Why most 3D game go "inside" rather than "pop outside" ?

This is why I shouldn't read threads about TVs. Just ordered a 49" Sony X8505. 4K passive 3D 'triluminos' panel, 4K X-Reality Pro processor. Quite an upgrade over my four year old 40" Sony KDL 40EX703.

Arrives Sunday morning - poor timing as I'll likely be slogging through The Last of Us Remastered.

Measured, measured again and re-measured. 55" won't fit.

Have not told the girlfriend. Maybe she won't notice :nope:

I work hard for my shiny toys :yep2: Plus I'm 43, my mortgage is almost paid off and I ditched my car some years ago. As you get older, and have bought the stuff you need, you'll find it's easier to save money for life's little luxuries :)

I don't know what game developers think about this, but have some personal opinions about film... ;)

I think it's a very bad practice to do pop-out objects and it's been used only as gimmicks. Most talented directors use it very carefully and very sparsely, or avoid it completely.

Because the screen itself is further back from the virtual object, the screen edges clips the object in a way that cannot make any sense to your brain (so, headaches). No such thing occurs for far objects, because the screen clips exactly like a window would.

Your eyes also have a tendency to try to refocus on closer object, causing headaches because there are two different mechanisms in your brain that are fighting each other, it can converge but cannot focus. The eyes will always try to focus to the actual screen, which the sharp edge always provide a reference. The screen being the closest reference, it makes the eyes comfortable focusing there all the time, The eyes don't try to converge, and they don't try to focus. They will relax because everything is always sharp anyway from that distance and forward.

There are a lot of differences in screen sizes and distance (different theaters, TV sizes, sitting positions, etc...) causing a gigantic error with front objects, but there's a nice tolerance for back objects. What's interesting for VR is that there's an opportunity to have a "perfect" projection and in theory there's no actual "pop-out" since the screen is very close to your eyes. It's going to be a big improvement because it's the only way to get a 3D that is geometrically perfect for everybody.
Very nice comment. After trying Crysis on 3D I gotta say that I prefer the feeling of the TV to be like a 3D box having things confined within that box and having only the HUD popping out.

I loved that boxed diorama feeling and I want 3D to become the norm. The only issue I have with VR is how hefty those things seem to be, and a bit obtrusive to combine them with your real life senses.

Back