3DTV - breaks your 3D perception.

Well, after around 10 years of 3D gaming I've just been for an eye test and I'm still the only one in my family with no need for prescription glasses. :LOL:

Well I view 3D content a lot at work and I don't go running into walls or anything.

Kids tend to stay infront of TV for horus each day, or console/PC. I am sure there are studies about how kids and adults spend their time. That said I wouldn't even touch games like KZ3 which has lower resolution for 3D with a 20 foot long pole. 3D, PS2 bluriness and serious eye fatigue? No thank you, aint a fanatic enough to damage my eyes. You only got 2 eyes.

Actually, long hours of watching TV or monitor may damage your eyes, with or without 3D.

Everything should be used in moderation.

Kids under 6 are recommended not to use 3D for potential eye problems. Some may also be terrified by the realism, like in those 3D theaters in theme parks. My kid did. For adults, the added immersion may be what we are looking for.

The vendors also recommended that pregnant women should not watch 3DTV in case they don't feel comfortable after the experience.

If they can perfect 3D techniques, it would be a good thing because we are borned with the capability. We can easily pick out more info from the view.

Actually, long hours of watching TV or monitor may damage your eyes...

True and with 3D even more of a damage. Moderate use is of importance but when it comes to gaming "moderate" is not just some hours...

3D is also used as medical aid:
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=57998

Use at your own discretion. ^_^
If you feel bad viewing it, then stop. There's always 2D images embedded in 3D content.
If you feel bad while others are enjoying it, then remind them that they can switch to 2D for you.

If the author says viewing it in theater is okay, I don't see why viewing it at home from time to time is bad.

You dont give medical treatment to the healthy persons...

"9 out of 10 doctors smoke Camel and they sure know what is good for you!"

That is from a commercial.

I remember watching some of the propaganda and recommendations by doctors, professionals and studies showing smoking to be safe. Good for digestion, helps you relax, fashionable. Sure aint putting both in same category as for problems they create but I'll think being on the carefull side is a positive thing. Dont care about being fashionable, suck up to companies etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lazy eye is not uncommon:
https://health.google.com/health/ref/Amblyopia

Like many things, 3D can be good or bad to you depending on how you use it. Healthy people can certainly enjoy 3D movies and games.

Those ads and propaganda were funded by the tobacco companies. As far as I know, none of the TV manufacturers came out to say 3D is good for you. It's a display tech, great for showing depth info on a "flat" screen. That is all. If you want to be fasionable or suck up to companies, I supposed there are many other ways to do so.

I remember when TV was first introduced, I was told my grand parents were afraid of the radiation from the tube. Same for cellphone today. We need to be diligent about tech usage for any new tech.

In traditional monoscopic gaming we have a bunch of 3D cues there and a bunch missing. We add one more cue when going to stereo (which still leaves a bunch missing). Why would this particular cue going to cause people more problems than before?

We associate distance with apparent size. I am perfectly able to dissasociate gaming with reality so I don't try to focus further away when looking at enemy pixels coming over the horizon.

The only troubles I've ever had with gaming is feeling nauseus when playing Half Life 2, and that went away after turning the field of view up; and feeling the same nausea after gaming in stereo with the separation turned up too high. It felt exactly like being travel sick. Lets ban automotive transport wihle we're at it.

In traditional monoscopic gaming we have a bunch of 3D cues there and a bunch missing. We add one more cue when going to stereo (which still leaves a bunch missing). Why would this particular cue going to cause people more problems than before?

One problem is stereo image may "trick" your eyes to focus on an object which is not there, so there is a conflict between the real focus plane (where the images are) and the virtual 3D object. This is why some people have problem watching 3D movies.

One of the solution is to make the virtual objects further than the image (that is, they appear "inside" the image, instead of in front of the image). Most recent 3D movies follow this formula. For example, when you watch Avatar it's like watching through a window. This is less stressful to your eyes than some fancy 3D effects which tries to put some virtual objects between you and your TV.

You dont give medical treatment to the healthy persons...

"9 out of 10 doctors smoke Camel and they sure know what is good for you!"

That is from a commercial.

I remember watching some of the propaganda and recommendations by doctors, professionals and studies showing smoking to be safe. Good for digestion, helps you relax, fashionable. Sure aint putting both in same category as for problems they create but I'll think being on the carefull side is a positive thing. Dont care about being fashionable, suck up to companies etc.

What they don't tell you is that there is actually only 9 out of 10 doctors. They only surveyed 10 doctors and not random sampling either. If they said 90% of all doctors it would be false advertising. I think they did the same crap with dentists and toothbrush.

Anyway I'm thinking of getting 3D TV to fix my lazy eye, it most likely won't work. But from my 3D demo there was one single moment where the image sort of leap out even a little bit from the screen for a second or so, before the 3D dissapear again, so I am fingers crossed.

One problem is stereo image may "trick" your eyes to focus on an object which is not there, so there is a conflict between the real focus plane (where the images are) and the virtual 3D object. This is why some people have problem watching 3D movies.

One of the solution is to make the virtual objects further than the image (that is, they appear "inside" the image, instead of in front of the image). Most recent 3D movies follow this formula. For example, when you watch Avatar it's like watching through a window. This is less stressful to your eyes than some fancy 3D effects which tries to put some virtual objects between you and your TV.

When I demo 3D TV with Monsters Vs Aliens, when I managed to get the 3D to work I don't see the image pop out, like how I imagined it would be, but it looks like the characters were inside an aquarium. I wouldn't call it looking through a window, because is not, it's like looking through an aquarium or 3D stage. It's freaking weird. But with me I struggled to maintain this 3Dness, as the picture revert back to 2D most of the time. So I was going in and out of this 3Dness, it was quite a weird experience overall.

So you're saying recent 3D movies don't pop out of the screen at all ? but more like watching through a window ?

When I demo 3D TV with Monsters Vs Aliens, when I managed to get the 3D to work I don't see the image pop out, like how I imagined it would be, but it looks like the characters were inside an aquarium. I wouldn't call it looking through a window, because is not, it's like looking through an aquarium or 3D stage. It's freaking weird. But with me I struggled to maintain this 3Dness, as the picture revert back to 2D most of the time. So I was going in and out of this 3Dness, it was quite a weird experience overall.

So you're saying recent 3D movies don't pop out of the screen at all ? but more like watching through a window ?

That's now the dominant effect, though you still get the occasional popout. The best effects imho are the smaller ones such as traveling (fast or slow) thru a scene or closeups. In fact, the most effective 3Dness of The Legends of the Guardians were the closeups of the owls heads, simply stunning.

When gaming I generally prefer the objects to be 'behind' the screen*, though there are a couple of exceptions that employ pop out quite nicely. During the pause menu DMC 4 has pickups fly slightly out of the screen and across it then they remain floating in front of the screen. As the object starts behind the plane of the screen your eyes can track it as it floats out quite easily. The other good thing about it is that the objects never cross the edge of the screen either.

The other times are really just me fiddling about to get pop-out effects, such as climing a wall in tomb raider - and making the wall the same percieved distance as the screen, so it appears lara croft is climbing up the monitor.

* this is not what I expected when I imagined what 3D content would be before I saw it. I thought I'd be ducking every few seconds and trying to grab things out of the air. Still very impressed with the 'small stage' effect. I don't think it's fair to say 'aquarium' as the refraction of light flattens the depth in that situation, and there's no reason to play with the depth that low unless you want to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have fantastic 3d perception, too good, so good that I cant have wallpaper with a repeating pattern because it turns into a sterogram and my icons start floating in space

I used to get that with the fabric in the ceiling of my Dad's car when I was little. It had loads of dark holes in it in a repeating pattern which meant you could focus much further out, or closer and it still looked a proper view.

I'd blame yours on acid flashbacks though. :p

I had this experience a little after I started using my 65" 3dtv...

I had had a lenghty 6 hour session of playing various 3d enabled games... the day after that, I was driving my car and I felt like my depth perception was a lot better than before. I could more accurately perceive how far incoming traffic was, I thought I could approximate lot more accurately how far ahead the car in front of me was. I wasn´t having as much problems turning left as I had before, I could go through narrower holes... and do that safely.

I did however also have false depth perception of text and background layout on this forum being "3d". The text seemed to pop more than before...

Now that I´ve gotten more accustomed to the 3dtv however, I notice no difference in everyday life whether I´ve watched/played the previous night or not... But I still feel more comfortable in traffic. I think something just clicked in my brain. Dunno. But it seems as though it helped me.

Yeah my wife and I had a similar experience coming out of seeing Shrek Forever in the cinema.

Back