3D Dot Heroes (From Software)

obonicus

Veteran
New game from From Software (Demon Souls, Ninja Blade, Chromehounds, Tenchu, Otogi, Armored Core, lots of stuff).

So far, announced only for PS3, no US publisher either.

Official website: http://www.3d-heroes.net/

More on the background here: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/08/20/3d_dot_game_heroes/

3D Dot Game Heroes' background story starts off in the Kingdom of Dotnia, a world not unlike a 2D 16-bit era sprite-based RPG. Long ago, the Kingdom was protected by six wise men and six orbs which contained the power of the gods. However, the Dark Demon King, seeking their power, stole the orbs and captured the wise men. Demons began to flood the Kingdom, whose end was thought to be near. But it was at that time that a young warrior appeared from seemingly nowhere, saved the wise men and returned the orbs to their rightful place. Following a great battle, the warrior and the wise men combined the orbs into one and sealed the Demon King away.

The Kingdom prospered for some time after that. However, as time passed, and the story of the young warrior became a legend, visitors stopped coming to the Kingdom. It was then that the King made the decision: "From now on, it will be the 3D era." Under orders from the King, the Kingdom was changed from 2D to 3D, and began progressing towards a restoration of past grandeur. But just as people began to get used to their new life, something happened.

And the real reason I'm posting it here is because it looks pretty crazy. Unique, for sure.

16k2on9.jpg

aac6yd.jpg

More screenshots at the Andriasang blog above.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG! That's just crazy! It's like the LEGO games, but crazier. I like it a lot though, for some reason it looks really appealing. And it's out in November.

:devilish:

How dare you mention From Software and NOT have OTOGI as the first game you mention! For shame!

I was going to, but then I thought: 'should I mention Otogi but skip Chromehounds?' And then I didn't want to go WP From Software and include 1500 titles. So I went with the latest high-profile titles! Sorry!

Should I hold my breathe for this one coming to US shores ?

They need to show how a character die in this game. Does it disintegrate ? :)

This should prove the superiority of voxels once and for all.

Oh I see Shifty already used that :(

From the aliasing shadowing, I presume they're just boxed edges with matching textures. At least, it would be extremely stupid to keep thousands of boxes together all the time. Change geometry when exploding the character to thousands of boxes.. not sure, do characters explode? :D

Still, looks very hot, I really dig the lighting with DOF shots.

From the aliasing shadowing, I presume they're just boxed edges with matching textures. At least, it would be extremely stupid to keep thousands of boxes together all the time. Change geometry when exploding the character to thousands of boxes.. not sure, do characters explode? :D

Looks like they do:

zlrseh.jpg

I'm not actually saying they are, but they could be. It makes far more sense to represent this world as voxels rather than meshes.

Those shapes in the screenshots can be built from a few hundred polygons per model, and then they can render them without writing a completely different engine that couldn't make much use of the GPU.

They can be rendered on screen as polygons still. I'm just thinking that the memory to store a character would be something like a 17x11x11 array of x,y,x positions and colour, and it'd be a doddle to build the objects and scenery. But then I suppose the hardware doesn't really need those low requirements. ;)

Back