperate to look at one particular TV that is not available anywhere near you can always order it from amazon or equivalent. If you do not like it just ship it back.

That's why I hate going to friends' houses for 'movie night'...
Ha ha! Man, I know that feeling. TVs with borked colours and super sharpness and the volume way too low or way too high. Watching films round some people's houses can be frustrating. ;)

...stuff to try...
Um...and you really think that's simpler and more convenient than asking for people's opinions? I'd have thought the very best approach is get advice to firstly ascertain if there's any TV that can offer the desired qualities, then see about testing a few select short-listed models. Starting with buying and returning every TV you can until you find one you want isn't particularly standard consumer practice, and would completely screw with the poor retailers who'd end up with loads of opened B-stock.

Ha ha! Man, I know that feeling. TVs with borked colours and super sharpness and the volume way too low or way too high. Watching films round some people's houses can be frustrating. ;)
The most awe-inspiring experience of all is when someone has the aspect ratio settings incorrect, and when you fix it, they complain that now the image is stretched.

//===================

Unfortunately I don't own any particularly amazing flat panel TVs right now, but I'm painfully aware of our LED's static contrast. One time I decided to stick an SD CRT next to it and run the same video to both. I chose to load up Truth and Reconciliation from Halo 1, which features the bright arc of the sunlit ring cutting across the black night sky. On the CRT, the ring shone bright, the sky looked deep and rich; on the LED, the scene looked a bit like a piece of white paper on top of a piece of black paper under interior lighting.

x.x

Yeah, you would get POWNED later by my awesome internet discussion skillz!

:)

(Dammit, we need more emojis here.....)

We do have a few you just have to remember as they're not on the list on the right... :yep2: :nope: :runaway: - skillz! Powned! :LOL:

Anyway, even if one had the illogical idea of bringing their own source to the shop to try out every TV they have, the problem is that he/she would still be in the shop with very bright lights shining on the sets. You'd never be able to make a judgment on the set's black level, which is why LCDs looks so much better there than when you take them home.

Anyway, even if one had the illogical idea of bringing their own source to the shop to try out every TV they have, the problem is that he/she would still be in the shop with very bright lights shining on the sets. You'd never be able to make a judgment on the set's black level, which is why LCDs looks so much better there than when you take them home.

It wasn't only the black levels. wasn't it. It was the way motion was reproduced as well. But anyway, shouldn't you look up (on the internet) the sets that seems like the best and then go and try them out?

It wasn't only the black levels. wasn't it. It was the way motion was reproduced as well. But anyway, shouldn't you look up (on the internet) the sets that seems like the best and then go and try them out?

Don't know, maybe it's different elsewhere but in this country TV buying is really not that deep. You read a review, maybe go see it in a shop (if they have it) then buy it online. And hope for the best. The end.

Don't know, maybe it's different elsewhere but in this country TV buying is really not that deep. You read a review, maybe go see it in a shop (if they have it) then buy it online. And hope for the best. The end.

And you rely on people that isn't biased in any way. I have recommended Mac books before Microsoft introduced Windows 8.
When people ask me I go out of my way to stay neutral, and imho that is the best starting point. Ask people you know and trust..

Back