4K Tv and Windows 10

Davros

Legend
For certain reasons I had to switch to using a 4K Toshiba tv as a monitor for a couple of days. First off it was detected as a Generic pnp monitor by windows in device manager. Secondly the desktop seemed to be to big for the resolution (which was detected correctly as 3840 x 2160 @60hz) I couldn't see the windows start button and the part on the taskbar where you type stuff in the were off screen also I couldn't see the title bar on any program I ran they were also off screen. Next normally the Nvidia control panel would load and put and icon for the control panel in the notification area that didn't happen. Normally I would access the Nvidia control panel or display setting by right clicking on the desktop and selecting the option from the menu, but that didn't work either, what you happen is the desktop would momentarily turn blue and the go back to the desktop no right click menu would show up.
Thankfully I'm back to using a proper monitor now but using the tv was just awful.

TVs do weird cropping & scaling stuff (which I'm guessing dates back to the days of overscan/underscan on CRTs?) that really screws things up when fed from a PC. Some TVs have a dedicated 1:1 mode which does away with all of this.

They also apply sharpening by default which can make desktop-sized text look crap. Turning that off improves matters. Oddly enough I've seen this on a number of monitors too. I guess there's a reason but I've no idea what it might be.

got a 4K TV but I prefer to play and everything on my 1440p monitor. The TV does allow for some nice built-in 32:9 resolutions though, but nothing that you can't achieve with the app called CRU.

Look for a setting called 1:1 or something similar, as @nutball indicated. My current TV doesnt have something like that, 4K is shown correctly, but my previous TV had that 1:1 setting. Also your TV should have a PC mode.

Back